Kexikus

[WIP] High quality skyboxes

Those clouds look really good to me!! Nice and subtle, and an excellent touch. They seem quite realistic and are a good fit for Tatooine.

Drool....droooolllll......

There is no emoticon for the awesomeness!!!

Seriously, that looks unreal, that's how real it looks.

Just a request - can we get a before and after screenshot...? Only so I can drool more...

Kexikus these are truly beautiful. You should be very very proud. 

Drool....droooolllll......

There is no emoticon for the awesomeness!!!

Seriously, that looks unreal, that's how real it looks.

Just a request - can we get a before and after screenshot...? Only so I can drool more...

Kexikus these are truly beautiful. You should be very very proud. 

Thank you :D

And for the comparison: Here's a post I made ages ago that has a similar screenshot just without the clouds.

http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/3008-wip-high-quality-skyboxes/?p=31522

Edit:

Are there any mods aside from BoS:SR that have custom skyboxes and that anyone would like me to coverin this pack?

Thank you :D

And for the comparison: Here's a post I made ages ago that has a similar screenshot just without the clouds.

http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/3008-wip-high-quality-skyboxes/?p=31522

Oh...I meant a before an after like Vanilla vs Mod. Because I'm in Tatooine right now in my game (had to reinstall after K1R and Rece's Crystal mod... just had to  :unworthy: )... and I actually twitching here in my seat with the decision to keep going or wait until your reworks come out. Cuz Taris was pretty good with another re-texture mod installed (Think it was one of Xarrwarz re-skins). Your skyboxes are GREAT.

Yours actually looks like I'm staring out into the Dune Sea...

Is there anyone here who has experience in destroying buildings with Photoshop or some other image editing software and would be willing to do so for a few buildings in my BoS:SR Taris backdrop?

If so, please let me know and if not I'll try some more stuff myself (but the results are not promising as of yet^^) or the buildings will remain intact.

Otherwise, the BoS:SR skyboxes are coming along nicely. The Taris one will need some more Photoshop work aside from what I asked for above. The Unknown world one will also be easy as soon as the vanilla Unknown world skybox is done. And then there are two Korriban skyboxes. One of them is going to be the same as in vanilla, while the other one will be a new one. If you're wondering, yes they are both the vanilla one in the original BoS:SR but for some reason they don't share the same files, so I'll be able to get creative with them :)

@ djnugent:

No comparison like that right now, sorry. But if you're on Tatooine anyway, you can have a look and compare for yourself ;)

Is there anyone here who has experience in destroying buildings with Photoshop or some other image editing software and would be willing to do so for a few buildings in my BoS:SR Taris backdrop?

If so, please let me know and if not I'll try some more stuff myself (but the results are not promising as of yet^^) or the buildings will remain intact.

I might be able to offer my services. ;)

Why do you need to destroy buildings for the BOS:SR skybox?

I was thinking that since it's wartime when you visit Taris in BoS:SR it'd be awesome if you could see how some buildings were destroyed during the war.

I might be able to offer my services. ;)

I'll send you a PM as soon as the texture is ready to be edited and thank you very much :)

If you have a version that is complete without the destroyed buildings, I would be interested in that too.

The BoS:SR Korriban skyboxes are done.

2015-08-03_00002_zpsexue8qmv.jpg

2015-08-03_00001_zpsx7dikhpq.jpg

The first one is just the same as my original Korriban skybox, again with modified fog colours.

The second one was really cool to work on and I quite like the way it came out. Luckily I was able to recycle much of the Tatooine and Korriban terrain nodes to make it, meaning that making the skybox was a fairly quick process :)

• Like 2

Cool one! Especially the second one...

I probably wont have the time, but i read that its possible - even if these mods use existing Tatooine/Korriban? levels, to assign further texture  variants to them (even if you already use a texture pack for all planets)....

So  just for you to know, when making skyboxes for modded planets/areas, your not limited to the vanilla setting - e.g. the 2nd scenery doesnt have to be in desert, but could be very well be changed for e.g. sth. totally different like here:

http://images.fotocommunity.de/bilder/bach-fluss-see/fluesse-und-kanaele/steinwueste-7f0abc3c-7cb7-4d30-9b9b-2338e4fe7f81.jpg

Cool one! Especially the second one...

I probably wont have the time, but i read that its possible - even if these mods use existing Tatooine/Korriban? levels, to assign further texture  variants to them (even if you already use a texture pack for all planets)....

So  just for you to know, when making skyboxes for modded planets/areas, your not limited to the vanilla setting - e.g. the 2nd scenery doesnt have to be in desert, but could be very well be changed for e.g. sth. totally different like here:

http://images.fotocommunity.de/bilder/bach-fluss-see/fluesse-und-kanaele/steinwueste-7f0abc3c-7cb7-4d30-9b9b-2338e4fe7f81.jpg

Sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean :/

Sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean :/

oh, i just meant this:

BosSR has levels extracted from Korriban - so you did a Korriban themed Skybox for it - which is nice!

But, as described here: 

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=175101

its possible to retexture Mod A (with extracted levels from Korriban) with a totally different exterior - for example like shown in the pic above.

For your skyboxes that means, you can do whatever you like - you can add lakes in the distance, it doesnt matter,

basically it gives you the possibility to change the visuals to that degree, that you dont recognize its originally a level extracted from Korriban.

edit: sorry im just a bit overworked right now, so the explanation was a bit complicated...

@Jorak Uln:

Well, those BoSSR levels that you saw on my screenshots above are not extracted from Korriban. One of them is from Tatooine, then there are two more from Dantooine and one that's completely custom (not shown on my screenshots). I assume that Silveredge did exactly what is described in the link above to make those areas look like Korriban with new sets of textures as that's where these parts of the mod take place. That's also why I was able to use two different skyboxes for the desert area and the three other mountain modules. They simply use different sets of textures even though their skybox looks the same in the original BoSSR.

And since the mountain area has basically the same landscape as the vanilla Korriban modules, I also used the same skybox for them.

So yeah, none of the vanilla skyboxes will be overwritten by those BoSSR skyboxes but you will instead have some more variety where the same skyboxes were used by BoSSR originally.

(And that picture you linked doesn't work by the way.)

Can I ask how the progress is going?

You can ;)

The answer would be slowly but kinda steady. The thing is that I'm in the middle of my summer exams so I don't have that much time to work on those skyboxes. But that's not the only reason.

So here's what's going on:

Taris BoSSR:

The skybox here is basically done, I only need to tweak the colors some more to get it good looking ingame. Then I also need to make the version that shows some of the damage the war has done, but that shouldn't take long as Malkior is helping me there and already made good progress.

Unknown World:

The Unknown World skybox is almost done in Terragen, the only thing still missing is the big crashed ship you can see in the distance. Luckily, Quanon started making a model I can use for that but I don't know how long that'll take and I certainly don't want to rush him. But once that's done all that's left is rendering and editing in Photoshop. That won't take too long.

The same applies for the sunset skybox on the Unknown World and since I'll reuse that one for the BoS:SR skybox on the Unknown World I can only do so much for now.

But that's all that's left to do, so it's just a matter of time and I hope everything will be done quite soon :)

• Like 1

I have a model of the Hammerhead ship I used for another project, I could upload it as a modder's resource perhaps...

I have a model of the Hammerhead ship I used for another project, I could upload it as a modder's resource perhaps...

Well, that's not quite what I'm looking for, but if you want to go through the trouble of making an .obj file from it for me to use I wouldn't mind that. But it's not really necessary :)