Kexikus

[WIP] High quality skyboxes

362 posts in this topic

A beautiful work so far! Just one observation though: I think the blank backdrop for Telos academy´s hangar is to show that snow has covered the forcefield (this is even seen in the take off cutscene), so I don´t think you have to change that. Otherwise very good work.

8 hours ago, Spectrometer said:

A beautiful work so far! Just one observation though: I think the blank backdrop for Telos academy´s hangar is to show that snow has covered the forcefield (this is even seen in the take off cutscene), so I don´t think you have to change that. Otherwise very good work.

I know that this was Obsidians intention but I honestly think that it looks terrible, which is why I changed it. But if you don't like it, you'll be able to easily change it back by removing a few files from the Override.

More progress:

I was originally going to do Nar Shaddaa next but my idea of getting the buildings from SWTOR proved more complicated than expected/hoped.

So instead I worked some more on Dxun. I remade big parts of its landscape, added bushes etc. There's still a lot to do but here's what I have:

H5FT3X0l.jpg

Then I also started working on Malachor. That one turned out really well so far. The clouds are still very much a placeholder but the terrain is pretty close to being done.

X8LiQYph.jpg

The green glow on the ground comes from my attempts of having a low fog that's lit from below. That's partially working but the ground glowing green is an unintended sideeffect that's maybe impossible to get rid of. In that case I'll have to find another solution or just skip the green glow from below *insert spooky music here*

• Like 3

I'm still alive:

vtfoqMvh.png

Not very impressive, I know but at least it's something^^

The models for Malachor are done as is the terrain pretty much. The clouds are still the same placeholders as before but with a different sun position which makes them look even worse. Next up is finishing the sky and then tune the terrain color. But I like where this is going already.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 10:47 PM, Kainzorus Prime said:

Perhaps Quanon's old work would give you some ideas?

It already did. I had at some point in the distant past even made some clouds for an updated version of Quanons reskin, but I'm not sure if he ever finished that update.

In any case, I've been playing around with the Malachor clouds for some weeks now and never got a result that I was really happy with. It wasn't bad but it never looked like a proper storm.

But that changed this morning. For this latest version I created a huge cloud vortex and also learned some new stuff that allowed me to have a more interesting cloud underside while having a fully covered sky. Here's what it looked like after a first ingame test:

vwXwCZUh.png

I have since recolored the clouds green and changed some of the twisting in the clouds as well. Now I just want to get a little more contrast, i.e. darker dark parts of the clouds and then the sky might actually be finished.

Oh, and I also created a new lightning texture that I wanted to show here but it didn't end up on the screenshot... I'll try to do better next time.

• Like 1

Now for an interesting question - would it be possible to have an ANIMATED skybox? You know, in the same way we have animated Holocron textures and such, using proceduralcycle argument in the TXI file. Would look really nice with a vortex if it worked properly.

46 minutes ago, Kainzorus Prime said:

Now for an interesting question - would it be possible to have an ANIMATED skybox? You know, in the same way we have animated Holocron textures and such, using proceduralcycle argument in the TXI file. Would look really nice with a vortex if it worked properly.

Yeah, that'd work just the same but it's just not feasible. An animation like that would probably need 20+ frames and considering that each frame is already 2048x2048 you can imagine how big of a file that would give.

I have however thought about using a model animation to get a similar result. I might play around with that but I'm not sure if it'll be worth the effort considering that the Malachor skybox is rarely visible anyway.

9 hours ago, Kexikus said:

Yeah, that'd work just the same but it's just not feasible. An animation like that would probably need 20+ frames and considering that each frame is already 2048x2048 you can imagine how big of a file that would give.

I have however thought about using a model animation to get a similar result. I might play around with that but I'm not sure if it'll be worth the effort considering that the Malachor skybox is rarely visible anyway.

Kex, please let me know of your findings as it may make possible a project I've been trying to finish for nearly a decade.