Kexikus

[WIP] High quality skyboxes

I can't believe I just found out about this project! These look absolutely brilliant, Kexikus. Between your skyboxes and Jorak's textures, KotOR's going to feel like brand new game :D

Nothing new to report but I have a request:

Could someone extract the Anchorhead model from the game and convert it to a .obj file for me? That'd allow me to replace another low resolution backdrop texture I came across.

To be more specific: I need some kind of Tatooine city model and figured that Anchorhead would probably be the easiest to get. My idea was to extract the model used in the Dune Sea module without the city walls. So if anyone feels like doing that, let me know, as I have no knowledge about these things at all :D Thanks.

Edit: Thanks to Darth Parametric, I have what I need.

• Like 1

It's quite hard to see but some of the buildings in the distance are 2d sprites with my new textures.

post-12766-0-96123200-1440519149_thumb.jpg

But if you compare it to the vanilla look, you'll notice the difference.

Also, it seems like Bioware used a very similar model to the one Darth Parametric extracted for me to make the two building backdrop textures as I was able to find all the building formations.

My texture won't have the exact same buildings in higher resolution as that'd have been too much work but they should look pretty similar now.

I've got a request for all the model makers out there.

Right now, my pack replaces every backdrop or skybox texture with two exceptions. That's not too big of a deal as those two look quite good in their vanilla version but I'd still like to replace them. But to do that I'd need a custom model I can then render for the textures and that's my request. If anyone wants to make those, let me know :D

Here are the two (actually three) textures I was talking about, showing which models I need:

post-12766-0-85464400-1441443221_thumb.jpg

post-12766-0-25573500-1441443224_thumb.jpg

They are used as backdrops on Manaan if that's important in any way.

Any updates on this? When will it be released? I would love to help so it can be released earlier. It looks absolutely beautiful, wouldn't mind an alpha release :)

Any updates on this? When will it be released? I would love to help so it can be released earlier. It looks absolutely beautiful, wouldn't mind an alpha release :D

You could make me the models I asked about in my post above yours ;)

Other than that all that there's nothing you can do.

The release shouldn't be that far away either and I won't do an alpha release.

It's done :D

After 9 months, I just finished the last skybox for this project.

Now I'll have to go through all areas again to see if I missed any mistakes and to take screenshots and then I can finally release them. I won't promise anything but that should happen this weekend.

With K1 done now, you might be wondering what's coming next and well... a break, from skyboxes at least^^

That means that I'll focus on my other projects. It does not mean that I won't do any skyboxes anymore. Some of the older ones in this pack could use a cloud overhaul with my new knowledge, so I might do this at some point. Then there's the Manaan backdrop textures that are still missing and will be missing in the 1.0 release but I hope to include them in a later update. And of course there is TSL with all its skyboxes. I won't start TSL now or even this year most likely (but you never know), but I have ideas for some of the skyboxes and I want to make them reality at some point. But as I said, I need a break and also, Malkior is working on his excellent TSL skybox set, so I don't feel the need to make them ASAP. The one exception to this could be the Coruscant skybox, depending on where the Jedi Temple Enhancement project that was discussed here a while back goes.

So yeah, that's it.

A big thank you to everyone who contributed to this project and/or commented and gave criticism. This is my first big "public" project and you made it a great experience and I'll gladly do more of them, so THANK YOU :D

• Like 2

It's done :D

After 9 months, I just finished the last skybox for this project.

Now I'll have to go through all areas again to see if I missed any mistakes and to take screenshots and then I can finally release them. I won't promise anything but that should happen this weekend.

With K1 done now, you might be wondering what's coming next and well... a break, from skyboxes at least^^

That means that I'll focus on my other projects. It does not mean that I won't do any skyboxes anymore. Some of the older ones in this pack could use a cloud overhaul with my new knowledge, so I might do this at some point. Then there's the Manaan backdrop textures that are still missing and will be missing in the 1.0 release but I hope to include them in a later update. And of course there is TSL with all its skyboxes. I won't start TSL now or even this year most likely (but you never know), but I have ideas for some of the skyboxes and I want to make them reality at some point. But as I said, I need a break and also, Malkior is working on his excellent TSL skybox set, so I don't feel the need to make them ASAP. The one exception to this could be the Coruscant skybox, depending on where the Jedi Temple Enhancement project that was discussed here a while back goes.

So yeah, that's it.

A big thank you to everyone who contributed to this project and/or commented and gave criticism. This is my first big "public" project and you made it a great experience and I'll gladly do more of them, so THANK YOU :D

B-b-b-b-but... KOTOR II skyboxes!! :/

That is freakin AWESOME! I cannot wait to check it out. Please get it up as soon as you can :) Nice work!

Excellent!

Funny. I was playing the other day and I noticed how dreadfully dated the Korriban skybox is. Thought immediately of this mod and how excited I am for it. Here's hoping my graphics card works for this!

Wow, it's been a while since I posted in this thread and sadly there as still no TSL skyboxes from me (yet).

But I've played around with the beta of Terragen 4 which has no feature restrictions and thus allowed me to render skyboxes in 4k. And since I'll most likely get the full version of Terragen 4, I figured I could test 4k skyboxes to see if the hugely increased render times and file sizes are worth it. And they're not. There's barely any visual difference between a 2k and a 4k skybox so I'll skip the quadrupled file sizes and render times for when I get back to making my skyboxes.

Also, with all the skyboxes being posted here on DS lately, I really want to get back to making my own :) I just don't have the time yet, but you can expect me to join the fun in a month or two (hopefully).

I could use some pointers on getting my skyboxes actually rendered. Even at high quality, they look pixelated and/or blurry. Then again, I'm still pretty new in using Terragen..

I could use some pointers on getting my skyboxes actually rendered. Even at high quality, they look pixelated and/or blurry. Then again, I'm still pretty new in using Terragen..

Might I suggest someone making a Terragen tutorial (in the appropriate section)?

All I can suggest is to increase all quality settings of the renderer node and the resolution or course.

Just a quick hint, your K1 Korriban and Dantooine skyboxes can be used in TSL.

All you need to do is rename them, like so:

LKO_sky01.tga  -->  KOR_sky01.tga
LKO_sky02.tga  -->  KOR_sky02.tga
LKO_sky03.tga  -->  KOR_sky03.tga
LKO_sky04.tga  -->  KOR_sky04.tga
LKO_sky05.tga  -->  KOR_sky05.tga

LDA_sky0001.tga  -->  DAN_sky4.tga
LDA_sky0002.tga  -->  DAN_sky3.tga
LDA_sky0003.tga  -->  DAN_sky2.tga
LDA_sky0004.tga  -->  DAN_sky1.tga
LDA_sky0005.tga  -->  DAN_sky5.tga

And, obviously, use the Dantooine green grass version. :)

I know but they'll definetly get a new sky when I make the actual TSL versions, to fit the different mood of the places in TSL. The terrain will stay the same however. But you can use them in the meantime :)

I've got a request for all the model makers out there.

Right now, my pack replaces every backdrop or skybox texture with two exceptions. That's not too big of a deal as those two look quite good in their vanilla version but I'd still like to replace them. But to do that I'd need a custom model I can then render for the textures and that's my request. If anyone wants to make those, let me know :D

Here are the two (actually three) textures I was talking about, showing which models I need:

attachicon.gifManaanBackground.jpg

attachicon.gifManaanRing.jpg

They are used as backdrops on Manaan if that's important in any way.

Time to pick this up and run with it!

Spend some time on another city, I can visit Manaan as well.

Had a good start on that "circle" the landingbay is located. The detailing is simple, since this is a distance shot.

But I can't find a good texture from Manaan areas, that matches better, to the one seen in the real skybox.

It's close, but far to cluttered/ busy to work. Anyone any idea what texture would be a better fit?

Redoing the color to match, isn't an issue. But so far it doesn't look good enough to me.

Here are some preview shots, the fins in the background are a quick mock up ;)

Oh, and this is just 1/4 of the full circle/ tube shape :P

Prevver_zpsjopvqofq.jpg

Prevver2_zpsyvcsjaka.jpg

Wow, I wasn't expecting anyone to pick this request up after such a long time. Thanks for doing that :)

For the texture: Maybe it would be enough to simply reduce the contrast?

Wow, I wasn't expecting anyone to pick this request up after such a long time. Thanks for doing that :D

For the texture: Maybe it would be enough to simply reduce the contrast?

Lol, I was planning on doing these waaaaay sooner. But I never got to it.

That's life I guess; it throws things in the way, so a modder can't get to his business :P

So, I spend most of my time creating a new texture to go with my model, closely eyeballing that one picture you posted.

To get the same feel and look; as best as I could. I'm not really all that well in the texture department.

Then adjusted the UVWmapping a bit. Playing with the render settings 

Picture time!

Also many thanks to Jorak Uln, he created the window texture; and I really love it!

Hope you don't mind me using it on this project Jorak :D

Prev003.jpg

Prev004.jpg

Been working on the other structures for the Manaan skybox. Very much WIP, ugly shadows, need to fix up the smoothing groups and further tweaking the mesh.

But here's a quick preview on how it looks so far.

Prevver8_zpsubpuvcdo.jpg