Kexikus

[WIP] High quality skyboxes

To be honest, I feel like the fog values could really use a good fixing throughout both games. I know it's used to sort of hide issued caused by render distance, but I feel like it could be used more effectively in some cases.

Holy... cow... What's the res on the skybox textures again?

2048x2048 up from vanillas 512x512 :D

And here's a screenshot of the low resolution Dantooine test I did today. I think I'm getting somewhere.

2015-05-07_00002_zpstzt6hvpf.jpg

• Like 1

2048x2048 up from vanillas 512x512 :D

And uh.. are you gonna make k2 versions? or maybe help Malkior render out his skyboxes? This is just.. beautiful!

And uh.. are you gonna make k2 versions? or maybe help Malkior render out his skyboxes? This is just.. beautiful!

I wouldn't be against the help :) I have the 3d Terragen files, the free version just doesn't give me the quality everyone's looking for. :D

Actually, some consistency between the two versions of the planets in both games (Dantooine, Korriban) would be pretty neat.

Just sayin'

Not implying anything  :P

Actually, some consistency between the two versions of the planets in both games (Dantooine, Korriban) would be pretty neat.

Just sayin'

Not implying anything :P

If by "consistency", you mean detail and quality, I couldn't agree with you more, but if you mean color scheme and overall look, then I'm not as keen on it.

My impression at least of Kotor 2, is that these worlds underwent changes, and are a shell of what they formerly stood for, visually.

Dantooine is a misty and cloudy planet due to how " presumably" the atmosphere was polluted with the dirt and smoke that were originally its surface, after the sith bombardment. In Kotor 2, it more visually resembles a mystical and almost etherial quality with almost hints at the centuries of history buried beneath its grassy fields.

Ironically, Korriban is much like Dantooine in terms of history, so it's only appropriate that it would be the only other revisited planet.

In Kotor 2, it has been rendered virtually lifeless, yet again, and has the dimly sunlit and barren landscape, one would come to expect of its legend.

So if the color schemes and visual impressions were to be colorful and at midday, as Kotor 1 is, then I feel we may lose that extra visual impact the Obsidian artists at least attempted to create.

If by "consistency", you mean detail and quality, I couldn't agree with you more, but if you mean color scheme and overall look, then I'm not as keen on it.

By consistency, of course detail, but I meant consistency in landscape as well. Can still be portrayed differently in both games, as the worlds have changed.

But I do understand there is an artistic aspect to these textures, I wouldn't want to force either of you to compromise your version of the skyboxes. Modding = variety, after all :D

I always saw the fall colors of Dantooine in K1 and the greenery of K2 as appropriate to reflect changing seasons.

The original plan was to do them and I even have some ideas what I'd do with certain planets but I want to finish K1 first and then we'll see what happens.

But if I make TSL skyboxes I'm going to use the same terrain for Dantooine and Korriban to achieve consistency but with different lighting and maybe some minor changes.

I wouldn't be against the help :D I have the 3d Terragen files, the free version just doesn't give me the quality everyone's looking for. :D

I don't have the full version of Terragen either ;) I just use more camera angles and some photoshop magic^^

I always saw the fall colors of Dantooine in K1 and the greenery of K2 as appropriate to reflect changing seasons.

There will definetly be a fall version of my Dantooine skybox but since I personally use Green Grass for Dantooine I decided to start with a version fitting this mod.

Top work on Korriban! Looks really fantastic!
Forget my comment on Dantooine, it looks good in game. It's hard to judge, how the skybox textures are going to work out in the game. 
Had to do the same with my Malachor skies. Reminds me I still need to fix that newer version.

I could use some advice :)
A few days ago I posted a picture of my WIP Dantooine skybox. The problem with that version was that its feeling was quite far from the vanilla skybox with its "dreamy" atmosphere, so I made some edits today to try and capture this look. What I'd like to know is which version you prefer.

And here are the pics for comparison:

2015-05-10_00001_zpsowbl8zot.jpg

I also added a short list showing my progress to the first post of this thread.

And even more important: I found free models for Terragen that look like Tarisian buildings, so I'm pretty sure that I can now make that skybox unlike before, when I had no idea how to do that :) And I did some tests for Kashyyyk and that skybox should be possible with my knowledge as well. Now I only need to find a model that I can use for the giant crashed spaceship seen on the Unknown World...

• Like 1

Definitely the second one for me, it gives a fell of calm. The other one is great too, although the second one is more dramatic :) Great work by the way!!

• Like 1

I could use some advice :D

A few days ago I posted a picture of my WIP Dantooine skybox. The problem with that version was that its feeling was quite far from the vanilla skybox with its "dreamy" atmosphere, so I made some edits today to try and capture this look. What I'd like to know is which version you prefer.

And here are the pics for comparison:

2015-05-10_00001_zpsowbl8zot.jpg

I also added a short list showing my progress to the first post of this thread.

And even more important: I found free models for Terragen that look like Tarisian buildings, so I'm pretty sure that I can now make that skybox unlike before, when I had no idea how to do that :D And I did some tests for Kashyyyk and that skybox should be possible with my knowledge as well. Now I only need to find a model that I can use for the giant crashed spaceship seen on the Unknown World...

That sounds very promising. 

As you seen in my thread, im doing a retexture of Taris in SWTOR style, what do you think about making the Tarisian Towers in your skybox fitting the same style? 

About your pictures:

When taking into account, that Dantooine is a moderate climatic planet, i d prefer the first one - the second one displays later evening, looks good too, but note that especially in a game like Kotor, where - due to a lack of dynamic Weather - the skybox stands for the charisma, the atmosphere of a planet, you should always use the most obvious one.

I think the perfect skybox, that catches all the calm, peaceful but also romantic atmosphere of the planet is this one at 0:13 :

As you see, there are much more dramatic rainclouds - if you could get them in the first pic, make it less sunny with a slight turn to red on the horizon it would be fantastic! 

It seems like most people (including me) prefer the second version, so I continued with that one.

But I also had to agree with Jorak Uln, that some more dramatic rain clouds would improve the scenery even more so I clicked through hundreds of random seeds until I found a cloud formation I liked and here's the result:

2015-05-11_00001_zpsgznwlahz.jpg

As always, the sky is to bright and for some reason, there's a lighting difference between the two renders, but the important things are still visible.

I'll also play around with a slight red turn for the horizon, but it won't be as extreme as in the vanilla cutscene.

@ Jorak Uln:
About the Tarisian towers.

I can't really say if I'll be able to do that just yet. I only found some free city models for Terragen with buildings that resemble the Tarisian architecture and I hope that I'll be able to use those for the skybox. If you want to, you could make new textures for those in your style and I could use those instead of the ones included with the model. But you'll have to ask me again once I start with that skybox.

@ Kexikus: 

Now thats an improvement! The clouds are a ton better, and the horizon looks also very atmospheric...

Its almost perfect - theres one thing left that would make a big difference though: 

If you watch the trailer at 0:15 when the E. Hawk glides along the sky the red horizon slowly turns into a hazy blue sky - it would be great if you could implement that...

About Taris:

well, no need to rush. Im currently retexturing the Sith Base, which btw. starts to shine now, and then still the Undercity, Davik & Sewers are to do... 

The sky already turns blue further up. It's really hard to see in this picture (but still visible in the top right corner), but when you look around ingame, you can see that, the higher the sky, the more blue it becomes. And when you look in the opposite direction it's really blue.

Anyway, I'm glad you like it.

Oh, and I did a quick test to see if the city models I found work for Taris and if my computer can handle many buildings and it seems like Taris won't be a problem. And unlike the Kashyyyk test, I'll share this one with you :P

Taris%20Test_zpspt6zuuyd.png

Looks nice. But whats that tower in the middle of the screen? It looks exactly like the one from the old Gothic series...

Edit:

could you upload some screens to see the fading blue sky?

Stunning work Kexikus! Dantooine looks really dreamy, it's perfect.

That Taris shot looks awesome. 

Would you be willing to write a small tutorial on how you do things in Terragen. How to setup the landscape and such.
I've been messing about with the program, but it's all a bit abstract to me with those nodes and stuff.

I'm a visual guy and whenever my mind is confronted with just numbers it goes bonkers ;) lol 

The sky already turns blue further up. It's really hard to see in this picture (but still visible in the top right corner), but when you look around ingame, you can see that, the higher the sky, the more blue it becomes. And when you look in the opposite direction it's really blue.

Anyway, I'm glad you like it.

Oh, and I did a quick test to see if the city models I found work for Taris and if my computer can handle many buildings and it seems like Taris won't be a problem. And unlike the Kashyyyk test, I'll share this one with you :P

Taris%20Test_zpspt6zuuyd.png

I just got to school, and now I need to change my pants, dammit!

Looks nice. But whats that tower in the middle of the screen? It looks exactly like the one from the old Gothic series...

Edit:

could you upload some screens to see the fading blue sky?

I have no idea what that tower is. It's part of the city model I use.

Not the best screenshot but here you go

2015-05-12_00001_zps9kqemldn.jpg

Stunning work Kexikus! Dantooine looks really dreamy, it's perfect.

That Taris shot looks awesome. 

Would you be willing to write a small tutorial on how you do things in Terragen. How to setup the landscape and such.

I've been messing about with the program, but it's all a bit abstract to me with those nodes and stuff.

I'm a visual guy and whenever my mind is confronted with just numbers it goes bonkers ;) lol 

Glad you like it :D

I could try to make such a tutorial, but I don't have that much time right now and I've never written a tutorial before so don't expect anything in the near future.

And I don't think that I understand Terragen either xD Most of the time I spend working with Terragen is spent with endless Google searches for some of those non-existing TG tuturials...

For now I'd recommend a tutorial like this one http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=7733.0 (I used another one but I can't find that :/ )

and checking out the official TG wiki. http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page It's sadly pretty incomplete but there are good descriptions for some shaders/nodes, explaining all the settings. And sometimes, as seen here http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Planet_Atmosphere there are visual comparisons that help quite a lot.

And downloading scenes from other people to play around with helps too, as does try and error in general^^

I just got to school, and now I need to change my pants, dammit!

Sorry :P