Sign in to follow this  
RFaurora

Kotor crashes after video driver update

I had to restart my PC today, and when I came back, AMD Catalyst Control Center told me that I had an update for my video card.  I downloaded the update, installed it, and restarted my PC again.  Now, I can launch KOTOR 1 and get to the screen where I can choose to load a save state.  I have tried every save file I have, but they all load up to a black screen,  and when I hit a key, the game closes completely.  Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, how did you fix it?

So I went to AMD's website to try and investigate this issue.  It appears that the Catalyst Control Center 14.9 is the issue.  There are even reports that 14.9 and the older version 14.4 are damaging video cards.

I did a full uninstall of the  AMD Drivers and software, uninstalled the video card, and installed an older version of the Catalyst Control Center.  The game works now, but I think I forgot to reinstall a mod because now I load in and only see a hexagon on screen.

Same thing happens to my Radeon HD 6870 video card with the game. I have to use AMD Catalyst Drivers 12.10 to get it working right.

It may have been an error on my part when I updated to the 14.9 driver.  When I originally installed the 14.4 version, I didn't know that AMD pushed their own gaming app with the catalyst software, and it caused problems with games I ran off of a separate hard drive before I got my permanent drives.  I uninstalled the gaming app and fixed the issues, but I can't help but wonder if that app caused problems in KOTOR as well.