Atton Rand

Unable to play movies and Resolution issue

I'm running Windows 8 64 bit and the game crashes after the Obsidian movie during the launch of the game. This forced me to disable movies in the game's configuration but is there any way to play the movies without the game crashing? Otherwise it's working fine.

Secondly, my monitor resolution is 1366 x 768 so is there any way to play Kotor 2 in full screen?  The video posted here: http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/2876-please-help-me-with-the-resolution-problem/ is only for full HD screens that's why I'm not following it.

There is a fix for your resolution problem - instead of 765 try with 785 however you must patch the game with uniws patcher.

I tried doing the uniws patching and when I ran the game the main menu was in proper resolution but the game crashed after character creation. So I deleted the swkotor2.exe that came with Squizzy's kotor 2 mod and restored original swkotor2.exe the game runs fine and I'm able to play the prologue but then again it's not in proper resolution.

I think the movie crash is because I have an Intel HD 2000 chipset. I have the latest drivers and I tried moving both the logo movies from the Movies folder and the game reached the main menu fine. In the main menu, I clicked Movies and played the game trailer. The trailer played fine till the end but as soon as it ended, the game crashed. So there isn't a problem in playing the movies, it's just that when the movies finally end, they end with a BANG and crash the game.

I also don't have any additional mods. The game is patched to the latest version and I have TSLRCM and M4-78EP installed too. I think I can come to terms with not playing the game at 1366 x 768 resolution but no movies? C'mon, there has got to be a fix surely?

EDIT: The movies are playing fine in windowed mode, but windowed mode isn't fun... Does anyone know of a way to play this game in full screen mode without the videos causing it to crash?

• Like 1

Okay I might've found something but need a second confirmation.

I recently installed Windows 8.1 and for the first time installed KOTOR 2 today and found that it was widescreen by default. Yes, by default. The vanilla game patched to 1.0b - no mods, not even TSLRCM. I was able to commence the prologue without any crash/issues either.

Can someone else confirm this for me or is this some Sith mind trick?

Sadly, the movie issue remains unresolved and I have to play with "Disable Movies" on.

Awaiting confirmation on the widescreen thingy.

I not sure. I haven't really played kotor2 but with kotor I have my icon pinned to my task bar and yes the movies play but it will lower the screen. I just re click on it and the movie scenes will continue just fine. I have windows 8.1 64 bit. I play 1024 x 768 for screen resolution.  It's like it needs to pause to adjust to the screen resolution.  I don't have a fix over here but I at least don't have to disable the movies and things run fine after it gets it hiccup of a pause. 

The game supports 1024 x 768 natively but I have 1366 x 768. And it was running on widescreen on its own with no issues. The dialogues were fine too. As for the movies, I think it's because of my video card's inabilities as I mentioned on my post above on 6th October.

Can someone confirm this?

If you are running KOTOR 2 on a laptop with Windows 8 and an integrated Intel graphics processor, I can guarantee you that it is not the Intel processor.  The processor is more advanced than anything they had when the game was released.  Try changing the compatibility of KOTOR 2 so that it does the following:  Is compatible with Windows XP(Any service pack), Disable visual themes, disable desktop composition, and make sure the priviledge level is set to run as administrator.  You should just have to right click on the game's launch icon, select Properties, then select the compatibility tab.

Will doing so help me see the movies? As of now I can see movies only if the game is running in windowed mode. Unable to see them in full screen.

As for the resolution thingy- try running the game on Win 8.1 and it'll play on widescreen without any patches or hud fixes required. Even KOTOR 1 runs widescreen on Win 8.1 without any patches. Quite amazing lol

It's not exactly a Win 8.1 "issue" rather a solution/discovery.

Players wanting to play in widescreen may upgrade to Win 8.1 (from Win 8) and won't require any patches/mods. Just wanted to share this with the community so that it can be replicated in Win 7 by modders

You mean no patches/wrappers? It's just natively wide screen when you run it in full screen?

What about the movies though? Do they play normally too now?

If this is a solution/discovery, perhaps you should rename the thread?

Movies can be played only in windowed mode, not in full screen mode. Maybe this can be solved by downloading the HQ movie pack for KOTOR 2. Don't know how to solve movie crashes for KOTOR 1 though.

Hopefully Xuul will be able to use this info for his patch and bring this feature for Win 7 & Win 8 users.

Check THIS out. High Quality movies you can find HERE.

Reinstall the game, clean up everything what left, CCleaner can do it good. Install the game, patch 1.0b, then use resolution trick and instal HQ movies. Everything should work good. You could also update your graphics drivers and DirectX.

Unfortunately, the widescreen patch you have provided works only with Steam versions of the game, and not the retail ones. Anyway, I do not require it since having Windows 8.1 alone is enough to play the game on widescreen.

And regarding the HQ movies, do they still play at the 800 x 600 resolution or some other resolution?

Awesome, I'll give this a shot. There aren't any HQ movies for KOTOR 1 right?

Wish they'd release an HD version of this game...

Mate I'm on Win7 and don't have Steam version of the game. Everything is working fine. Just do as I say.

Install the game and patch, copy a crack (YES you will probably need this unfortunately if you want to play in Wide resolutions.) . Use UNIWS and patch the game, install Wide Screen Fix and change in swkotor2.ini resolutions to ones you want also set FullScreen=1. New resolution will be set automatically. It WILL work, no other option. 

And no, there are no HQ movies for K1.

The method you mention has been tried by me but it didn't work for me.

The problem is because of the crack. SecuROM7 detects that the swkotor2.exe file has been compromised and hence crashes the game when I attempt to load it or start a new game (although the main menu displays fine).

Ewe ontde iscussde rackscre... ':l

Ninja'd...

(Side note: Pig Latin is phonetically exhausting)

Ewe ontde iscussde rackscre... ':l

Ninja'd...

(Side note: Pig Latin is phonetically exhausting)

What does that even mean lol?