Sithspecter

This is the Sleheyron Planet, which is a Work-In-Progress mod for KotOR

Might I ask: Will anyone on Sleheyron mention HK-47 or Yuthura Ban? The reason I ask is that Yuthura used to be a slave on Sleheyron who stabbed her master Omeesh the Hutt who enjoyed torturing his own slaves and she has escaped and HK-47 used to be the assassin droid of the most feared gangster on Sleheyron Bochaba the Hutt, HK killed up to 300 people in a year in Bochaba's service and cleared out at least two Hutt strongholds before the Exchange retaliated and had Bochaba gruesomely assassinated to the point HK firmly believes the residence of Sleheyron had pieces of Bochaba in their soup for weeks, interestingly, HK claims after Bochaba was assassinated a rival Hutt claimed HK with the rest of Bochaba's possessions and sold HK to a senator he often bribed. This could mean the Exchange on Sleheyron is lead by another Hutt.

Will anything related to the above be added to Sleheyron? Even as a mere Easter Egg?

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Might I ask: Will anyone on Sleheyron mention HK-47 or Yuthura Ban? The reason I ask is that Yuthura used to be a slave on Sleheyron who stabbed her master Omeesh the Hutt who enjoyed torturing his own slaves and she has escaped and HK-47 used to be the assassin droid of the most feared gangster on Sleheyron Bochaba the Hutt, HK killed up to 300 people in a year in Bochaba's service and cleared out at least two Hutt strongholds before the Exchange retaliated and had Bochaba gruesomely assassinated to the point HK firmly believes the residence of Sleheyron had pieces of Bochaba in their soup for weeks, interestingly, HK claims after Bochaba was assassinated a rival Hutt claimed HK with the rest of Bochaba's possessions and sold HK to a senator he often bribed. This could mean the Exchange on Sleheyron is lead by another Hutt.

Will anything related to the above be added to Sleheyron? Even as a mere Easter Egg?

Whether it will or not, does it matter too much?

If we are given this planet, as long as it functions in-game, has some sort of story, and looks good, the volume of native gameplay "content" isn't too important, imo... It will be the most fertile ground for add-on modding we have had in a long time, and things like your good ideas will come to fruition one way or another I imagine :)

Might I ask: Will anyone on Sleheyron mention HK-47 or Yuthura Ban? The reason I ask is that Yuthura used to be a slave on Sleheyron who stabbed her master Omeesh the Hutt who enjoyed torturing his own slaves and she has escaped and HK-47 used to be the assassin droid of the most feared gangster on Sleheyron Bochaba the Hutt, HK killed up to 300 people in a year in Bochaba's service and cleared out at least two Hutt strongholds before the Exchange retaliated and had Bochaba gruesomely assassinated to the point HK firmly believes the residence of Sleheyron had pieces of Bochaba in their soup for weeks, interestingly, HK claims after Bochaba was assassinated a rival Hutt claimed HK with the rest of Bochaba's possessions and sold HK to a senator he often bribed. This could mean the Exchange on Sleheyron is lead by another Hutt.

So this is a very difficult thing to deal with, as it presents complications on several levels.

First of all, HK can essentially have no dialog here on Sleheyron due to a lack of a voice actor. It would be great if he could, but unfortunately that's just not the case. The same goes for Yuthura. So essentially neither of the characters tied to Sleheyron in the vanilla game can really have a large and lasting impact on Sleheyron. In addition, both character references to Sleheyron were not invented until after Sleheyron was cut.

HK's timeline is also an issue. If his previous visit to Sleheyron occurs only 1-2 years prior to the PC visiting Sleheyron, there's obviously a huge amount of Hutt turnover happening during that time. The information we have on the original planned plot seems to indicate that Sleheyron is more or less stable prior to the PC's arrival. It would be possible I guess to include many references to HK's activities, but widespread recognition of HK seems to be out of the question due to the voice actor issues.

I suppose that it is possible that the events happened in the same area as are creating and nobody knew that HK-47 killed all those people. He could have operated in a clandestine manner and nobody really knew his true function. This could lead to some more interesting back story and depth to the planet, as well as connection to the rest of the game. It's given me a few ideas. I'll have to think on this more.

I apologize for the slow progress. Work has taken a higher pace than normal and I've also been focused on a few other hobbies. But comments like these are helpful to get the wheels turning again.

• Like 3

First of all, HK can essentially have no dialog here on Sleheyron due to a lack of a voice actor. It would be great if he could, but unfortunately that's just not the case. The same goes for Yuthura. So essentially neither of the characters tied to Sleheyron in the vanilla game can really have a large and lasting impact on Sleheyron. In addition, both character references to Sleheyron were not invented until after Sleheyron was cut.

Yuthura I imagine would have much less of an impact as she is only ever on Dantooine and Korriban VO or not. Perhaps in a Hutt Stronghold, a background NPC guard or something has a line of dialogue stating something like "I hope [Hutt] doesn't get assassinated like Omeesh did by that Twi'lek girl, without [Hutt] I'd have to become a freelance mercenary". A simple reference like that would work perfectly or maybe a Civilian line saying something like "I'm glad that slave girl gave Omeesh what he deserved". Though there is no specific date for when Yuthura was a slave so maybe the lines shouldn't sound too recent.

HK's timeline is also an issue. If his previous visit to Sleheyron occurs only 1-2 years prior to the PC visiting Sleheyron, there's obviously a huge amount of Hutt turnover happening during that time. The information we have on the original planned plot seems to indicate that Sleheyron is more or less stable prior to the PC's arrival. It would be possible I guess to include many references to HK's activities, but widespread recognition of HK seems to be out of the question due to the voice actor issues.

A user called UnusualCharacters does do HK-47 style voice overs. While HK won't have vanilla lines to use it would be possible to have new lines recorded by this actor for the mod.

Though I can understand why you wouldn't want to use that in your mod as of course you want this mod to feel like original game content and not like a mod.

I suppose that it is possible that the events happened in the same area as are creating and nobody knew that HK-47 killed all those people. He could have operated in a clandestine manner and nobody really knew his true function. This could lead to some more interesting back story and depth to the planet, as well as connection to the rest of the game. It's given me a few ideas. I'll have to think on this more.

The HK line about people eating pieces of Bochabba from their soup makes me believe that Sleheyron at the time at least had public food lines, as the Mandalorian Wars had just occurred it wouldn't be hard to believe that refugee's fled to Sleheyron and the sudden increase of population deflated the Sleheyron planetary budget causing millions homeless etc. Though, as Sleheyron is a Hutt controlled world this idea may not work. Perhaps since the Hutts couldn't manage Sleheyron the Exchange with its vast wealth smuggled food and aid to help the economy simply to insert itself in Sleheyron Hutt affairs to exploit the system for their own benefit.

Back to the whole food line thing, perhaps random citizen NPCs who walk around for background purposes say lines like "I hope the Hutt's don't start trouble with the Exchange again, don't know how they managed to do it, but the last something like that happened we had pieces of a Hutt in our rations for weeks".

I apologize for the slow progress. Work has taken a higher pace than normal and I've also been focused on a few other hobbies. But comments like these are helpful to get the wheels turning again.

On the bright side, your modding tools don't suddenly break thanks to an update like mine did, feel like a caveman now. I may ask more questions regarding the Cantina you previewed at a later date.

• Like 2

I apologize for the slow progress.

No apologies necessary. You (and Fair Strides) are doing this out of the kindness of your hearts, without asking for anything in return.

• Like 1

Yuthura I imagine would have much less of an impact as she is only ever on Dantooine and Korriban VO or not. Perhaps in a Hutt Stronghold, a background NPC guard or something has a line of dialogue stating something like "I hope [Hutt] doesn't get assassinated like Omeesh did by that Twi'lek girl, without [Hutt] I'd have to become a freelance mercenary". A simple reference like that would work perfectly or maybe a Civilian line saying something like "I'm glad that slave girl gave Omeesh what he deserved". Though there is no specific date for when Yuthura was a slave so maybe the lines shouldn't sound too recent.

A user called UnusualCharacters does do HK-47 style voice overs. While HK won't have vanilla lines to use it would be possible to have new lines recorded by this actor for the mod.

Though I can understand why you wouldn't want to use that in your mod as of course you want this mod to feel like original game content and not like a mod.

The HK line about people eating pieces of Bochabba from their soup makes me believe that Sleheyron at the time at least had public food lines, as the Mandalorian Wars had just occurred it wouldn't be hard to believe that refugee's fled to Sleheyron and the sudden increase of population deflated the Sleheyron planetary budget causing millions homeless etc. Though, as Sleheyron is a Hutt controlled world this idea may not work. Perhaps since the Hutts couldn't manage Sleheyron the Exchange with its vast wealth smuggled food and aid to help the economy simply to insert itself in Sleheyron Hutt affairs to exploit the system for their own benefit.

Back to the whole food line thing, perhaps random citizen NPCs who walk around for background purposes say lines like "I hope the Hutt's don't start trouble with the Exchange again, don't know how they managed to do it, but the last something like that happened we had pieces of a Hutt in our rations for weeks".

On the bright side, your modding tools don't suddenly break thanks to an update like mine did, feel like a caveman now. I may ask more questions regarding the Cantina you previewed at a later date.

Wasn't this the same guy who voice Hk-47 in the Jedi masters mod? i remember how bloody good he did the impressions of Kristoffer Tabori to the point i thought it was him! he would be a good choice for the role. but of course that's up to the Author of the mod...

Wasn't this the same guy who voice Hk-47 in the Jedi masters mod? i remember how bloody good he did the impressions of Kristoffer Tabori to the point i thought it was him! he would be a good choice for the role. but of course that's up to the Author of the mod...

I find the chances of them being the same is highly unlikely, The Jedi Masters came out around 2009-2012 and UnusualCharacters comes off as a somewhat recent addition to the community though I guarantee UnusualCharacters is still a good option for HK Dialogue (He even does Atton dialogue)

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't work on the Jedi Masters. From what I remember, wasn't it a Microsoft Sam-esque computer voice that did HK in that one? Maybe it was an old version I watched on YouTube. I would be down to record any HK lines requested if the mod creators decide to go that route.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2017 at 1:43 AM, Sithspecter said:

....a preview of the previously unseen cantina!

Spoiler

That is fantastic! You even have the envmap working seamlessly. Marvelous stuff, SS! Looking very forwards to any updates of this amazing project. :cheers:

This mod looks great and I do look forward for this to be one of many mods in my Kotor Experience. Just take your time because I do want you to do a good job.

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

I want my oompa loompa now :(

The Grinch that stole Sleheyron, my greatest contribution to the planet Earth, cannot be made without this mods completion. My zero fans demand action.

Dashus called me last week, just to vent to me that this mod wasn't done yet. He was furious. I told him to suck an egg, but nevertheless.

Dashus called me last week, just to vent to me that this mod wasn't done yet. He was furious. I told him to suck an egg, but nevertheless.

He took time away from machiattos and snuggling? ;)

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn
3 hours ago, Sith Holocron said:

He took time away from machiattos and snuggling? ;)

Releasing mods is therius bizneff :p

I just wanted to turdpost. I do hope all is well Sithspecter, and that you might still occasionally dabble with this. Your contributions to our community speak for themselves; I demand nothing from you.

On 12/13/2018 at 8:15 PM, Qui-Gon Glenn said:

Releasing mods is therius bizneff :p

I just wanted to turdpost. I do hope all is well Sithspecter, and that you might still occasionally dabble with this. Your contributions to our community speak for themselves; I demand nothing from you.

I second this, making this an afterturd post. I would love to compose an original soundtrack to go with the Sleheyron Mod, once it gets rolling from existing modules into a comprehensive storyline project. I can do Jeremy Soule's style and will make the soundtrack dynamic enough to fit in with the other KOTOR tracks, truly making this an enjoyable experience. Just need to get a modder, a scripter, and voice actors now!

• Like 2

I wondered if you might be including a Star Map in this mod and if not thought to suggest re-using the Tatooine Star Forge Ruins for this, removing the .vis file will allow it to render correctly ( though I am not sure how you might do this ) but could always override with a blank .vis file.

Great work so far though and I really look forward to seeing Sleheyron re-introduced to the game!

• Like 2

I realize it has been quite some time since I have posted a proper update. Unfortunately, right now I have nothing major to share that looks pretty. But, I have been dusting off the old tools and getting back to work on this. I've also been looking for ways to simplify and reduce some things, and I've sort of had a "Eureka!" moment that's going to allow me to combine two quests, eliminate multiple areas that I have yet to model, and just keep things simpler. I don't want to spoil all the details, but it's taken a burden off my mind at least.

Some of you may be disappointed to hear about the reduction, but I don't want there to be bloated or unused space, which is what I am effectively eliminating here. I am really more interested in the quality of the mod, and an actual release. So in this case, less is more.

On the modeling front, a number of things are getting an overhaul. The cantina is getting a face lift, and the street is going to be restructured. Most don't know this, but I actually had a second street module. I am combining both into a more condensed street area. The two-module version was too expansive and had too much wasted space. It was fun doing the outside areas, but it just ended up being a lot of empty space. I got a bit too ambitious wanting a Taris-plus sized planet.

After the cantina and streets are re-configured, I am looking at only one more area to model from scratch before the area models are complete. This will be an indoor area that houses the gladiator teams as well as various vendors that would go along with such an event. After this area is complete, essentially the whole planet will be built. I still need to do some work on the gladiator arenas themselves, but luckily this will be fairly easy.

Immediate goals are:

• Finalize Cantina
  • Model Gladiator Row
  • Finalize Street Area
  • Connect all areas
  • Work on Gladiator Arenas

Longer term goals for this year:

• Simplify some quests
  • Get quests implemented
  • Alpha testing

Thank you all for your continued support of this project. I know development is often spotty from my end, but I knew this was likely to be the case going into it. But if I keep on plugging, things will get finished.

• Like 14
  • Light Side Points 3

Great to hear things are still moving along! Take all the time you need, SS. I'd rather have a great mod that took a few years to get out than a half baked one that was rushed

• Like 2

Sithspecter,

first of all, welcome "back" with news about your great project! I, like many, was really happy to read your update and frankly, I am also happy you are cutting content. I feel like Knights of the Old Republic (way more than TSL) did an excellent job at keeping areas nicely contained and focused and I am hoping Sleheyron will follow closely this game design and from your word, it does seem it will.

I hope my next question doesn't sound impertinent but is Fair Stride still working on this with you or are you now the sole developer?

Could you also give us an example (without providing specific details, of course) about your plan to simplify quests?

Thanks and godspeed!

Cheers!

• Like 1

Working on the Cantina, I have decided to create a few neon signs, inspired by some of my original attempts as well as Darth Parametric's signs for Tatooine.

This is the first one I have come up with:

fbv8cX5.jpg

Let me know what you think and if you have suggestions or ideas for others.

Also, just for clarification, these will only be on the inside of the building. And for further viewing enjoyment, check out my old original buildings with garish neon signs:

39wWVyd.jpg

Must have been 10 years ago by now.

• Like 4

Probably not. There's not really any animated stuff like that in the default game so I think static images will work just fine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sithspecter said:

Probably not. There's not really any animated stuff like that in the default game so I think static images will work just fine.

Would animated signs work as a separate addon mod? This would obviously have to wait until you finish Sleheyron though that may be for the better. 

8 hours ago, N-DReW25 said:

Would animated signs work as a separate addon mod? This would obviously have to wait until you finish Sleheyron though that may be for the better. 

Sure, why not.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sithspecter said:

Let me know what you think...

It looked amazing! It feels great to see an update with the project too! :cheers:

...if you have suggestions or ideas for others.

If it fits your vision and plan; I hope you could implement the neon sign with outside of the building also.