Sithspecter

This is the Sleheyron Planet, which is a Work-In-Progress mod for KotOR

Actually reminds me of the bar in the DLC "Citadel" for Mass Effect 3, feels very Bioware- great work.

Sorry for the extended hiatus folks. As an apology, I have released a new video for the project, a preview of the previously unseen cantina!

I am ramping up production for the fall after a very busy summer for me, so expect more updates in the coming months.

The way your character is walking around with a blaster makes me wish there was a mod for KOTOR which meant you stayed a Soldier/Normal person for longer than in the Vanilla game. 

As it is, the whole becoming a Jedi so suddenly has always seemed extremely artificial and made the PC seem like they're very, very gullible to me. 

The cantina looks exactly how I would expect a luxurious place from a good science-fiction to look. Especially the worklight is amazing and floor tiles look unusual compared to other places of the game, which gives it an unique climate. Actually, every location on Sleheyron takes my breath away. Only what seems like a bar lounge could be more detailed.

• Like 1

Nice work, I really like what you did with the Sitting NPC placeables. Really makes the Cantina looked more lived in. I really do like the Quarren and Gran NPC's which only had one or two appearances in the whole game which is nice to see. I also like the restoration of the Chadra Fran but I recommend changing the Chadra Fran's NPC tag to "Club Patron" to "Chadra Fran Patron". While it may not be the best option but have you considered using the Lite NPC's for some of the NPC's so it fits in more with Kotor so it makes the mod feel more like something Bioware made and not an actual mod.

The NPC Ailizcece is wearing Davik's Armor I do believe unless it's a new armor utilizing the same texture. Either way, I would recommend using perhaps the Verpine Fiber Mesh instead as it doesn't pull me out of the immersion that more than one Davik's Armor exists in the game or that there's another set of armor with the exact same texture as well.

Other than those slight issues I think the Cantina is great as always. Can't wait to see how those Mandalorians have to say to my character.

Just one last question do your custom module walls work? What I mean by this is in a vanilla module when you run into a wall the character will kinda keep running but slide to either the left or right. In some mods like BOSSR in the custom modules, you can run into the walls and get stuck.

This is awesome work; really cutting-edge stuff!

My only piece of advice would be that (IMO at least) the bottom rotunda looks a little empty. Other than the dancers, musicians and the Mandalorians, there just doesn't seem to be much there. While I'm not exactly aware of the technical limits vis-a-vis the amount of NPCs, perhaps putting a few more could work?

Anyways, it's your call (and it's still great work regardless!).

I have released a new video for the project, a preview of the previously unseen cantina!

Nice work. I liked the nice specular highlight you managed on the stone floor on the bottom level. The collision on the rotunda seems like it could do with being reduced a bit maybe. It might be worth considering some sort of physical barrier like velvet ropes - I've always hated invisible walls around what should be navigable terrain.

I'm curious about those assassin droids. Do they ever engage in combat, or are they just for flavour? I'm wondering whether something more unique might be in order.

Just one last question do your custom module walls work? What I mean by this is in a vanilla module when you run into a wall the character will kinda keep running but slide to either the left or right. In some mods like BOSSR in the custom modules, you can run into the walls and get stuck.

Collision shouldn't be an issue with the new model tools. It should function like the vanilla models.

• Like 1

Yes, my walkmeshes/collision meshes work exactly the way the original ones do in-game. The ones in BoS:SR were made by Quanon before walkmeshes were understood very well. Back then you simply made a flat piece of geometry that looked like a cookie-cutter version of what the floor would be. Now we know that you have to add walls or vertical extrusions from the edges of the walkmesh, which allows for smooth collisions where you don't get stuck on the edge and blocks line of sight and blaster fire. Also unlike the old areas, the Sleheyron areas feature the secondary walkmesh or AABB node that blocks cameras from going through the walls. Functionally it's no different from a default area.

Nice work. I liked the nice specular highlight you managed on the stone floor on the bottom level. The collision on the rotunda seems like it could do with being reduced a bit maybe. It might be worth considering some sort of physical barrier like velvet ropes - I've always hated invisible walls around what should be navigable terrain.

I'm curious about those assassin droids. Do they ever engage in combat, or are they just for flavour? I'm wondering whether something more unique might be in order.

I hadn't noticed the collision on the center rotunda, and I will adjust it. This one was made a while back when I was still getting a feel for the walkmesh spacing and I must have missed the mark here.

Probably we are going to avoid fancy new models for most characters/droids for the default release. Folks are welcome to produce "aftermarket" changes to Sleheyron once it is finished, but we're trying to keep it as seamless as we can. By default it should appear different than a regular KotOR planet in the area model only.

• Like 1

Guest Qui-Gon Glenn

Like Lucy, I also got a Citadel (ME3) feel from it, while it was also very KotOR.

Nice work!

Another preview, this time of the new landing bay. I was never very satisfied with the older version, and so have updated it in a similar configuration as Docking Bay 94 of A New Hope fame.

• Like 12

Wow, this looks great! Love how the docking bay looks like it could fit shuttles of different sizes besides the Ebon Hawk! 

You even have the minimap identical to the area. Those are new doors or reskinned doors, or does the game technically see them as both?

Another preview, this time of the new landing bay. I was never very satisfied with the older version, and so have updated it in a similar configuration as Docking Bay 94 of A New Hope fame.

That looks amazing. Is that the emptied module to show off? There definitely will be NPC's in the Hangar, right? A dude you have to pay to gain access to the planet - and possibly a merchant like in the Demo or a mechanic?

That looks amazing. Is that the emptied module to show off? There definitely will be NPC's in the Hangar, right? A dude you have to pay to gain access to the planet - and possibly a merchant like in the Demo or a mechanic?

Yes, there will be NPCs. I just haven't populated the area yet.

A big thanks to ndix ur and bead-v for MDLEdit and KotOR Max, which are making things much easier for me.

• Like 1

How many times has the Hangar been changed? I've seen the Demo Hangar, the Hangar at the beginning of the thread which kinda resembles the Manaan hangar and this new one. Is there more than one Hangar for the Ebon Hawk or has the Hangar been going through this evolution as the tools get better?

How many times has the Hangar been changed? I've seen the Demo Hangar, the Hangar at the beginning of the thread which kinda resembles the Manaan hangar and this new one. Is there more than one Hangar for the Ebon Hawk or has the Hangar been going through this evolution as the tools get better?

I think this is the 4th incarnation since ~2008.

Very first attempt, when the area tools were in their infancy, no lightmaps:

2e5F49m.jpg

4kitBTU.jpg

HbYQmj2.jpg

Later attempt, when I broke things up into lots of different parts to apply shading through the AuroraTrimesh modifier:

ZO3l5C1.jpg

l9Cp2O5.jpg

1WiTsjg.jpg

Newer attempt using current lightmap techniques, but admittedly poor design and scale:

hndrUOu.jpg

kgjX8C4.jpg

FvrEm8P.jpg

Current landing bay with new tools and better design/scale:

TvcqQvZ.jpg

GJovTh2.jpg

mdfzHsy.jpg

Over the years I have fortunately learned a few things since my first horrible areas, both from a technical and an artistic/design standpoint.

The most recent iteration stemmed from my dissatisfaction with the previous landing bay design and layout. Additionally, starting with Suuda's Estate, I had incorporated a new standard for doors and doorways, and thus it needed to be updated anyways. Several of the key locations (including the primary street area) are undergoing a few renovations to incorporate the new changes that have standardized doors and made things a lot more clean and consistent from a design standpoint.

• Like 12

All I got to say about that first one is that thank god people still love this game to the point they're willing to develop the tools necessary to pull us out of what I'd call "the modding stone age".

For the new street module with the new floor texture will it still look like the Bioware screenshots?

• Like 1

All I got to say about that first one is that thank god people still love this game to the point they're willing to develop the tools necessary to pull us out of what I'd call "the modding stone age".

For the new street module with the new floor texture will it still look like the Bioware screenshots?

That landing bay really looks bad because of my skill at the time, not necessarily because of the tools. The second one was made using the same tools as the first, I just had a greater skill level then.

If you are referring to the fact that the new landing bay incorporates some of the textures that are usually associated with the walls, you need not worry. I did this because it seemed like a more hardened or heat-resistant material to use for the landing pad. The streets with still retain their original textures, on the ground and otherwise.

• Like 1

I remember years ago running through either the first or second one in the beta release. I actually liked your original design because there was no proper hangar - the ship was just there on the street and anybody could see it as they walked by. It was like the planet is so polluted and overdeveloped they don't really have the space for that or even care to anymore. Like Nar Shaddaa. Some of that wonkiness might've been due to your skill level at the time, but I actually liked that. I really like the new one too, though. It's by far the most polished and looks exactly how you'd expect one of the game's hangars to look.

• Like 3

Might I bring this to your attention- http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/6017-kotor1-placeable-limit/?hl=placeable

According to that, there are only 20 available modded placeable options meaning anything over 20 will revert to 0. How many placeables's does Sleheyron have?

I am aware of this, and so far only have 2 placeables in Sleheyron, which are actually used as such, unlike some other mods which use placeables as part of the area model. However, mod compatibility, especially with BoS, is not my chief concern.

• Like 3

I am aware of this, and so far only have 2 placeables in Sleheyron, which are actually used as such, unlike some other mods which use placeables as part of the area model. However, mod compatibility, especially with BoS, is not my chief concern.

To be fair, the only way to get animated models was via placeables back then. Perhaps some of these mods would benefit from a revisit.

• Like 1

To be fair, the only way to get animated models was via placeables back then. Perhaps some of these mods would benefit from a revisit.

I concur. Brotherhood of Shadow must be revisited.

ADMIN: Further discussion of Brotherhood of Shadow should conducted in that mod's release thread, not here. Contact FairStrides is you have further questions about BOS, Domino5555