dark666prophet

No XP from Mines?

I've only played KotOR II once before (at launch), and when I heard that the restoration mod -and- M4-78 mod were both ready and in stable states, I decided to play again. Everyone on message boards talks about getting XP from retrieving mines. However, I've collected every single mine on Peragus prior to meeting the HK-50 with the voice recording, and I haven't gotten one point of XP from it. Did the mod change that? If not, what in the world is going on? I have one point in Demolitions skill, +2 from modifiers normally, and I turn on Force Valor to boost it another 2 points, which lets me succeed.

In my experience, you usually get the XP, it just doesn't give you a message that you did. Mouse over your character icon while you disarm the mine, and check to see the if the XP changes when you're done. If you've already done that, I'm not sure what's going on.

• Like 1

I believe mines only give your either 25 or 50 XP. I only have good memory of the game while playing difficult mode, so I don't know if the difficulty level may have something to do with the XP being gained or not, though I'm doubting it.

Because your total demolition skill at this point is 5 points, I'm guessing you're using normal difficulty? Difficult mode requires a lot more points (Which is annoying as hell, I think, because Peragus has so many mines, but I don't want to have to waste so many skill points so early in game on just my demolitions skill).

I believe mines only give your either 25 or 50 XP. I only have good memory of the game while playing difficult mode, so I don't know if the difficulty level may have something to do with the XP being gained or not, though I'm doubting it.

Because your total demolition skill at this point is 5 points, I'm guessing you're using normal difficulty? Difficult mode requires a lot more points (Which is annoying as hell, I think, because Peragus has so many mines, but I don't want to have to waste so many skill points so early in game on just my demolitions skill).

The more skill points you have in demolition, the more XP you'll get, though.

Thanks for the replies thus far, everyone. Sithspecter has hit the nail on the head as to why it looked like I wasn't giving XP. There's no XP "accounced" on-screen like when you get a kill or resolve a quest. Instead, nothing pops up, when when I checked my XP, it had increased by 60XP with my modified skill of 5 after Valor/other bonuses. Oh, and from what I've been reading, Mr. Phil is correct that your skill modifies how much XP you get. I haven't tested it myself, though.

Alright, so I'm early enough in the game that I could restart if I needed to. Considering enemies in the game scale with me, and I seem to recall being super powerful at the end, it sounds like unless I'm just trying to score a couple extra levels and actually use mines, Demolitions can just be ignored completely with basically no loss of quest content or equippable goodies. Is that about right?

Kind of moving into another topic, but anyone know that magic skill values needed to complete quests requiring certain skills? I remember needing Treat Injury on Nar Shadaa and being moody ever since this game launched because I didn't have the necessary skill rank to pass the check.

I hear 20 Persuasion and 20 Repair are all you should go for with those skills, though I hear 32 repair will make items of higher quality. Are these good items I should take my repair that high for?

Computers only sounds like I would need it for fixing T3M4...anyone know how high it needs to be? Are there other quests I can't finish without Computers skill? I need to be doing fine on the computers on Pegagus with no points invested, and I'm using lots of computers...

Lastly, Awareness...anyone know how high it should go?  I'm going with a Consular because I love the force powers. Trying to figure out if 3 skills (12 INT) or 4 skills (14 INT) should be my focus.

I guess a lot of these will depend on what sections the Exile is alone during...

On Nar Shaddaa, there is a quest (I'm not going to spoil it for you) which you need an awareness of 18 (if I remember correctly) to complete. You may also want to increase your repair a tad in order to repair a certain droid to recover some thing he has.  ;) 

For other quests, you don't need the right amount of skill points. In certain areas, having high skill in an area will just add additional options.

Pretty much everyone here is incorrect... mines give LEVEL x 10 XP (for regular mines, so the ones you will find on Peragus, harder mines give LEVEL x 25 XP). So if you got 60, you were level 6.
Demolition skill doesn't change that, but as you notice leveling does. Unlike enemies (who are level locked once you enter) mines use the current level you are.

As you may notice this can get you some ridiculous XP's on later levels, and indeed certain very mine-heavy areas will grant you a level by themselves, if not more...
Mephiles is right that difficulty affects skill requirements (for lock picking, disarming etc., not conversation checks).

• Like 3

Pretty much everyone here is incorrect... mines give LEVEL x 10 XP (for regular mines, so the ones you will find on Peragus, harder mines give LEVEL x 25 XP). So if you got 60, you were level 6.

Demolition skill doesn't change that, but as you notice leveling does. Unlike enemies (who are level locked once you enter) mines use the current level you are.

As you may notice this can get you some ridiculous XP's on later levels, and indeed certain very mine-heavy areas will grant you a level by themselves, if not more...

Mephiles is right that difficulty affects skill requirements (for lock picking, disarming etc., not conversation checks).

Right, I didn't catch that. So what would you say is the highest demolition level you need to disarm the hardest mine you can encounter?

Again, depends on the difficulty level (it's higher on Difficult).

I think around 20 works though... you can get a bit higher than that for crafting.

• Like 2

Again, depends on the difficulty level (it's higher on Difficult).

I think around 20 works though... you can get a bit higher than that for crafting.

I was testing, and it was something like, 25 or 35.. This was of course after all of the bonuses awarded from equipment and feats..

The new mine types added by Kotor2 are actually slightly underwhelming and in fact all of the mines are slightly nerfed compared to the Kotor1 mines..

• Like 1

One question though.. if say i disabled the mine with *say* a party member, would you then still gain the xp for the exile.. and infact gain the xp overall for all?

On 1/24/2016 at 2:23 PM, MetaBee said:

One question though.. if say i disabled the mine with *say* a party member, would you then still gain the xp for the exile.. and infact gain the xp overall for all?

I just tested this and the answer is yes. I know it’s been years so you probably already figured it out but just in case someone new comes here with this same question I thought I would just answer it.