Dark_Ansem

Music Overhaul?

80 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Sith Holocron said:

If you're not in a hurry. I will research which KOTOR2 tracks are available in a higher bit rate in SWTOR than they are in the standard KOTOR2 game. This would have to wait until after I get my computer back - see Blog #100 for more information.  Of course, if someone else wishes to help out before I am available, that would be even better.

Would that be something you'd be interested in. @Dark_Ansem?

I'm not sure how I'd do that, but I can help.

Although, TBH, to get KOTOR2 tracks in higher bit rate I tend to decompress them with Miles and then, eventually, recompress. Is that something that works?

14 hours ago, Dark_Ansem said:

...to get KOTOR2 tracks in higher bit rate I tend to decompress them with Miles and then, eventually, recompress. Is that something that works?

I'm not so sure about that. By my understanding -such in general practice- once an [audio] file has been compressed -the BioWare/Obsidian way- the information/quality that were lost are not going to be brought back with anything. The only logic on having better quality -or in this case; higher bit-rate- is to use lossless source in the first place. Which I think grabbing ones from more technologically-advanced version will do, and that is TOR version. Whether they sounds better or not - that is your ears to decide.

2 hours ago, ebmar said:

I'm not so sure about that. By my understanding -such in general practice- once an [audio] file has been compressed -the BioWare/Obsidian way- the information/quality that were lost are not going to be brought back with anything. The only logic on having better quality -or in this case; higher bit-rate- is to use lossless source in the first place. Which I think grabbing ones from more technologically-advanced version will do, and that is TOR version. Whether they sounds better or not - that is your ears to decide.

Unless TOR has actually MP3s.

1 minute ago, DarthParametric said:

Like most modern AAA games, TOR uses Wwise to store its audio, both VO and music.

Urgh, which means no chance of loop points unless they're embedded in the original file.