Dark_Ansem

Music Overhaul?

33 minutes ago, Sith Holocron said:

If you're not in a hurry. I will research which KOTOR2 tracks are available in a higher bit rate in SWTOR than they are in the standard KOTOR2 game. This would have to wait until after I get my computer back - see Blog #100 for more information.  Of course, if someone else wishes to help out before I am available, that would be even better.

Would that be something you'd be interested in. @Dark_Ansem?

I'm not sure how I'd do that, but I can help.

Although, TBH, to get KOTOR2 tracks in higher bit rate I tend to decompress them with Miles and then, eventually, recompress. Is that something that works?

14 hours ago, Dark_Ansem said:

...to get KOTOR2 tracks in higher bit rate I tend to decompress them with Miles and then, eventually, recompress. Is that something that works?

I'm not so sure about that. By my understanding -such in general practice- once an [audio] file has been compressed -the BioWare/Obsidian way- the information/quality that were lost are not going to be brought back with anything. The only logic on having better quality -or in this case; higher bit-rate- is to use lossless source in the first place. Which I think grabbing ones from more technologically-advanced version will do, and that is TOR version. Whether they sounds better or not - that is your ears to decide.

2 hours ago, ebmar said:

I'm not so sure about that. By my understanding -such in general practice- once an [audio] file has been compressed -the BioWare/Obsidian way- the information/quality that were lost are not going to be brought back with anything. The only logic on having better quality -or in this case; higher bit-rate- is to use lossless source in the first place. Which I think grabbing ones from more technologically-advanced version will do, and that is TOR version. Whether they sounds better or not - that is your ears to decide.

Unless TOR has actually MP3s.

1 minute ago, DarthParametric said:

Like most modern AAA games, TOR uses Wwise to store its audio, both VO and music.

Urgh, which means no chance of loop points unless they're embedded in the original file.

On 12/26/2019 at 9:55 AM, Dark_Ansem said:

So, I've been on hold with music research about this, gotta restart soon. How much interest in this?

Not much I see, but unimportant. So, because of a mismanaged hardware upgrade, I have to restart: could someone please provide me with a savegame collection of an UNMODDED game at its various points/planets?

Shout out Sith Codec for an amazing tool. Also, I think the delay between loops is likely un-removable, that's an Aurora engine issue, I believe.

for 

On 11/25/2020 at 2:47 AM, Dark_Ansem said:

...to remove the second of delay between loops when a track ends? ...I think the delay between loops is likely un-removable...

It controlled by MusicDelay node on each module/MOD's GIT. From a source I found/discussions in the past [that I remember] it is defined in milliseconds, which often the game uses somewhere between 10000-30000, IIRC. To have the track loop instantly simply set the value to 0.

12 minutes ago, ebmar said:

It controlled by MusicDelay node on each module/MOD's GIT. From a source I found/discussions in the past [that I remember] it is defined in milliseconds, which often the game uses somewhere between 10000-30000, IIRC. To have the track loop instantly simply set the value to 0.

I did that and I'm fairly certain it doesn't work. Can always try again.

EDIT: nope. This is especially noticeable during combat.

Hmm, quite surprising actually -- as the game use that setup on every cantina and it works on custom content as well, like this one did.

Yeah, probably best to try again, and see how it goes this time. And make sure you got the GIT installation right by putting one into the MOD instead of dumping it to the Override. Also just a reminder to check for the track itself as it probably contain that long silence at the end of its play.

1 minute ago, ebmar said:

Hmm, quite surprising actually -- as the game use that setup on every cantina and it works on custom content as well, like this one did.

Yeah, probably best to try again, and see how it goes this time. And make sure you got the GIT installation right by putting one into the MOD instead of dumping it to the Override. Also just a reminder to check for the track itself as it probably contain that long silence at the end of its play.

It's a custom track with no silence, and somehow that setting doesn't work for combat loops at all. The lag is not as noticeable for standard BGM.

41 minutes ago, Dark_Ansem said:

...that setting doesn't work for combat loops at all.

Hmm, I can't tell if MusicBattle use that node to define the delay as well, but far as I'm concerned they will always instantly loop as long as the battle round goes. I did have custom setup [which use ported TSL stuffs, mostly] that works fine.

Oh, worth trying to remove every metadata with the track--like track/artist/album name and those extra bits, if there's any--preferably using Audacity. I always do that to follow the original setup, at least -- as there are known issue as well which the [area] music tend to cut at the middle and repeat often with metadata still intact.

8 hours ago, Dark_Ansem said:

Shout out Sith Codec for an amazing tool.

I was literally about to say the same thing, as I'm working on a music overhaul mod myself

6 hours ago, ebmar said:

Hmm, I can't tell if MusicBattle use that node to define the delay as well, but far as I'm concerned they will always instantly loop as long as the battle round goes. I did have custom setup [which use ported TSL stuffs, mostly] that works fine.

Oh, worth trying to remove every metadata with the track--like track/artist/album name and those extra bits, if there's any--preferably using Audacity. I always do that to follow the original setup, at least -- as there are known issue as well which the [area] music tend to cut at the middle and repeat often with metadata still intact.

May I ask you to post a small video about it?

I just checked and listen closely to the battle music and indeed, there is a delay from between the loop which comes from the track naturally, as we all know about it in general. If you're talking about seamless-loop tracks, I honestly have no idea on that application with KotOR engine as I thought you're talking about common music/songs that has intro/outro.

1 hour ago, Dark_Ansem said:

May I ask you to post a small video about it?

Sorry I can't post a video about it 'cause I don't have time for that. If you're willing though, perhaps you can post or give the link to the custom music so we can inspect and look if it's feasible for the game.

2 minutes ago, ebmar said:

I just checked and listen closely to the battle music and indeed, there is a delay from between the loop which comes from the track naturally, as we all know about it in general. If you're talking about seamless-loop tracks, I honestly have no idea on that application with KotOR engine as I thought you're talking about common music/songs that has intro/outro.

As I said, I think it's an issue with Aurora, as NEverwinter nights had a similar issue.

As much as I love the music of KotOR II and think it really helps the atmosphere of the game, I must agree that the majority of the battle music is pretty bland.

I don't quite agree with using the SWTOR music in the game, though. Completely different, tonally. Won't fit well with the game. What you need is something new that's based on the old, something original that fits with the game.

If at all possible, I recommend contacting and commissioning some stuff from Samuel Kim. I'm sure he'd love to work on a project like this.

Examples of some of his previous works with the KotOR/SWTOR era music for those who have not heard his work before: 

As well as an original piece: