Dark_Ansem

Music Overhaul?

Notes to self:

1. foobar MP3 Joint Stereo works as-is, no need to rename to WAV
  2. need to check whether ambientmusic.2da hypothesis is correct
  3. KOTOR Tool can help in terms of variety BUT cannot load Steam Workshop modules
  4. Need to be able to determine to which area each module corresponds. KOTOR doesn't allow to read an in-game name?
Edited by Dark_Ansem

More notes for me.

ambientmusic.2da experiment a quasi-complete success.

Not only it is possible to add entirely new tracks to the game, but it is also possible to force them by placing new ambientmusic.2da in override folder and entirely new files in streammusic (this ALSO works with the Steam Workshop substructure).

Issue, however, is that GFF files have to be edited, and they are to be considered one-shot: KOTOR Tool allows to edit them, but then unless a different copy of the .git files is saved in a different location and then manually moved to override, 

No easy way to test and edit except playthrough + potential incompatibilities with TSLRCM UNLESS TSL patcher also allows editing of .git files.

Minor, potentially unrelated issue: custom music files appear to be at a lower volume?

EDIT: extra note to self. Once Droid Planet is released in a way that it is compatible with Steam Workshop, this can potentially work with new planet.

Also, be mindful that, to work, changes will have to be applied to the altered TSLRCM.

Currently no way seen to be compatible with Combat Arena (latest) short of extra modification. Could consider approaching author?

Edited by Dark_Ansem

More notes for me.

ambientmusic.2da experiment a quasi-complete success.

Not only it is possible to add entirely new tracks to the game, but it is also possible to force them by placing new ambientmusic.2da in override folder and entirely new files in streammusic (this ALSO works with the Steam Workshop substructure).

Issue, however, is that GFF files have to be edited, and they are to be considered one-shot: KOTOR Tool allows to edit them, but then unless a different copy of the .git files is saved in a different location and then manually moved to override,

No easy way to test and edit except playthrough + potential incompatibilities with TSLRCM UNLESS TSL patcher also allows editing of .git files.

Minor, potentially unrelated issue: custom music files appear to be at a lower volume?

EDIT: extra note to self. Once Droid Planet is released in a way that it is compatible with Steam Workshop, this can potentially work with new planet.

Also, be mindful that, to work, changes will have to be applied to the altered TSLRCM.

Currently no way seen to be compatible with Combat Arena (latest) short of extra modification. Could consider approaching author?

This is an awesome discovery! If we could add Planet-specific BGM,that would help differentiate the levels greatly.

To my recollection, TSLPatcher is very capable of editing GIT files. However making them compatible with TSLRCM may be another matter entirely.

This is an awesome discovery! If we could add Planet-specific BGM,that would help differentiate the levels greatly.

To my recollection, TSLPatcher is very capable of editing GIT files. However making them compatible with TSLRCM may be another matter entirely.

My original idea was to actually give specific music to specific battles, but I have relinquished that, for now.

Specific music for specific areas, however - and in fact compared to TSL's abysmal OST (except for a couple tracks), should definitely be possible.

AFAIK, TSLRCM does not edit MANY .git files. It does edit a couple of .rim files, however.

To be fair, however, TSLRCM does already add new lines to ambientmusic. the files already existed in the game, however.

Addendum: need a way to easily identify which location each module refers to.

• Like 1

Ah and to answer your question of which BGM I hate the most, it would have to be the Telos or Peragus battle music for how they're both overused and repetitive. Honorable-ish mention goes to the music played during Kreia visions since it always feels out of place and only plays for a few seconds yet is seemingly everywhere.

Shouldn't be hard at all if you only edit the music settings of a .git file. Just point TSLPatcher to edit the .git in TSLRCMs .mod files and you're done.

AFAIK, TSLRCM does not edit MANY .git files. It does edit a couple of .rim files, however.

That might be a problem actually. As a first note: .git files cannot be placed in the Override for the final release of a mod as .git files in the Override will override the .git files in savegames, thus reseting the module each time the player reloads or reenters it. So they need to be placed inside the .rim or .mod files. IMO you should use .mod files and leave the vanilla .rim files alone but if TSLRCM edits .rim files you'll need to either also edit the .git in the .rim file or make your .mod from the TSLRCM files which might result in issues when using your mod without TSLRCM.

Ah and to answer your question of which BGM I hate the most, it would have to be the Telos or Peragus battle music for how they're both overused and repetitive. Honorable-ish mention goes to the music played during Kreia visions since it always feels out of place and only plays for a few seconds yet is seemingly everywhere.

It's already on my blacklist!

Shouldn't be hard at all if you only edit the music settings of a .git file. Just point TSLPatcher to edit the .git in TSLRCMs .mod files and you're done.

That might be a problem actually. As a first note: .git files cannot be placed in the Override for the final release of a mod as .git files in the Override will override the .git files in savegames, thus reseting the module each time the player reloads or reenters it. So they need to be placed inside the .rim or .mod files. IMO you should use .mod files and leave the vanilla .rim files alone but if TSLRCM edits .rim files you'll need to either also edit the .git in the .rim file or make your .mod from the TSLRCM files which might result in issues when using your mod without TSLRCM.

I'm not sure I understand: how would editing the .mod file work and how would it help me?

Notes to self:

- the "stingers" heard when shifting towards light or dark side are NOT the same files found in Streammusic: they are SFX found in the .biff file. Thus, to work, rather than replacing StreamMusic files, one would have to place the files in the override folder.

- however, all *sbat files are present in the SFX biff, together with a number of mus* files. which ones are actually loaded from Streammusic and which ones are taken from the BIF?

EDIT: the *sbat stingers are read from Streammusic, thank god. Also, they can be read from the SW TSLRCM override folder, but ONLY if the original files are deleted.

Unsure about the others.

Git files can be safely altered, even from custom mods, and made to display updated music. However, not advisable to do so mid-game because the stage is reset if a git file is changed.

Git files can be safely altered, even from custom mods, and made to display updated music. However, not advisable to do so mid-game because the stage is reset if a git file is changed.

This is exactly what I was trying to tell you. The only reason why your .git edits reset the module is because you put them into the Override. That's fine as long as you're testing but DO NOT keep them there for the mod release. Instead put them into the corresponding .mod file.

This is exactly what I was trying to tell you. The only reason why your .git edits reset the module is because you put them into the Override. That's fine as long as you're testing but DO NOT keep them there for the mod release. Instead put them into the corresponding .mod file.

But the thing is, otherwise they won't work. I tried altering the .git then repacking the RIM file of Stoffe's Combat arena, but that didn't work. Only the override stuff worked.

On the other hand, TSLRCM modules do have their Git file packed.inside, but TSL patcher doesn't allow to inject it. 

But the thing is, otherwise they won't work. I tried altering the .git then repacking the RIM file of Stoffe's Combat arena, but that didn't work. Only the override stuff worked.

On the other hand, TSLRCM modules do have their Git file packed.inside, but TSL patcher doesn't allow to inject it. 

That's why I linked my tutorial on file priorities. The game will use the .git from the Override. If that doesn't exist, it'll use the one from the savegame. If that doesn't exist either, it will go to the .mod and finally to the .rim. That means that putting the .git into a .mod (or .rim) is necessary so that it doesn't screw up your savegame but it also means that the changes made to the .git in the .mod/.rim will only be seen ingame if you have never visited that module before (i.e. the .git doesn't exist in the savegame). Which is why putting the .gits into the Override is perfectly fine and useful for testing but NEVER for a finished mod.

And TSLPatcher does allow you to edit .git files in the .rim/.mod files. Just put Modules\<module_name>.rim as the file destination. (Or maybe with / instead of \). It's all explained in the very handy TSLPatcher documentation pdf.

• Like 1

That's why I linked my tutorial on file priorities. The game will use the .git from the Override. If that doesn't exist, it'll use the one from the savegame. If that doesn't exist either, it will go to the .mod and finally to the .rim. That means that putting the .git into a .mod (or .rim) is necessary so that it doesn't screw up your savegame but it also means that the changes made to the .git in the .mod/.rim will only be seen ingame if you have never visited that module before (i.e. the .git doesn't exist in the savegame). Which is why putting the .gits into the Override is perfectly fine and useful for testing but NEVER for a finished mod.

And TSLPatcher does allow you to edit .git files in the .rim/.mod files. Just put Modules\<module_name>.rim as the file destination. (Or maybe with / instead of \). It's all explained in the very handy TSLPatcher documentation pdf.

Oh, so that's the issue: if I visit the area, even just once, in a savegame, it will stay saved with its previous git data?

I never knew that! But now I do.

I'll have to fiddle with TSLPatcher some more, thanks.

More notes for self:

- replacement of audio files from the Biff SFX only works inside the KOTOR2 override folder, not the one in SW TSLRCM

Oh, so that's the issue: if I visit the area, even just once, in a savegame, it will stay saved with its previous git data?

I never knew that! But now I do.

I'll have to fiddle with TSLPatcher some more, thanks.

The PDF that comes packaged with the TSLPatcher is great at explaining how to do it. Frankly so exhaustive that I understand like, 60% of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark_Ansem said:

All right, so I think I'm ready to start working on this again.

Since its allowed now, what about porting  SWTOR tracks to further enhance the game?

9 hours ago, Jorak Uln said:

Since its allowed now, what about porting  SWTOR tracks to further enhance the game?

I don't have them, do you?

On 5/31/2019 at 10:06 AM, Dark_Ansem said:

I don't have them, do you?

That should be easy - right? 

Dont think about ripping them from SWTOR  but just download them from Youtube - e.g. this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eu2sF_kQ00&list=RD9eu2sF_kQ00&start_radio=1&t=40

and then record the desired tracks with an recording software like Bandicam. 

50 minutes ago, Jorak Uln said:

That should be easy - right? 

Dont think about ripping them from SWTOR  but just download them from Youtube - e.g. this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eu2sF_kQ00&list=RD9eu2sF_kQ00&start_radio=1&t=40

and then record the desired tracks with an recording software like Bandicam. 

What about music from KOTOR1 or different SW games?

If you're not in a hurry. I will research which KOTOR2 tracks are available in a higher bit rate in SWTOR than they are in the standard KOTOR2 game. This would have to wait until after I get my computer back - see Blog #100 for more information.  Of course, if someone else wishes to help out before I am available, that would be even better.

Would that be something you'd be interested in. @Dark_Ansem?