Dark_Ansem

Music Overhaul?

Kotor2's music is, with a couple exceptions, inferior to its predecessor.

I wondered, if one wanted to overhaul the ost, would it work only as an override module or more sound instances could be added?

I haven't tried to mod any of the sound files yet -- there is one piece of cantina music which drives me up the wall I'd like to change in particular -- but I know that they are not straight out WAV files but rather something that Obsidian cooked up. Unfortunately. So you need to apparently save them as a "raw" WAV file in order for them to even play in game.

You would put the respective sound files within the correct folder:

• StreamMusic
  • StreamSounds
  • StreamVoice

In the case of music it would be the top folder listed -- these folders are separate to the override folder.

As far as adding new sounds, you can edit the respective module's GIT file settings for ambient music that is played; I believe it has listings for different music options like battle music. You'll find the settings at the top  of the file if you use KOTOR Tool to view and edit them and I think they are referenced via an integer value -- like "52" corresponds to a specific entry (row number) found within the ambientmusic.2da file that you can view and edit also with KOTOR Tool. It is possible to add new rows to the 2DA file and then edit the GIT entries to make use of the new sounds, however, you will likely need to save/package the whole module file and place it within the Modules folder. Otherwise the area may not load with the game freezing up.

Another option is to script the new sounds in, however, you will still need to remove the original sounds as well. And that's as much light as I'm gonna shed on it as I don't have a lot of practical experience modding the sound files for the game yet ;).

• Like 1

there is one piece of cantina music which drives me up the wall I'd like to change in particular -- but I know that they are not straight out WAV files but rather something that Obsidian cooked up. Unfortunately. So you need to apparently save them as a "raw" WAV file in order for them to even play in game.

What's the song? I think I know which one it might be...

What's the song? I think I know which one it might be...

Yeah, I don't think it is a WAV at all but rather some midi music that was taken from an old Star Wars game;the developers must of had some nostalgia for it, I don't ;).

If you know where it is -- if it isn't in code -- and how I can obliterate it from the game... You're my new best friend.

EDIT: oh, forgot to add it is the Telos Station Cantina -- there is only the one.

I have tried numerous different experiments with the game by replacing some pieces of the soundtrack with music tracks from other games to see how well they would fit in. For example, on the Harbinger, I replaced the default track that would play normally with the Ikana Valley theme from Majora's Mask.. It fits especially well with the Harbinger textures from the Darker Peragus mod.

The Streammusic folder divides its files into both ambience and the actual music. If a file starts with "bed_", than it's an ambience file. Everything else in there is the music.

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/TSL_Music_Improvement;95132

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/TSL_Ambience_Improvement_Mod;95238

Try these mods if you'd like a basis for replacing the game's music files. It contains playable version's of the games StreamMusic files, and even if you don't want to use this mod's music files, it will at least let you know the names of the sound files you would like to replace with something else. 

I'd actually like to ask anyone who has experience modding the game's sound files a question, now. There is one sound file that, no matter where I look, I cannot find it. I'm trying to find the music file that plays in the Nar Shaddaa cantina (not the Pazaak den), but I can't find it as a bed_ file or as a mus_ file in the StreamMusic folder. Does anyone know where I can find this file?

unless it's a sound effect...

That could be possible, but it's strange that it would be a sound effect instead of a music or ambience file.

Yeah, I don't think it is a WAV at all but rather some midi music that was taken from an old Star Wars game;the developers must of had some nostalgia for it, I don't ;).

If you know where it is -- if it isn't in code -- and how I can obliterate it from the game... You're my new best friend.

EDIT: oh, forgot to add it is the Telos Station Cantina -- there is only the one.

Hey SIC, go in your StreamSounds folder, remove al_cantina_band.

Then add the one I'll PM you and enjoy!

Edited by MrPhil

Hey SIC, go in your StreamSounds folder, remove al_cantina_band.

Then add he one I'll PM you and enjoy!

Yes, that's the one that drives me up the wall. Not sure how I missed it as I'm sure I would have checked all the sound directories to find it.

At last, al_cantina_band, you're reign or below mediocre music that is an offense to the ears, can come to an end, and, not soon enough ;).

Yes, that's the one that drives me up the wall. Not sure how I missed it as I'm sure I would have checked all the sound directories to find it.

At last, al_cantina_band, you're reign or below mediocre music that is an offense to the ears, can come to an end, and, not soon enough ;).

What will you replace-it with then?

What will you replace-it with then?

Anything suitable I can find that I have permission to use, or, a range of samples I'll mix together in Audacity to fit the look of the cantina. Might take some work on my part as my experience so far has mostly been in way of editing sound effect files for another game; but, with a little work...

I was thinking about which battles deserve customized music... let me know what you think and how much you feel it's doable.

HK.-50 (Peragus)

Darth Nihilus

Darth Sion (Korriban) & Darth Sion (Malachor)

Master Zez

Master Kavar

Master Arsehole (can't remember his name now)

Revan's Ghost (Korriban)

Darth Traya (duh)

Atris (as Handmaiden)

The Echani Sisters (as Handmaiden)

Atris (as the Exile)

Mira (as Hanharr) (Nar Shaada)

Hanharr (as Mira) (Nar Shaada) & Hanharr (Korriban)

Malak's Ghost (Korriban) (?)

Queen Talia (onderon)

General Vaklu and his men (Onderon)

I cannot think of any more. Opinions? Do you feel it would be doable?

Jek Jek Tarr run (an awesome choice would be the cantina music, the more lively variation :) )

The 3 Jedi Masters Together on Dantooine (not sure this can happen, but it would be amazing)

I was thinking about which battles deserve customized music... let me know what you think and how much you feel it's doable.

HK.-50 (Peragus)

Darth Nihilus

Master Zez

Master Kavar

Master Arsehole (can't remember his name now)

Revan's Ghost (Korriban)

Darth Traya (duh)

Atris (as Handmaiden)

Atris (as the Exile)

Queen Talia (onderon)

I cannot think of any more. Opinions? Do you feel it would be doable?

Jek Jek Tarr run (an awesome choice would be the cantina music, the more lively variation :D )

The 3 Jedi Masters Together on Dantooine (not sure this can happen, but it would be amazing)

The problem is that the majority of these battles don't have their own exclusive theme, rather they just share the same battle theme as the rest of the level. So if you had planned to play some sort of epic theme fitting for only that particular fight, then you'll hear it fighting everyone else in the level.

If there is a work around to this, I would love to hear it.

Master Arsehole...lol. I'm going to assume you're referring to Vrook. XD

Yep, him. the idiot irritating one.

He's also probably the most difficult to fight out of all of the masters, just because of how high his dexterity is (how he can dodge attacks easily) and how he'll always spam force heal when he is at half health.

When I was knew to the game, I had a trick for him. I used an adhesive grenade, which prevents everyone in the trap from using force powers like heal, and repeatedly shot force Lightning on him 'til he died.

Even if I was trying to meet the Jedi at the rebuilt enclave instead of killing them all, I would sometimes kill Vrook just because he pissed me off. XD

The problem is that the majority of these battles don't have their own exclusive theme, rather they just share the same battle theme as the rest of the level. So if you had planned to play some sort of epic theme fitting for only that particular fight, then you'll hear it fighting everyone else in the level.

If there is a work around to this, I would love to hear it.

Just check how we did the Vash/M4-78 cutscene on M4-78. A few other instances of it too... It's not that difficult if you make sure to turn it back once the fight's over.

Actually tried that with Nihilus, though the inbetween cutscene was a pain, so it didn't quite sound right. Probably will get similar issues with the masters :/

updated listing. Still waiting for suggestions.

HK.-50 (Peragus)

Darth Nihilus (Ravager Bridge)

Master Zez (Nar Shaada)

Master Kavar (onderon)

Master Arsehole Vrook (can't remember his name now)

Revan's Ghost (Korriban)

Darth Traya (duh)

Atris (as Handmaiden)

Atris (as the Exile) (2 battles, one in the antechamber and one in the Sith Holocron Room)

Queen Talia (onderon)

Is it possible to fight all 3 Jedi masters at once at the Enclave? if not, can someone make a mod for it?

Just check how we did the Vash/M4-78 cutscene on M4-78. A few other instances of it too... It's not that difficult if you make sure to turn it back once the fight's over.

Actually tried that with Nihilus, though the inbetween cutscene was a pain, so it didn't quite sound right. Probably will get similar issues with the masters :/

how can I try to do it properly so that it's compatible with TSLRCM and the droid planet?

I think that depends upon how Hassat Hunter did it in script..?

Likely he has overridden specific scripts to achieve his affect, you can do the same with others so that there is no conflict via injecting -- you're modified script runs and when it does, it then calls the original script that you've renamed to something else.