Hegirae

Kotor Tool + KotOR 2 on Steam

Hi all,

My question is two-fold: 1) has anyone been able to get Kotor Tool properly working on Windows 7 x64, without any irksome runtime errors, and 2) has anyone been able to figure out how to get the paths pointing towards a Steam installation of TSL? With the latter problem, Kotor Tool can't autodetect the installation path of TSL, so I have to input it manually. However, that doesn't resolve the error, as it still won't let me access any .erfs, and it seems to depend on an entry in the Windows registry that specifies the TSL installation path.

Any answers would be appreciated.

The KotOR Collection DVD version of KotOR II and the Steam version apparently do not write registry entries when installing, thus neither KotOR Tool nor the KotOR Savegame Editor can find the installation without you looking for it manually. The fix for both is simple: a registry file. Use the registry file I provide below, but change the path to where you actually have KotOR II installed and remove the .txt extension.

Steam:

"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Knights of the Old Republic II" (32-bit)

"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Knights of the Old Republic II" (64-bit)

KotOR Collection DVD:

"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\LucasArts\\SWKotOR2" (32-bit)

"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\LucasArts\\SWKotOR2" (64-bit)

Once the file is saved, double-click on it and let it merge into the registry. Then KotOR Tool and the KotOR Savegame Editor should both work correctly.

Source: http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2820902&postcount=2

How do I use the file exactly? I already read it I'm just confused

How do I use the file exactly? I already read it I'm just confused

You'll have to download it, then remove the ".txt" by renaming. Then double-click the file. When it asks you if you want to merge it's contents with the Windows registry, select "Yes". Then it'll say whether it succeeded or failed (usually succeeds), and you will then click "Ok".

You'll have to download it, then remove the ".txt" by renaming. Then double-click the file. When it asks you if you want to merge it's contents with the Windows registry, select "Yes". Then it'll say whether it succeeded or failed (usually succeeds), and you will then click "Ok".

So it says it's successfully been added to the registry, but Kotor Tool still doesn't let me access Kotor II files. Is there a specific location you need to open the file from? I just saved it to documents and did it from there. It's still greyed out.

So it says it's successfully been added to the registry, but Kotor Tool still doesn't let me access Kotor II files. Is there a specific location you need to open the file from? I just saved it to documents and did it from there. It's still greyed out.

You may have to restart the computer.

And it being what it is, did you make sure the path(s) in the file (open it in Notepad) were where your game(s) were located?

Yeah, I changed to the location of my game file ( "Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Knights of the Old Republic II" ). I also restarted my computer and Kotor tool still won't pick up Kotor II. I would upload a screenshot but I don't know what image hosting sites Deadly Stream allows.

I don't know if I'm missing something really obvious, or if it's just not going to work. :/

Yeah, I changed to the location of my game file ( "Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Knights of the Old Republic II" ). I also restarted my computer and Kotor tool still won't pick up Kotor II. I would upload a screenshot but I don't know what image hosting sites Deadly Stream allows.

I don't know if I'm missing something really obvious, or if it's just not going to work. :/

DS doesn't have an issue with Imgur or Photobucket if that helps.

And can you send me a picture of your .reg file and the entry in the Windows Registry? (open the Start Menu, if XP hit "Run..." and type "regedit" and hit enter; if 7, click All Programs, type Run in the search box, hit enter, then type "regedit" and hit enter. Then navigate to the path as laid out in the .reg file)

DS doesn't have an issue with Imgur or Photobucket if that helps.

And can you send me a picture of your .reg file and the entry in the Windows Registry? (open the Start Menu, if XP hit "Run..." and type "regedit" and hit enter; if 7, click All Programs, type Run in the search box, hit enter, then type "regedit" and hit enter. Then navigate to the path as laid out in the .reg file)

Trying to upload the screenshots and it says the image extension I'm using isn't allowed? Sorry that I'm such a noob, I only joined this site today. :P I tried .jpg first and then .png. Which image extensions are allowed on this site?

Trying to upload the screenshots and it says the image extension I'm using isn't allowed? Sorry that I'm such a noob, I only joined this site today. :P I tried .jpg first and then .png. Which image extensions are allowed on this site?

You asked about image sites so I'm assuming it's been uploaded to a site. In that case, when you quote my post, click on the button on the second row, 11th from the left. Then paste the link to your image.

You asked about image sites so I'm assuming it's been uploaded to a site. In that case, when you quote my post, click on the button on the second row, 11th from the left. Then paste the link to your image.

I was using that button but I hadn't actually clicked on the image on imgur. Awkward. Here they are.

VhQdgAj.png

Aunqzff.png

Yes it is. c:

In THAT case... :)

(Now speaking from proper experience)

You'll need to paste a screenshot of the actual .reg file (when opened in Notepad) for me to really help, but there's a section of the registry for 32-bit programs on a 64-bit machine...

In THAT case... :D

(Now speaking from proper experience)

You'll need to paste a screenshot of the actual .reg file (when opened in Notepad) for me to really help, but there's a section of the registry for 32-bit programs on a 64-bit machine...

Ah, okey-dokey! Thanks for being so patient with me. I hope we can figure this thing out. Here's the .reg file opened in Notepad:

t0aTcpp.jpg

Ah, okey-dokey! Thanks for being so patient with me. I hope we can figure this thing out. Here's the .reg file opened in Notepad:

Try pasting what's in the spoiler below into the .reg file (delete what's in there first.):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\LucasArts]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\LucasArts\KotOR2]

"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Knights of the Old Republic II"

• Like 4

Try pasting what's in the spoiler below into the .reg file (delete what's in there first.):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\LucasArts]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\LucasArts\KotOR2]

"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Knights of the Old Republic II"

Success!! Oh, you are a life-saver! Thank you so, so much! I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me fix this! <3 <3 I'd love to draw you a thing! Do you have an Exile or Revan that you could describe to me so I could sketch a little something as a thank-you? <3

gBfNUbl.jpg

• Like 1

Success!! Oh, you are a life-saver! Thank you so, so much! I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me fix this!

I'll PM it to you tomorrow. It's 2:01AM here. :D

Sure! I look forward to it!

Oh wow, I commend your dedication! Do look after yourself first. :)

Does the name of the "KotOR2" string matter? and what would it be for K1 if it does? Usually i just reinstall kotor tool and fiddle with things till it works but no dice on this PC.

kotor2.reg  none of that worked for me but, i figured it out. Here's my kotor 2 registry file, all you have to do is change it to your game path. (Note you must use two forward slashes EXAMPLE: my game path is E:\Games\steamapps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II SO IT MUST BE TYPED E:\\Games\\steamapps\\common\\Knights of the Old Republic II

• Thanks 1

Ancient thread but people still find their way here, so if you don't want to mess around with registry stuff, just go into your game folder and you'll find a folder called "cloudsaves". In there is another folder that contains your saves. Copy the saves into a new folder (in the main game directory) called "saves", and the save editor should be able to find your saves (if not, tell it again where they are to make it re-check). When you're done, copy the edited save back to the "cloudsaves" folder and you're good to go.

Steam cloud might complain that the files don't match (or restore your unedited save) when you load up the game again, so either turn that off temporarily or edit a save with the game running and then load said save so that Steam cloud saves the new one when the game is closed.

Edited by Spobbles
Clarity