Sign in to follow this  
MrPhil

Free to play build/class

So it has taken a long time, but I finally downloaded this bugger. I have not opened this yet, but for when I will, is there a class/build that's easier when playing free to play?

nah its all down to preference. personally, I really like the empire classes more. free to play players all get reduced experience gains and they don't get access to rested experience. I know cuz i'm f2p. its still fun tho. however, if you join a guild, the guild provides an experience gain bonus which is useful to counter that reduced exp thing

Reduced XP matters zero if you do all content (all quest) though. And they throw around +25% XP bonusses like candy (at lvl 41 with my latest alt, having 2 major and 13 minor)...

I do all the content and occasionally repeat heroics I've already done, but it is true that a sub doing that exact same thing will level up more then someone f2p. and actually I forgot about that, the xp bonuses, are they just throwing those in after random quests now? and ya mrphil, its all about preference. do you like healing, tanking, or dps? I love my sith marauder right now but I also like my powertech, both for dps but a bit different I think

Aren't f2p players caped at level 20 though?

No, they haven't been since Nov 2012. They're capped at 50. 

and to the OP, I suggest buying something from the cartel market, or the disc version of the game, because you become a "preferred" player and it makes things slightly easier. 

but yes, F2Ps get 85% XP, Subscribers get 100% so they'll level up faster. If you're in a large guild you'll get 95% so you'll be fine. I'd try to find one as soon as you get ingame though, if you're on Jedi Covenant I can help you out with that.

Caped at 50's fine for me. I'll see if I buy stuff, but I don't plan to. 855 XP's fine. Just a little more challenge. So what is the dynamic like for this game? I plan on being a very casual gamer, not a hardcore type, so not much availability. They take just about anyone?

Playing as F2P is the same as the sub, gameplay-wise. There's lack of sprint at level 1 (which I admit, can be really annoying) and lower XP gains but if you decide to do all the content, it won't matter that much.

Still, I would recommend to spending minimum amount of money, even for something like one month of subscription (depending on where you live, you can get it for as low as $10), just to get "preferred" status - you'll never have to spend money again, but it's worth it just to get sprint early in the game :P

Other thing I'd suggest getting is someone to play with - only reason why I still play this game every now and then is because of people I know that play the game and that I enjoy hanging around with. If I didn't know anyone playing it, I would have un-installed it by now.

Other than that - pick class that sounds enjoyable to you and have fun with it! I recommend Imperial Agent for his class story, and I suggest getting Imperial class first as they're generally more interesting than the Republic ones.

There's a lot of us (including me) are on the European server called "Red Eclipse" but you must pick a North American server, go with "Jedi Covenant." (QDJ and I are on that one.)

My Republic character's on Red Eclipse, with my Imperial character on The Progenitor.

I took Jedi Knight build on the Jedi Covenant. Didn't begin yet though... Can't quite get used to the controls: can't I modify the pan camera A and D buttons to make "walk towards" left and right, as I did in TSL? What about not needing to press right click to "pan the view? Also, how can I enable full subtitles?

Edited by MrPhil

Hey, I'm level 9 now :D. Saw a level 9 jack-off running around with a lightsaber this evening. Know where I can get one?

Hey, I'm level 9 now :D. Saw a level 9 jack-off running around with a lightsaber this evening. Know where I can get one?

Yeah, pref is a good way to enjoy the game to the fullest, using unlocks you can get of the GTN.

Sub benefits get less and less (they intend to remove the PvP limitations with 2.4, and I saw a few restrictions removed in the 2.3.1 patch aswell), so I personally wouldn't recommend it unless you really need a 20m quick travel, which is about the best benefit a sub has over preferred players.

also mrphil, make sure you're at least level 10 before you leave the planet and that you do ALL quests and bonus quests on the planet.  that way you won't suffer from being underleveled on later planets

Yeah, I quit being level 11. Missed just one bonus quest as of yet, because I did not realize it would get closed if I finished the main to which it was attached. I wander quite a bit though. Say, I went to the republic fleet to change class or something, but should I go to the Tython substation before or something?

No, there's nothing to do on Tython space station if you don't own a ship. Straight to the Republic fleet and then off to Coruscant is a good way to do things.

So if I understand correctly (sorry for my incessant coq-à-l'âne, by the way), you basically don't have a choice to get into group to get through this game, uh? I've found just about 3-4 battles yet I could barely or just couldn't win without assistance...

Yeah, pref is a good way to enjoy the game to the fullest, using unlocks you can get of the GTN.

Sub benefits get less and less (they intend to remove the PvP limitations with 2.4, and I saw a few restrictions removed in the 2.3.1 patch aswell), so I personally wouldn't recommend it unless you really need a 20m quick travel, which is about the best benefit a sub has over preferred players.

Unless you do end game, yeah.

So if I understand correctly (sorry for my incessant coq-à-l'âne, by the way), you basically don't have a choice to get into group to get through this game, uh? I've found just about 3-4 battles yet I could barely or just couldn't win without assistance...

You don't need to group with others at all. You can finish majority of the game solo as long as you're right level for the planet you're doing. You will only be unable to do group quests, which are marked as such (heroic/flashpoint) and aren't required to hit max level, as f2p or otherwise.

I've found just about 3-4 battles yet I could barely or just couldn't win without assistance...

I have a level 55 Jedi Consular on Jedi Covenant. Add the name "Emfour" to your character's friends list - and if I'm online at the time - I can help you out with pretty much anything you're going through now. (This would also help me as I can unlock some achievements for my companions.) I work tonight but shoot me a PM and we'll try to set up a schedule on when we can meet up in the game.

I do endgame as pref. So does Zbyl.

No problemo.

I'm not talking about flashpoints, I'm talking about Hard and Nightmare Mode operations.

I barely log in nowadays, but when I do, it's for an operation :P You can easily get ops passes from GTN for about 150k, and it doesn't take long to get this kind of money (and if I'm too poor to buy it, there's always Hassat with his gazillions of credits). Sure, in order to go for harder ops you need to get artifact equipment unlock as well, which is tad more expensive... but it's very much possible to do endgame as preferred : )