VarsityPuppet

Youtube idiocy and VP's nemesis

newbiemodder, on 18 Apr 2013 - 18:04, said:

What did I do? :D

Lol, no, this would be a good review. Maybe some constructive criticism at the worst.

I know how painful it is, but I think you really should have gone on and shown how later on in the mod, most or alot of the quests were not even completable, since Jaevyn didn't even take the time to review what he implemented and actually get things working on a basic level. That for me is the ONE reason not to play the mod. Quests are broken, areas aren't accessable, etc etc.

Truly a terrible half finished thrown together p.o.s.

It's still really amusing to look at his webpage and see how he pats himself on the back so wholeheartedly for having over 1000 poor shmucks download the mod (if they only knew).

Maybe I will do a second attempt. I literally could not progress to the next area and I didn't really want to waste any more time playing that piece of crap.

Here I go resurrecting dead threads!

I've stated this somewhere before, but I renounced my harsh criticism of Cathalan and Jaevyn. Obviously, I look like a jerk, but more importantly, I used my power and influence to denigrate a modder who honestly just wanted to make something he was passionate about. I could have offered encouragement and constructive feedback, but I suspect I was driven by jealousy and pride.

Anyways, I plan to provide an official post on this shortly

P.S. I should clarify that I'm not endorsing the practices that led to his ban 

As someone that has had many falls from grace* in dealing with folks on this and other KOTOR communities, I may have some suggestions. And I am making this post here rather than doing this in a PM.

Don't private the videos but make them unlisted. Even if you're going to attempt to lessen the blow in your reevaluation and readdresal of the Cathalan situation, you want folks to see what was said.  If they know where to search for the videos (i.e. this thread), they can learn what you did say.  Of course, you can take actions to lessen future harm by turning off comments to those videos though.

I'm not sure what you plan to communicate in your official post. Contrition for what you said? Toning down the negative commentary but providing an even handed review from today's perspective? Will it be making suggestions (or even offers of actual modding help in the form of patches) to the work? Hard to say. But to make the videos completely private just doesn't feel like the right way to go, especially with the thread providing evidence that something happened. Because any apology would have to acknowledge any harm done.

And this was a long post to type on a phone.

* Not her.

• Like 2

I've given this topic a bit more thought somewhat lately, and I think in the eyes of the internet, the most appropriate method to "clear the air" about a subject is to post a follow-up video with your updated perspective and how it has changed over the years.

A blog post is an adequate method, yes, but to get the most exposure and to provide a means to even allow the original video to stand on its own would be to contrast its view with your new one so that the public is aware that you feel the original was too harsh and perhaps that this wasn't your original intention.

It seems I have several things to consider before moving forward. I'm locking the thread for the time being until I've decided on my next course of action.

Thanks for everyone's input.