Sign in to follow this  
Tricky

The Old Republic

So I was wondering if any of you are 'going to have' a crack at Star Wars: The Old Republic. An MMO isn't probably what many of us are after, but so far it seems like Bioware be including a lot of its trademark gameplay elements. That entices me at least. I *wish* I could play it at launch, but I desperately need a new computer. I won't have money for that during the next half year or so. At least I have KOTOR 2 to keep me busy with.

Edited by Tricky

Yeah, Spring 2011 is the planned release date. And I'm definitely gonna have my Jedi Knight there.

Guest GarfieldJL

I probably won't try the game out at all, I am already playing one MMO, and in all seriousness one is enough.

im gonna play it, i was pretty dissapointed when i found out kotor 3 got cancelled, so i cant wait for ToR to come out, it looks really good, and i have been waiting for a starwars MMO to come out for along time

Guest Bob Ta'aar

anybody beside me signed up for the testing and ever got an answer? shouldn't they start that testing rather soon if they wanna release the thing next spring? or did they already start it?

The only reason I'd ever consider playing this game would be to find out the fates of my beloved NPC's but seeing as how there's something called Wikipedia I see no point in paying a monthly fee for something that is undoubtedly going to disappoint.

Guest Bob Ta'aar

Funny, how so many are so critical before having played the game ;). I for myself get more and more excited the more info they release. Right now I honestly believe it could become also in hard mmorpg terms way better than World of Warcraft (wich I made the mistake of wasting a year of my live for ;)).

All the features of your compainions that you can send on quests, on farming, ect., simply awesome!

The cinematic design thing? Wow, looks sweeeet!

All the characters they already introduced: I want mooore!

The only critic I really agree with is that they're making it waaaaay to similar like the whole movie-setup. If you know the comics of the Great Hyperspace War- and Exar Kun/Ulic Quel-Droma-times, it's just odd how the galaxy is supposed to have made such a huge jump in innovation between those times and the MMO now, but having invented hardly ANYTHING in the next three and a half thousand years.

I remember when I first played KotOR. I was like: wow, this is foooouuuurthousand years before the movies. That's like aaaaaaincient! But now it just get's more and more the same, that sucks.

But still, I think it'll be a Star Wars expirience like none before.

Funny, how so many are so critical before having played the game ;). I for myself get more and more excited the more info they release.

FINALLY! Somebody else on this griefer-filled site that's as excited about this game as I am!

I might try it. I'd love to see how they've worked with Dromund Kaas, along with some other places. I'm hoping that Nar Shaddaa will be in it, you just can't get enough of that place!^^

Guest Bob Ta'aar

I hope they widen the choice of playable Alien species yet. I mean, why can you play as a human with EVERY class, but every Alien species is limited to 1-3 classes? That's just bullshit, if ya ask me. But they might open it up yet as there's no finite info on this yet.

That was one big missing point in KotOR anyways. Playable Aliens (yesyes, there are a few more or less well done mods, but having worked with head-models a lot latey, I know the limits, not even to speak of human-related dialogue, ect.).

In the end, I guess, it comes down, wether you're a hardcore AD&D-RPG player, or wether you like MMORPGs as well. As K1&2 are the only AD&Ds I really like to play in singelplayer, I'm not really against the MMO way they're gonna try now. I just hope it'll be good for 'normal' folks with a real-life too. WoW was jost waaaay too time-consuming.

Anyways, have ya seen that they actually try to stick close to the KotOR-expereance with starships and took the Ebon Hawk as a close rolemodel for their designs:

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110114

Guest shinsetsuna

Im personally not very interested in SW:OR. First of all, I would have prefered to see KotOR 3 for the PC instead of this MMO, and words cannot describe just how much I would have prefered KotOR 3 and just how dissapointed I was when they pulled the plug on it

Secondly, Ive played plenty of MMOs. All of them promise to be different from the rest, but they never really are. Im sure the same problems Ive had with previous MMOs, I would have with Star Wars Old Republic. The lack of balance, the bugs that are just left there for you to cope with, the rampant E-drama and the ever present PKing (And SWOR looks like a heavy PvP game). On top of that, MMOs are costly to play. To me, MMOs are never worth what you have to pay to play them (Whether its P2P or F2P, even there isnt much of a difference really)

But who knows. I could always be wrong, and if I ever change my mind and the game is still there, Ill give it a go. I seriously doubt Ill change my mind, though

However, I must confess that I do hope SWOR is a horrible failure, and results in a massive loss of money for LucasArts and anyone involved in its creation. The chances of them going back to making KotOR 3 (As they should have in the first place) is low, but at least Ill know they suffered for it. Yeah, Im vindictive, so sue me...

PS: Yes, I also know that even if SWOR is a failure, the chances of it being as bad as I described above arent high either, but I can always dream

Guest DragonEmperor

I have very mixed feelings on this game. There are some things that look good to me and there are some things that don't look so good.

I love the work that BioWare is putting into this game. Despite the cartoony, animated look and massive cost so far, I have a feeling that they are working hard to make these planets what they should be. There may be balance issues and, as shensetsuna mentioned, the issues all mmos experience, but I am not completely looking down on the game.

Would I have loved to see Kotor 3, not this almost sad attempt to gain a spot in a market glutted with games for a possible cash payout? Yes, I would have loved to see Kotor 3 over this. Obsidian, as a company, is one entity that I place my trust in. They did a pretty good job with Kotor 2 and a possible Kotor 3 would have been wonderful.

This game may yet be a golden egg laying in hiding. I think everything will be answered once this monumental game is finally released fully. Time will only tell.

Being fairly new here, I will refrain from commenting too much except to say that I, like some others I'm sure, aren't into online gaming. With my schedule being what it is, I much rather being able to load up a game and lose myself in it without having to worry about it. That, I am one who believes that I already paid for the game, why in the hell should I have to pay a monthly fee to play the damn thing??? Fortunately, with all the excellent modders out there ( and you know who you are!), I can continue playing TSL and Kotor for a long while to come. :)

Guest Bob Ta'aar

well, as I've said before, I really hope that they make it in a way, that it's also playable for casual gamers, not only for 24/7 mmo freaks :). the whole part with your companions that you have on your ship and can send on missions and everything suggests that TOR could be much better that way than for example WoW.

the whole monthly-fee argument I can't really agree on. I mean, how much does it normally cost? 10, 20 bucks per month? alright, how many games does a normal gamer buy every year? 3, 4, 5? now, when you're playing an mmo, you won't have time (or need :)) for any other game anyways, so you won't have to buy other ones, so in the end, you probably even save money (unless you don't legally buy games anymore anyways, that is ;)).

Guest shinsetsuna

the whole monthly-fee argument I can't really agree on. I mean, how much does it normally cost? 10, 20 bucks per month? alright, how many games does a normal gamer buy every year? 3, 4, 5? now, when you're playing an mmo, you won't have time (or need :)) for any other game anyways, so you won't have to buy other ones, so in the end, you probably even save money (unless you don't legally buy games anymore anyways, that is :)).

Thats at first glance only. If you are someone who works and has a family, thats a lot less hours you can spend playing. Server maintenance, when your Internet dies, blackouts, holidays, exams, busted computer. All of these consist of time you payed for and didnt play = wasted money

Out of the 120-240 you would pay to play the whole year, you are probably playing less than half of what you payed for. The cases where monthly payments are actually cost effective for the gamer are very few, let alone economic. This is much less of a problem or not even a problem with non-MMO games, especially if theyre offline games (KotOR and KotOR 2, anyone?), at least where money is concerned

Of course, some people are actually smart with their money and dont pay for months were they cant play enough to make it worth it. But there are situations you cant predict and inevitably, you will waste money on it, and sometimes a LOT of money. And this is without including installation disc or expansion pack costs for MMOs yet

Well, I usualy check out TOR site, just to see how's the progress.

The game seems fine, and it has one thing that I think that "lacked" on KOTOR: either you choose light or dark side, you always have to go to the same planets, doing the same stuff (varying on your choice, of course). It seems that on TOR you'll have more freedom on that aspect, and beginning as a Sith from ground zero seems quite appealing.

I won't be playing mainly because... it's an MMO. I don't enjoy the prospect of paying monthly for playing a game. I may be old fashioned or something, but I prefer to spend the money on a game, and then have no more worries about paying a monthly fee to keep playing.

Still, it seems it's gonna turn out to be a very nice game... but I would still prefer a KOTOR 3 anyway... but at least soon enough we'll have RoR to cover up for that :)

Guest Bob Ta'aar

who said that you pay for the guarantee that you can play 24/7? so the hardcoregamer gets a multiple of your playtime for the same price? I can't see why this should mean that you don't get what you pay for (I'm no christian, but I remember there beeing a story in the bible even about that it's not importent what other people get for the same money, but that you get, what was told you would ;)).

server-maintenance is a natural thing, you'd get much more down-time without it. all the other times when you'd be unable to play are natural too, but hardly something, a mmo-gamecompany has to compensate you for.

in short: you pay to play a game that needs much real-time service (like gamemods, maintenance, support, ect.), much more than any offline-game. you don't pay for a perfect server, perfect internet, live without family or anything like that, so what's that got to do with it?

in the end, for me it comes down to the question whether I spend more money or less money on gaming if I play an mmo or if I buy multiple new other games (which I don't if I play an mmo). why should I care if the hardcoregamers pay the same money but play much more? I'm sure there are people who bought KotOR and said after a few hours of playtime 'nah, not my kind of game' and put it on the shelf forever. Although they had only a small fraction of playtime of the game compared to folks like us, they paid the very same amount of money for it ;).

I'm by no means a hardcore-gamer or mmo-lover btw., I have 2 jobs, a girlfriend and do all kinds of other stuff if I'm not working (making music, firefighting, politics, ect.) :).

Edit: Sorry, missed your post, Nex.

I'd preferred a KotOR 3 too, btw :D!

Guest shinsetsuna

Bob Ta'aar: There is no need to get defensive. I simply replied to your statement that playing MMOs "probably saves money". I addressed why that isnt entirely true in my second post. I was really just giving my point of view on the matter, so whether I convinced you or not doesnt really matter. If you still believe that playing MMOs saves money, thats fine

I also never stated (at least to my knowledge) that the publisher/provider was somehow to blame for anything, nor that they owed anything to anyone (Or at least, certainly not in the context you presented), and if I did I would like you to point out where did I ever say or imply such a thing

I never said or implied that what you pay for should be a perfect server, perfect internet, life without a family nor anything like that. I know that what you pay for is that they make the game available to you (Whether you can take advantage of that availability or not is another matter). What Im saying is that because of these circumstances result in wasted money, which is opposite of saving money, and some of which do not affect your offline gaming (Hence less money wasted). And obviously, someone who isnt affected by said circumstances gets to take more advantage, which means less money wasted, hence POSSIBLY saving money

Fact 1: For most people, playing an MMO doesnt save money, it does the opposite

Fact 2: Whether its worth it or not is a COMPLETLY different matter which I didnt address. If two people buy the exact same cars, and one pays 2,000 USD and the other pays 5,000 USD, they may both believe it was worth what they payed for, but they didnt both save money

Guest Bob Ta'aar

Bob Ta'aar: There is no need to get defensive. I simply replied to your statement that playing MMOs "probably saves money". I addressed why that isnt entirely true in my second post. I was really just giving my point of view on the matter, ...

So was I :D. And if you look at the the smilies I used, it should be clear that I didn't inted in any way to sound rude or defensive or anything like that ;).

If you keep on buying other games while playing an MMO, you won't spend less money of course.

But server-downtime, reallife and all kinds of things don't make an MMO-fee higher, so I fail to see why they mean that you spend more money.

And if you payed the monthly fee and didn't play 24/7 it's not more wasted money than if you buy a 'normal' game and put it on the shelf forever after just a few hours of gameplay, I can't see any difference there.

And in the end: if you really wanna safe money, there's just one way: DON'T buy at ALL. Neighter a normal game nor a MMO. They both cost money, so you will SPEND rather than SAVE on both ;).

And if you payed the monthly fee and didn't play 24/7 it's not more wasted money than if you buy a 'normal' game and put it on the shelf forever after just a few hours of gameplay, I can't see any difference there.

Now let's add the time factor in, let's look at the situation after two years for example. If you pay for an MMO you paid for it 24 times. As for the game that's on your shelf, you paid nothing more for it.

I think these fees are crap, I don't think I'll ever buy a game where I have to pay to keep playing when I have already bought the game.