Peragus hanger final...

k2_00273.jpg

k2_00307.jpg

k2_00268.jpg

FYI: The below asteroids and star backdrop does look brighter in game and the asteroids less like 2D cardboard cutouts.

k2_00311.jpg

FYI: the long thin shadows in the below screens I believe to be generated by the weapon models I'm using. I'm hoping that they can be "fixed" via texturing in order to turn them off, possibly by using specular as the textures don't appear to be using any -- haven't really checked yet...

k2_002911.jpg

FYI: I did do a version of the Sith Commando tex that retains a steel sheen as the orginal only with better fine details. Personally I prefer the black as it seems more like what a commando would wear as apposed to bright shiny silver armor :/

k2_00258.jpg

k2_00286.jpg

k2_00248.jpg

k2_00278.jpg

k2_00249.jpg

@ VarsityPuppet:

No the graphics brightness setting is at its default.

How the screenshots are shown varies from program to program. For example if I view these screenshots within Windows Photo Viewer, then they are too bright, so much so that the blackness of the space backdrop becomes large discoloured pixels. If I view them via Paint.NET they look as they do as if I am viewing them here. All this via the same desktop yet each program has different color profiles it is using to base how to show the pic on screen. 

But as I said, it is brighter in game, even with the updated textures altering how the scene is rendered.

@ Zhaboka:

Things are brighter in game, the screenshots in particular when it comes to space, seems far more darker out of game. 

Anyway, I just got through updating the asteroid textures and I'm not keen on changing them as it means that I would have to work on them to fit the rest of the textures as Vasilii created his asteroid replacer to work with the vanilla textures. In that context they work well, in my updated textures they may not but rather stick out like a sore thumb.

If after a while I decide that the asteroid texture isn't good enough, then I'll try and update using Vasilii's texture instead ;).

Harbinger external set...

I spent additional time on the Harbinger tex, redoing it as a 2048x2048 texture using some new techniques to add additional detail to it. The ship is so big that the 1024x1024 version was struggling to make do. I think the space backdrop is also 2048x2048 on account of the Ebon Hawk tutorial section where one of the space textures is used at the wrong scale; meant I had to increase the size of others to get it to work which also diminished the brightness of the smaller stars. This then affects the perceived brightness of the screenshots below but it isn't as dark in-game.

Anyway, I also redid the Ebon Hawk tex to the larger size to increase detail; the result is shown in the previous screenshots posted.

k2_00222.jpg

k2_00312.jpg

k2_00223.jpg

k2_00314.jpg

k2_00226.jpg

k2_00297.jpg

k2_00227.jpg

k2_00298.jpg

k2_00228.jpg

k2_00302.jpg

I also created this version of one of the screenshots to use as my notebook's 1366x768 desktop:

k2_wallpaper_greybar_1366x768.png

• Like 1

Things are brighter in game, the screenshots in particular when it comes to space, seems far more darker out of game. 

Anyway, I just got through updating the asteroid textures and I'm not keen on changing them as it means that I would have to work on them to fit the rest of the textures as Vasilii created his asteroid replacer to work with the vanilla textures. In that context they work well, in my updated textures they may not but rather stick out like a sore thumb.

If after a while I decide that the asteroid texture isn't good enough, then I'll try and update using Vasilii's texture instead ;).

I understand. Yours look awesome so far, too. Good luck either way!

That Harbinger looks much more beat-up now. Awesome!

This looks... amazing. Please, keep up the fantastic work. :)

Well, thanks for all the positive comments folks.

I've been busy for a while with other things but thought I'd spend some time on the weekend to finish some things for the Ebon Hawk so as to make some before and after screens to show. The ones below are the Ebon Hawk on leaving Peragus -- I'll show the T3 tutorial wrecked version at a later date.

BTW: the after screens below have been brightened slightly as to make it more like how the textures appear in-game.

k2_00339.jpg

FYI: the hyperspace texture is brighter and has more detail as it were, in-game. I based it off of the only reference I'm aware of for what hyperspace is supposed to look like, the original Star Wars film. As far as I know that is the only one that bothers to show what hyperspace is supposed to be like and it wasn't bright neon blue in any way ;).

k2_00315.jpg

k2_00340.jpg

k2_00316.jpg

k2_00341.jpg

k2_00317.jpg

k2_00342.jpg

k2_00318.jpg

k2_00343.jpg

k2_00319.jpg

k2_00344.jpg

k2_00320.jpg

Final of this set.

k2_00350.jpg

k2_00328.jpg

k2_00348.jpg

k2_00327.jpg

k2_00349.jpg

FYI: There are multiple version for the after as I did multiple versions of the scaffolding texture as I figured it would bother some people. The first one is the current one I'm going for, though the second one is also good in my opinion. The idea is that there the mining robots set to repair the Ebon Hawk repaired the outer hull ok, but when it came to the inside they had to erect temporary walls instead of proper wall, ceiling and floor cladding for the repaired areas. The temporary walls have structural supports along with wiring and foil insulation to protect against the coldness of space. The last one doesn't have this and is closest to the original texture.

k2_00336.jpg

k2_00354.jpg

k2_00355.jpg

k2_00338.jpg

k2_00335.jpg

k2_00337.jpg

FYI: the hyperdrive texture looks a lot better in-game, has more of a specular sheen to it along with being black. I figured that the Ebon Hawk had to be called that for a reason, so I decided to give it a black heart (hyperdrive) ;).

k2_00322.jpg

I know you've tried to stay as close to the original textures in your previous work. Why change around the deck plating in your current shots?

Because whoever at Obsidian did the texture work should have realised less is more. And that's my nice answer ;).

Plus, I couldn't get the other texture with the holes to look good and match everything else.

These deck plating and wall platings too makes much more sense to me. They get a much more uniform feel, as the grates and strange colored walls felt out of place to me. Not to keen on these scaffoldings, however. I'll have to see for myself in game to see if they bother me lol. Your explanation makes sense though.

The original darker floor and wall textures are meant to be newer "patch" pieces installed by the robots for repairs. It might be a bit harder to spot via the screens, but they're still present as it were in my updates. I've gone with a different wall patch texture, as it also gets used on the floor in places -- the newer one makes more sense to me. But, it and the floor texture are actually less worn, darker and have more of a specular gloss to them compared to the other floor and wall textures -- which you can see from some of the shots (not all) depending on the lighting in the area.

Honestly though, there were just too many different styles of textures in use in particular for the floor. I know they were trying to go for a certain feel with it, in that the Ebon Hawk is supposed to of seen better days; but, it was just taken a step too far. If I could, I would still make use of the other floor texture with the holes, just in other ways. Actually, would love to switch / replace what textures are used and how for certain things. For example, I really don't like how the new patch floor texture is used at he wrong scale in places and on the wall in one area. I would really like to change the scale and replace that wall tex with something else more appropriate.

But I think this is how it is going to be for now.

It took me seven years and what must be twenty playthroughs of TSL to just now realize that that scaffolding is where the ship was damaged in the Prologue. Wow. Mind blown.

Great work! I prefer Alternative #2 for the scaffolding, but your main-concept one looks really good!

So, I've been busy with my texture work, currently focused on doing NPCs -- aliens. But, to have a break I switched over to doing some of the effect textures; one of which was the Sith Lightning...

k2_00399.jpg

Feel the full power of the dark-side of the force!  :startle:

k2_00401.jpg

I think so far it's turned out pretty good considering this was a quick mockup test I did to see how it initially looks in-game.

And yes, that is Nar Shaddaa in the background ;).

Before I start showing before and after of alien textures, I thought I'd show my early test-case in way of (human) characters...

The following before and after have the same background textures used to better highlight the difference, as the effect can be subtle -- I especially don't want to be too heavy handed with human faces; FYI: this is of Jana Lorso the Cerka executive at Telos Citadel station.

k2_00152.jpg

k2_00149.jpg

This set best shows off the subtle specular applied to the face to give some dynamic definition -- you won't see it that well in the side by side shots, but the hair actually has a sheen to it that changes depending upon how you look at it.

k2_facestestearly.jpg

In case anyone is interested how my Sith Lightning effect ended up... FYI: the screens also show the new Quarren and Gamorrean textures.

k2_00425.jpg

k2_00426.jpg

k2_00427.jpg

k2_00429.jpg

Can you change the lightning "around the characters"? Right now, everything looks crazy hi-def and then we see the white-ish/blue-ish blob around the NPC's. Kind of breaks the spell...

Edited by MrPhil

Love it, absolutely love it. One thing though, are you releasing all of those alternate scaffolding?  If so, would you be opposed to making a version with it invincible? I always play through the game with a mod that does this because I like the feeling of a newer hawk, one closer to the K1 version.