Still, I agree lightsabers are the important part of a Star Wars game, and seems like that was a bad thing to overlook

We are in agreement on that one; especially as it's likely a quick fix on their end.

Not sure if it is newworthy or not -- as someone may have already done this -- but I do believe I have fixed the sabers so that they render properly in the Aspyr (Steam) version of the game...

So this is an unedited version of the model, note how the handle is rendered dark grey:

swkotor2-2018-01-28-15-12-33.jpg

And this is the edited (green) saber model:

swkotor2-2018-01-28-15-12-46.jpg

Have tested it out in another location within saber combat, looks fine so far.

• Like 2

Not sure if it is newworthy or not -- as someone may have already done this -- but I do believe I have fixed the sabers so that they render properly in the Aspyr (Steam) version of the game...

So this is an unedited version of the model, note how the handle is rendered dark grey:

swkotor2-2018-01-28-15-12-33.jpg

And this is the edited (green) saber model:

swkotor2-2018-01-28-15-12-46.jpg

Have tested it out in another location within saber combat, looks fine so far.

Great find!

It seems that the Steam version generally doesn't support cubemap based surfaces; almost all modded textures that are shiny in the original Kotor look transparent in Steam version, which is also one of the reasons why I cant get myself into modding these games again.

Do you know by chance how to fix those in Steam?

Great find!

It seems that the Steam version generally doesn't support cubemap based surfaces; almost all modded textures that are shiny in the original Kotor look transparent in Steam version, which is also one of the reasons why I cant get myself into modding these games again.

Do you know by chance how to fix those in Steam?

Nope, last time I installed and played KotOR was around 2 years ago (if not longer) and it was the CD retail version. Never came across the issue before, but if it is just the characters, then it is an appearance.2da fix. If it is more than the characters, then it is a fix requiring something like a custom solution like Shader Override.

So an update...

I'm just about finished with what I planned for Dxun, I added a feature to my tool to fix the meshes so that the buggy fog isn't a problem for those who also want to use ReShade and can't use Shader Override. Basically the feature meant that hours of work took less than 30 minutes. For the most part. There's always the odd model or two that you need to go in and manually look at and change so that the game doesn't crash. I have 2 such models left for the Dxun Tomb exterior that I haven't gotten around to doing -- probably tonight just to have it finally out of the way.

swkotor2-2018-01-29-20-13-51.jpg

The real issue with Dxun is that all the rest of the textures need to be redone so as to capture the look again. It's surprising how much the original (working) fog covered up when it came to the textures. But that will have to wait.

The big thing that bugged me with the Aspyr Steam update however, was not the fog but the sabers. Once I had a working tool that I could customise to my needs, I started looking at the issue to determine whether I could get them working without having to use a custom version of Shader Override (or the like). Turns out I could. Once that happened I started to focus on lightsabers.

I don't have time or all the tools to update the models, however, I did start a texture mod for them a while back. I carried this further and completed a range of saber texture variants to use for certain colours:

So this base plain silver is used for: Blue, Green and Yellow -- these are the Jedi class colours for KotOR:

swkotor2-2018-01-29-20-05-09.jpg

The next is an "ornate" version of the silver, that has something like an engraved pattern effect. This will be used for: Violet, Orange, Cyan and Viridian:

swkotor2-2018-01-29-20-05-43.jpg

Next is another "ornate" version but the "engravings" are a gold and the base metal is darker -- this is for Red (Sith):

swkotor2-2018-01-29-20-06-21.jpg

Next is a gold saber version -- this one is used for Silver:

swkotor2-2018-01-29-20-06-45.jpg

Lastly there is the "ornate" gold version -- used by Bronze:

swkotor2-2018-01-29-20-07-02.jpg

It's not perfect, rather quick texture jobs for me -- though editing and testing models is a real time sink. The original plan was to have unique models for each, gather models and got permission from the community for this years ago. Might still do it in the future, but, this is the quickest "fix" I could do with limited time.

I also re-did all saber UI images, as I found they weren't clear as to the type of saber -- double, single, short -- and a few of the colours used for the blade colour just weren't clear:

swkotor2-2018-01-29-12-10-05.jpg

Finally I may redo some of the actual sabre blade colour effects based on how they are rendered now.

My short-short list of things to do before I can release the mod:

• Double-check hand sister appearance and verify that it is all working and not causing bugs.
  • Verify that the female (placeholder) variants for the armour changes I made are working -- can't recall if I test this or not.
  • Finish the last Dxun Tomb texture -- the large animated computer screen that has become a chore to do.
  • Telos restoration zone grass texture -- to go with the overhaul textures.
  • Telos restoration zone shield (animated)
  • The odd screwed up appearances for NPCs where I forced them to use a spec map for alpha when it needs to be used for transparency.

I'm going to have to push back the release of the mod for a bit. I've run out of time and motivation. I have things to do by the 31st, and then some other things early Feb. And a lot of this work is just tedious due to how repetitive it is -- even with the tool I still do a lot of trial and error testing that is a drain of time and energy.

So, I will look at this all again come next weekend to see when I can do the rest of the above.

• Like 1

So, an update...

Realised that the Dxun jungle fixes were resulting in the affected model textures being rendered too bright, so, I fixed that:

Before...

swkotor2-2018-01-29-20-13-51.jpg

After...

swkotor2-2018-01-30-23-55-58.jpg

Before...

swkotor2-2018-01-27-00-39-43.jpg

After...

swkotor2-2018-01-31-18-26-21.jpg

I completed the fix for the rest of the Dxun jungle areas, however, ran into a problem with the Dxun Tomb exterior:

Something to do with the architecture of the trees -- trunk and branches -- and there being so many in one large open space, that the engine doesn't like resulting in the game crashing, so, for the time being I have left them unaffected. I suspect that this is an underlying issue with the engine that the developers were aware of, why Dxun was so affected by the fog bug -- as the engine was not developed to handle certain geometry like this.

swkotor2-2018-02-07-00-17-43.jpg

Decided to make some changes to the Telos Polar Academy -- making use of textures made and unused for the Tomb:

In this case I made some new ones to replace textures used in the landing area (floor) that were obviously at the wrong scale...

swkotor2-2018-02-07-00-11-51.jpg

Then I addressed the alternate Jedi Council meeting chambers, switching out textures to make it seem more like what it was intended to be...

swkotor2-2018-02-04-01-10-00.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-04-01-16-27.jpg

Lastly I reworked the Atris' Sith Holocron chamber...

swkotor2-2018-02-04-22-49-59.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-04-01-12-38.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-04-01-13-02.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-04-22-50-23.jpg

These Sith Holocron textures I did ages ago...

swkotor2-2018-02-04-01-14-06.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-04-01-15-29.jpg

Checked the Hand Sister appearance, all seems to be working correctly as far as I can tell.

Some miscellaneous stuff... [had to post this separate as I hit my max images per post limit]

Did a quick retexture of HK47 again, this time making his texture a more orange rust color as per his profile pic and his original appearnace in KoTOR...

swkotor2-2018-02-04-20-44-42.jpg

Got around to doing the war droid textures -- these are just a quick tex job; not all shown below...

swkotor2-2018-02-06-23-59-17.jpg

Did a quick retex of the drain effect as I didn't seem why it needed to look like I was on fire -- really a WIP, as it can be improved upon; and the effect on the body is animated...

swkotor2-2018-02-05-00-01-56.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I thought I'd clarify some things.

I've been working on my tool quite a bit, in that I wanted to get certain features done before I left it alone for I don't know how long. One of the things I wanted to do was support K1 models, which it hadn't up until that point. That was relatively easy. Then I wanted to support the conversion of K1 models to K2; that was a bit more involving considering the way the tool reads the models. I also had to write a feature that removed orphan controller header data that I think an old version of MDLOps would put into the model files.

Having done this I put it to the test, in that I gained permission (quite some time ago) from Toasty Fresh to use his weapon work within my mod. My plan back then was to replace all the models and create new ones for all the uniques, never got a round to it. Since then Sithspecter released a weapon mod for TSL for all the ranged weapons that looks great -- haven't gotten around to using it myself as I wanted to keep my install primarily just to my own mod files for clarity. So, I focused on the melee weapons.

I converted the models, got them working, and updated the textures so that each had their own variant to (more or less) match those found in TSL. I also created some new model variants to use in special cases from model variants that Toasty supplied. However, I also used some weapon models done by Oldflash who I also got permission years ago to use his work -- though, I think he has since stated that anyone can use his work.

One on the left is the new (Peragus) Vibrocutter unique, middle is an example of a Vibrosword with a Damascus steel blade texture, and the one on the right is an Oldflash weapon model that I was using for a new weapon. It also has a Damascus steel texture effect for the blade, which I was using to denote a "Sith" or dark-side variant weapon.

swkotor2-2018-02-06-16-40-32.jpg

However, on playing a section of the game repeatedly -- the tomb -- I found that the game would crash when one of the NPCs would switch to a vibrosword. I've determined that it is the new models, however, haven't found what issue with them is causing this. It could be a model mesh setting that I set that doesn't need to be set, it could be a setting that isn't set that needs to be set, it could be the base model type I'm using for the weapon -- weapons can be any number of model types -- or it could be something to do with the conversion process that got stuffed up that I haven't catched yet.

I'll give it some more work, however, I will likely remove the new models and textures for the release and just leave the new UI icons in place for weapons. When the game loads a model based on the UTI and finds the model variant is not present, it defaults to the first model variant for that weapon type. So, it won't look great in a few cases, however, the game will still be playable with the vanilla melee weapon models or with someone else's that replaces them.

The main thing I would like to do, is complete the dxun tomb animated computer screens, for which I am still testing out colour schemes to use:

swkotor2-2018-02-05-00-15-40.jpg

It's the main thing I want to get done. I'd also like to do the Telos RZ grass texture, however, I currently have it as a simple transparent texture so, it won't look as great but it is still playable.

I've simply run out of time on this, I really want to get some kind of release done as I don't know when or if I will ever return to this again. But I have devoted too much time to it already due to my stubbornness and puzzling interest in this game, considering the future of (and vision for) Star Wars based on the last film released by Disney. I can only think of this video series as to why TSL (over KotOR) as a story holds such interest for me, and why I wanted to tell my own story within it via a planet mod.

My intent currently is to complete a few things and the try a few things for the sword models to see if I can get them to work without crashing the game. Then I need to playtest the start of the game to ensure that I don't have any testing stuff still appearing at the start. Once that is done, I will then compile a list of all the things this mod does (to the best of my recollection) and then zip up my mod files to release them.

When I have more to post, I will. 

I've done a TSL Toasty Fresh weapon set for personal use that I used for a long time (and still use parts of). The problem with your crashing is likely from the shadow casting. The only way to make models not exhibit what I call 'the infinite shadow issue' is to make the meshes not have any overlapping parts within themselves. You can think of it as no hidden/internal/trapped faces ... here's an example:

post-25787-0-07554800-1517973428_thumb.jpg

Sometimes, this issue just shows up as "weird" elongated shadows that seem to distort towards a point in the distance (when viewed from certain angles), at other times it causes crashing. I assume which behavior you get depends on lots of different factors.

So I don't know if you'll want to fix TF's meshes, but you can always just turn off the shadow flag if you're looking for something quick and dirty. I think I just left them alone because there are only a couple that are bad and for me they don't crash, just have messed up shadows (also I only recently figured out what the problem is and how to fix it).

I've done a TSL Toasty Fresh weapon set for personal use that I used for a long time (and still use parts of). The problem with your crashing is likely from the shadow casting. The only way to make models not exhibit what I call 'the infinite shadow issue' is to make the meshes not have any overlapping parts within themselves. You can think of it as no hidden/internal/trapped faces ... here's an example:

Sometimes, this issue just shows up as "weird" elongated shadows that seem to distort towards a point in the distance (when viewed from certain angles), at other times it causes crashing. I assume which behavior you get depends on lots of different factors.

So I don't know if you'll want to fix TF's meshes, but you can always just turn off the shadow flag if you're looking for something quick and dirty. I think I just left them alone because there are only a couple that are bad and for me they don't crash, just have messed up shadows (also I only recently figured out what the problem is and how to fix it).

It's a possibility that it is something to do with the issue, but if you are referring to the shadow-flag (byte) in the mesh node, then I already tried turning them off. However, I've found that the dirt-texture entries (both Int16) also affect whether shadows get rendered or not. I set them bot to zero but haven't gotten around to testing them yet -- it doesn't crash immediately, but something like 15-25 minutes into play.

Again, could be part of the issue, but, I need to audit the edited model files to make sure that the changes made when converting to TSL haven't been stuffed up anywhere. It may also be a case that switching to a different model type will solve the issue -- as not all of them cast shadows. Hopefully it is something easy that doesn't require model mesh editing, as I'm not set up for that or have the time for it -- my modelling experience (especially for 3DSMax) is limited. Which could be the case if it is actually something to do with the scale controller which resizes the meshes to look right in the game.

My feeling is that it could be this, as that is likely what the game is doing when it crashes. It's resizing the models based on read in mdx data that may have issues or it is just not expecting the models to needing to be scaled -- I'd have to check the vanilla models, but, I think they don't use this controller and its presence could be causing the issue.

So, I fixed my melee weapons problem:

All good, even the shadows render properly without issue.

swkotor2-2018-02-07-22-34-10.jpg

Turns out it was a conversion problem of sorts. When I wrote the code, I stuffed up the file header .mdl byte length entry correction. Essentially it didn't update at all, which I fixed, however, I had already exported a bunch of models. I decided to manually fix this for them. It just so happens that for the vibroswords, I got one of the entries wrong, it was 164999 instead of 16499.

Funny thing is that this is actually important. I initially realised that I had stuffed up the correction of these entries when I realised certain models were not being rendered in-game. Oddly some were, however, I hadn't played long enough for these to cause a game crash. I found that out with the vibroswords later. So far it seems like it was only the vibroswords that were affected; all of them, as Toasty made a different style of model for each, and I opted to use the one style for all variants. So, they were all copies of the same model file with the bad entry.

I think it won't be an issue for any of the rest, so, I should be able to release with updated models / textures for the sword melee weapons.

However, on my numerous playtests of the Dxun Tomb to test for the above issue, I got very used to playing this part of the game so much so that I started to notice things I hadn't before. Like this issue with the fixed lightsaber models:

swkotor2-2018-02-07-21-51-33.jpg

So the problem is that particle effects -- those with blending mode additive -- are blending over the top (as it were) with the lightsabers particle effect -- the blades. I'll need to test some things, including seeing if this was an issue with the original saber models. But hopefully I can fix this or at least modify some of the particle effects (that use dark textures) so that this won't be an issue -- though, there will likely be a trade off.

I also need to load and check each area of the game, as I found I had some left over temp textures used for finding out how certain textures were being used in areas:

swkotor2-2018-02-08-20-52-28.jpg

Can't release a mod with such a glaring oversight. Not sure what this means for time-frame...

• Like 1
  • Light Side Points 1

So, I was working on a few things during Sunday, first was the Saber issue. Sadly, I cannot do much at the present to fix this other then address the black explosion decal from grenades and such:

So once I figured out which FX tecture was being used for this, I replaced it with a higher quality one and toned down the strength of the blackness. This will help mitigate the bleed through the lightsaber blade, however, depends upon ground surface and blade colour. FYI I can't do much with the most problematic area, that being with smoke being used in environments. However, I figure that most players aren't going to be running up to the edges of things to wave their sabers about -- have to play, but, I think most people will not notice or notice it rarely.

swkotor2-2018-02-11-17-25-40.jpg

On looking at the Korriban pink cave wall issue, I realised that the cave largely made use of only 3 textures, so, I just replaced them:

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-35-56.jpg

This resulted in me looking at the other areas of Korriban, and noticed that some of the outside textures were being used in the Academy:

Earlier external Korriban work...

swkotor2-2016-03-25-20-15-54.jpg

Resulted in this for inside the academy:

swkotor2-2018-02-11-14-30-33.jpg

I was going to edit the models so that they used different models to the outside but, then I just started replacing textures using a specific texture used on the outside as the basis for much of the ones on the inside:

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-41-54.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-40-43.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-42-37.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-40-25.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-45-04.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-45-01.jpg

• Like 2

So continued due to images per post limitation...

I also went and did the textures for the secret tomb as well:

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-47-25.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-47-39.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-48-38.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-49-20.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-49-40.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-49-55.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-50-28.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-50-42.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-50-57.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-51-12.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-51-37.jpg

And that's all of Korriban done.

• Like 2

So, I was working on a few things during Sunday, first was the Saber issue. Sadly, I cannot do much at the present to fix this other then address the black explosion decal from grenades and such:

So once I figured out which FX tecture was being used for this, I replaced it with a higher quality one and toned down the strength of the blackness. This will help mitigate the bleed through the lightsaber blade, however, depends upon ground surface and blade colour. FYI I can't do much with the most problematic area, that being with smoke being used in environments. However, I figure that most players aren't going to be running up to the edges of things to wave their sabers about -- have to play, but, I think most people will not notice or notice it rarely.

swkotor2-2018-02-11-17-25-40.jpg

On looking at the Korriban pink cave wall issue, I realised that the cave largely made use of only 3 textures, so, I just replaced them:

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-35-56.jpg

This resulted in me looking at the other areas of Korriban, and noticed that some of the outside textures were being used in the Academy:

Earlier external Korriban work...

swkotor2-2016-03-25-20-15-54.jpg

Resulted in this for inside the academy:

swkotor2-2018-02-11-14-30-33.jpg

I was going to edit the models so that they used different models to the outside but, then I just started replacing textures using a specific texture used on the outside as the basis for much of the ones on the inside:

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-41-54.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-40-43.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-42-37.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-40-25.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-45-04.jpg

swkotor2-2018-02-12-23-45-01.jpg

Personally, I think this is one of the most sorely needed fixes in TSL. Obsidian had a particular talent for reusing assets almost to the point it made the game look repetitive, and it severely cripples the potential to update any textures as they unintentionally affect numerous other parts of the game.

To install these texture fixes, do we have to put all new area models to the game? That's the biggest limitation I encountered when I tried working on Telos.

So far Korriban hasn't had any .mdl edits so won't require updated models to be install but, most other areas end up having model edits to at least change textures used.

I in particular like to change any texture from another texture set to the area I'm working on that I find. It's hard enough when its textures within this set that get used all over the place for all manner of purposes, but it's even more of a pain to find that the area is using a texture from somewhere else that I've long stopped work on. It's easier to switch it to have a clean canvas to work on than it is to try and adapt your direction to work with what has been done for another area.

• Like 2

Looking forward to this.

"Dooku Voice."

How's the functionality going to be divided up?

Looking forward to this.

"Dooku Voice."

How's the functionality going to be divided up?

If you mean the installation files, at the moment I have a lot of things in sub-folders, however, my original intent was just to copy all that into a single folder. But, with the issues with the lightsabers, I thought I would at least separate those out as though they fix issues, they come with a trade-off.

I may also do the same with things like armor / robes. Not everyone is going to like the changes I made to models or, the changes I made to the UTI files themselves -- I made certain robes for example, to be light / dark side limited along with a few that are class limited.

Regardless, the bulk of the mod files are actually all organised into the one sub-folder at the moment.

I'm curious about something, how are you managing the scenes where a PM contacts you through the force/comlink inside the Ebon Hawk but the EH is obviously using the textures from said module you're currently in. 

I'm curious about something, how are you managing the scenes where a PM contacts you through the force/comlink inside the Ebon Hawk but the EH is obviously using the textures from said module you're currently in. 

You'd have to be specific with when this happens, as the most recent part of the game I have played is the last part of the game commencing with the Telos station attack.

It depends upon the models they are using, typically when it cuts to some other part of a place, it doesn't use that place as you would see it as the player moving through the environment. It's actually a fake enclosed set  that is in the same level "scene." So it you are on Telos, and it cuts to the "Ebon Hawk" it doesn't load the Ebon Hawk level and models it just jumps to a small little enclosed interior model that is way off to one part of the level.

Anyway, depends upon the model in that you could replace the textures with ones that look a better fit, and if that doesn't work or isn't an option, you can replace the models used themselves.

However, I have yet to do any of that so far; my focus has been on other things and it has been so long since I played various parts of the game, that I am just unaware of them. Also, I can't help but end up playing a dark-side character, so conceivably, there are parts of the game I have actually NOT seen as they are restricted to light-side players.

• Like 1

Mainly I'm referring to Atton contacting you whilst you're on Dxun and the scene on Nar Shaddaa where Kreia gives you a lesson on kindnesses and cruelties.

Those are the only two "fake enclosed sets" I can think of.

But they'd need model changing IMO so the textures correspond with the actual Ebon Hawk modules.

Mainly I'm referring to Atton contacting you whilst you're on Dxun and the scene on Nar Shaddaa where Kreia gives you a lesson on kindnesses and cruelties.

Those are the only two "fake enclosed sets" I can think of.

But they'd need model changing IMO so the textures correspond with the actual Ebon Hawk modules.

Any model changes will have to wait until I add the features to my tool to support it. Any additional work will have to likely wait until near the end of May; and that still depends on various factors.

Whereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee is eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

You might benefit from re-reading what he wrote ^^ End of May is still quite a ways off.

Any additional work will have to likely wait until near the end of May; and that still depends on various factors.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future!

• Like 1