Well I'll be going back to do Peragus, then the Harbinger. Then probably the Ebon Hawk if I actually don't do that first considering that you appear their first for the tutorial segment.

Anyway, the idea being that people can then play from the start all the way through to Telos -- which sill has a few odds and ends for me to finish off. Also, I've played those and have save games for them, which makes it easier for me to test as I don't have to play anything first.

BTW: is there any reason why I can't set my account to notify me via my Gmail account. It's the one I generally check for notifications about stuff, like forum posts, yet the site doesn't like it for some reason...

Somebody else had a problem registering with a Gmail account. IPS must hate Google or something...?

Yes, it is a Hotmail account but only because I couldn't use my Gmail account. I've been trying to migrate away from Hotmail to Gmail for a while now. Basically, I rarely check Hotmail now.

If anyone knows why it won't take my Gmail account, would like to know as it didn't seem to think it was valid for some perplexing reason and I have a feeling that it's just some gmail emails not all of them that it doesn't like :/

If you mean the mod a teaser version is up already via Deadly Stream and it can be downloaded here.

If you mean when will I update this, well... Ah, maybe by the end of May -- this month.

Maybe.

Well, it's been a while, longer than I had intended. So, without further delay here are some screens of my latest work retexturing the Peragus mining facility...

k2_00197.jpg

k2_00158.jpg

k2_00199.jpg

k2_00160.jpg

k2_00198.jpg

k2_00159.jpg

k2_00200.jpg

k2_00161.jpg

k2_00201.jpg

k2_00162.jpg

k2_00202.jpg

k2_00163.jpg

k2_00203.jpg

k2_00164.jpg

• Like 1

I like how they still look like the original, just better.

Most HD mods I come across make the game look waaay too different for my tastes.

Looking forward to it!

@ Hassat Hunter:

Not to mention that the file sizes are huge! At least 1024x1024 for all textures; pretty sure one I checked out was using 2048x2048 as default. Think about how "big" those textures are when you factor in that the default for the vanilla game are 256x256. That means that one texture can fit 64 vanilla default textures if 2048x2048,16 if it is 1024x1024, and, 4 if 512x512. I don't think that when these modders (who are probably very inexperienced in their defense) have bothered to do the calculations, especially considering, that the texture files have to be in TGA format to be used in game. Hell, even if you could get them in game as DDS it would still be a large file in way of mbs.

And the real kicker of it is, that all that *extra* texture data that is supposed to provide greater "HD" detail in game is pretty much lost as the render can only render so much. If you look at modern games, their standard is usually something like 512x512 in way of dimensions -- if not still 256x256. They get greater *detail* from their textures in-game due to their game's render and newer techniques like normal / parallax mapping. Even without these you would still get better detail from a more modern renderer from the base diffuse texture in-game, especially from post-processing shaders that can sharpen images, provide HDR and bloom effects, along with smoothing jagged edges.

Anyway the point of my rant is that the other HD projects I've seen are failing to get the most out of what the renderer can do. My default texture size is 512x512 in that most of my textures are upsized by doubling their dimensions. Any more than that is a case of diminishing returns as you get less and less for more and more memory taken up by these textures. My current max is 1024x1024, but, that's for very large objects like ships where the extra size means more visible detail in game that would be lost on anything smaller.

@ Sith Holocron:

I've pretty much done all the textures for Peragus and the Ebon Hawk. There are some bits that I need to get around to doing, one or two textures I need to find first before I can do that though.

Though I have not done the inside of the Harbinger yet, I have done the outside of the Peragus mining facility and that includes the Harbinger tex. But, you'll have to wait for me to post it up first ;).

I think I will release it as a proper download release once I've completed a few things:

• Do Harbinger textures,
  • Complete the few missing textures for Peragus and Telos,
  • Revise Telos texture specular,
  • Probably rework very first textures that were for the Telos restoration zone,
  • All droid enemy textures that appear in these areas,
  • All the placeable object textures that appear in these areas,
  • Maybe all the character textures for those that appear in these areas -- maybe just major characters,
  • Probably rework the UI textures as well, especially some of those mouse cursors.

Though, I think I will also be updating various models first as I want to be more thorough with the update. Don't see the point in just updating textures for stuff like weapons where they are so low-poly and base texture so low in quality where I might as well start from scratch. But I'll only do this if I can get permission from people to use their models and textures.

Anyway, that would delay things a bit as it might take a while to track down some people I think. But, it should be a size-able portion of the game remastered by that point.

Peragus hangar area...

k2_00204.jpg

k2_00180.jpg

k2_00205.jpg

k2_00181.jpg

k2_00206.jpg

k2_00182.jpg

FYI: I am probably going to rework / redo the asteroid texture used in the next screens...

k2_00261.jpg

k2_00233.jpg

k2_00262.jpg

k2_00234.jpg

@ Sith Holocron:

I've pretty much done all the textures for Peragus and the Ebon Hawk. There are some bits that I need to get around to doing, one or two textures I need to find first before I can do that though.

Though I have not done the inside of the Harbinger yet, I have done the outside of the Peragus mining facility and that includes the Harbinger tex. But, you'll have to wait for me to post it up first ;).

I was actually only referring to Harbinger's exterior texture. ;)