Sign in to follow this  
Guest oharaandrewlp

black screen on Malachor

Guest oharaandrewlp

EDIT: Never mind. I fixed my problem. I found another post saying that the unnoficial USM patch for TSLRCM was incompatible with this version of the mod. I did a clean install of kotor without USM and I can now succesfully begin malachor.

Hey,

I just ran into a huge bug when I arrived on Malachor V. The conversation between Scion and Kreia begins, but then the screen turns black while they are still talking. Then the landing movie plays, and then the talking continues, but still with a black screen. After they are finished, the screen is still black, but I can open the menu and go to my inventory. I have tried saving and reloading, and loading from several previous save games but nothing seems to work.

The game is fully patched, I am using the 1.6 version of TSLRCM with the Nar Shadda fix. I am also using the Vista Compatability Patch. None of my other mods have any file conflicts with TSLRCM.

Are there any solutions or workarounds available?

Edited by oharaandrewlp

Guest staticjoe66

oharaandrewlp I've got the exact same issue and can't figure out what the root cause is

EDIT: Never mind. I fixed my problem. I found another post saying that the unnoficial USM patch for TSLRCM was incompatible with this version of the mod. I did a clean install of kotor without USM and I can now succesfully begin malachor.

Hey,

I just ran into a huge bug when I arrived on Malachor V. The conversation between Scion and Kreia begins, but then the screen turns black while they are still talking. Then the landing movie plays, and then the talking continues, but still with a black screen. After they are finished, the screen is still black, but I can open the menu and go to my inventory. I have tried saving and reloading, and loading from several previous save games but nothing seems to work.

The game is fully patched, I am using the 1.6 version of TSLRCM with the Nar Shadda fix. I am also using the Vista Compatability Patch. None of my other mods have any file conflicts with TSLRCM.

Are there any solutions or workarounds available?

I ran into this issue just a few days ago. I noticed that the original poster said that it seemed to work just fine if USM was uninstalled. Well, I started this playthrough using the original, non-functional USM-TSLRCM compatibility patch (with TSLRCM and USM installed, of course). I soon found out after I started the game that that compatibility patch was getting revamped. I downloaded the new version compatibile with TSLRCM 1.6 and up when it debuted and used the .exe according to instructions to install (without uninstalling the previous version of USM/compatibility patch). I looked at the log and noticed the new TSLpatchdata files didn't take and was forced to do a manual comparison and overwrite files as needed. As I was doing so, I noticed that when comparing the tslpatchdata folder from the old TSLRCM-USM patcher to the new one, the old one (that supposedy didn't work) contained two additional files: oldk_907_enter.ncs and oldk_kreiaspawn.ncs. (Was this an oversight?) This means that if I were to do a fresh install, the versions of the two files that would end up in the override folder would be that from the original USM compilation (i.e. unaltered by the compatibility patch). So I fished out these two files from the original USM.rar and stuck them in the override. Things worked fine after that with only a few minor dialogue bugs relating to training party members in particular force techniques (some worked, others didn't). If USM is indeed the game-breaking culprit here, is there something I'm missing in order to get it working?

Just thought I'd through my two cents in here. I'm having the same issue. I originally use the 1.6 and up USM compatibility patch and every thing worked great until Malachor and I get the black screen instead of loading onto the surface; I'm able to enter the menu's and the map is on Treyus Core.

I did the same thing as the above poster and pulled the oldk_907_enter.ncs and oldk_kreiasapwn.ncs from from the orignal USM patch and I'm still getting that back screen. The only way around it is to either not have USM installed or use a warp to the Malachor surface. Not sure if I'm missing anything from warping though.

I just wanted to post an update on this. I deleted all the files in the override folder for USM and moved in the backup copies. From there I played from a save on the Ravager and everything works fine. It seems to be interfering with the scene where Sion informs Kreia of your arrival on Malachor. I just don't know what files are being effected or how one would go about fixing them.

If you're using USM, you can also just use a warp code from that black screen to the Malachor surface and everything works fine from there, you just don't see that scene.

well, i cant get to the cheat console to warp(having never used the console, i dno if thats what u use to warp) i saved the game while in the black screen, and reloaded it, and i ended up in the core, i see sion in the choke animation from kreia, and when i talk to kreia she says i have to go to dantooine to meet the jedi masters, i dont wanna delete the usm, because it is really good, but i also wanna finish the game with the TLSRCM mod(havent finished it yet with this mod installed).

Does moving those 2 files from the orginal usm into the ppatch make it work?

I think I need to clarify that I did that work on getting the 'right' version of the compatibility patch in the override folder (manual comparison, etc.) long before I came to Malachor. This issue at least on my end still remains unsolved. Is there anyone who has USM and TSLRCM with the newest compatibility patch who is able to complete the game without issue?

I had exactly the same issue. I wish I had read this before installing the USM and playing to near the end of the game. So many hours... and I'm guessing that even if I reinstall without the USM my savegames aren't really going to be usable anymore, and even if they were all the crystals and upgrades to those sabers would go down the gutter.

Having the same problem. Trying to figure out what to remove to make it work again. USM doesn't seem to be the source, at least not the files i've removed so far.

EDIT: I've removed USM but that breaks my game files. Does anyone know *which* files are specifically breaking this scene?

Edited by barachiel

I think I need to clarify that I did that work on getting the 'right' version of the compatibility patch in the override folder (manual comparison, etc.) long before I came to Malachor. This issue at least on my end still remains unsolved. Is there anyone who has USM and TSLRCM with the newest compatibility patch who is able to complete the game without issue?

same, i got to the end of the game, got the black screen, then came on here and saw this thread, which was made before i started the game, now i quit kotor for awhile :confused:

Same here.

This is the third time TSL has broken on me in endgame. First time, was due to a hard drive failure. Second time was due to updating TSLRCM from 1.5 to 1.7. And now the USM compatability patch doesn't actually do its job. Three strikes, I'm out.

Is there a Let's Play of Malachor V, TSLRCM style? I refuse to waste another 20 hours trying to replay this.

Something similar happened to me after meeting the Jedi Masters on Dantooine. After Kreia killed them all the screen goes black and she keeps talking. Without TSLRCM I remember her looking down on the unconscious Exile while saying "how somebody could turn away from such power...you were afraid." but now the screen stays black and only becomes visible again for the next scene where Kreia talks to Handmaiden.

I just finished the game. First let me congratulate and thank everybody involved in this.

Now the issue with Malachor. Like everybody else the screen went black for me too but saving and loading again made it visible. I was in the Trayus core where Kreia waits, the map function doesn't work (i.e. is totally white). Talking to her she says we need to get to Dantooine. Nothing else can be done there.

I downloaded the warpband mod and warped to the surface of Malachor and finished the game as usual (but with the restored content of course). Only downside to this approach is during the scene where the companions face Kreia there are actually two Kreias sitting there.

I don't know if the USM is at fault since it worked well when I last played the un-restored game several years ago. If it helps I can send savegames to whoever wants to look into this.

Yes, having not done so yet, I too would like to express my thanks to all who have taken the time to improve such an old (but still great) game and give it the proper completion it deserves. All of you deserve recognition for your part in seeing this come to pass.

Now, it is my understanding that this is the second attempt from this group to make USM and TSLRCM compatible. The second go around it was supposed to have been tested. Are the modders aware of this issue? Is there any investigation/work being done to fix this?

I am not trying to be disrespectful in any way here. However, since this is a gamebreaker (one that seems to be at least a few months old, mind you), I would think it would at least garner attention from those who can do something about it. As far as I can tell from scanning the thread (and I could very well be mistaken here), it has produced zero responses from any such person. Do you need some sort of savegame to work off of or something? We could all obviously oblige. Either way, please at least acknowledge that some sort of progress is at least being attempted.

Thanks from all of us :-)

EDIT: So I did a search with black screen on Malachor (or somesuch as keywords) which pulled up 6 threads here discussing this same issue. All posts there operate on the assumption that this is a TSLRCM/USM compatibility problem. However, they were all dated before the "working" compatibility patch was released for versions 1.6 and up.

In one of those posts, they say that it has to do with the fact the old patch didn't work (the one designated for TSLRCM v. 1.5). This implies that they at least knew of the issue then and intended to fix it for TSLRCM v. 1.6 and up. Obviously, such is not the case. At the link below, zbyl2 says to remove k_907_mal.ncs from the override folder as a possible workaround. Stoney also suggest downloading a file and then removing a file from the override directory. I'm not sure if all these fixes are supposed to be used in conjunction, separately, or both (depending on the case) nor is it clear if anyone actually got them to work. I would imagine you would have to have a save game available before any Malachor modules load up (up to just before you leave the Ravager and save Telos) in order to properly try it out. I won't have the time to try it for at least a few days so if anyone else wants to give it a go, let us know how it turns out.

http://www.deadlystream.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48&page=2&highlight=black+screen+malachor

EDIT 2: In another place a poster had a similar problem where they actually proceeded normally to the point where they enter the Trayus academy and were then sucked into the black hole from whence there is no return. There, zbyl2 suggests removing k_907_enter.ncs from the override directory as a workaround and that person got it to work, apparently.

Edited by discipleoftheforce
Added Content

Guest Void Dweller

I'm now on M4-78 and when I go further, the game decided to show me how Darth Sion is mad at me on Malachor V, after the cutscene, where the game should be back to where I was, the black screen stays there, and if I go forward with mouse, I can hear footsteps of three of my party members, and I can walk blindly there, sadly I accomplished nothing at all by that. I desperately want to finish the game without starting over, so please, people, any clues on my case?