Sign in to follow this  
AgentTBC

Compatible widescreen mod?

I'm playing TSL for the first time since it came out back in '04, now with TSLRCM! Lots of people recommend a widescreen mod even though the HUD gets stretched. But the widescreen mod I hear works best replaces the .exe file and I'm afraid that would mess with TSLRCM.

So what's the best way to play in widescreen which won't introduce bugs and problems with the restored content mod?

Ok, so I gave it a shot. It's in widescreen! YAY.

But the conversation options at the bottom of the screen are cut off and not visible. BOO!

Oh well.

There is no proper crack of 1.0b in existence, so you end up trading the fixes for widescreen.

That's why I went back to playing it in 4:3. TSL supports 1280x768 with a .ini hack, but I prefer native resolution to ugly scaling.

That's why I went back to playing it in 4:3. TSL supports 1280x768 with a .ini hack, but I prefer native resolution to ugly scaling.

I've read that TSL supports 1280x768 by changing the .ini, but I've never actually found anyone who got that to work. It doesn't work for me, certainly. It's always "I read that 1280x768 is support natively" but never "I've gotten 1280x768 to work natively".

WTF. I tried it again after replying and it worked instantly in 1280x768, albeit with some wonkiness with buttons. I know I've tried exactly the same thing multiple times before and it didn't work. Either I'm just stupid or... well, I'll go with I'm stupid.

I just change the width and height values to 1280 and 768 under BOTH Display Options and Graphics Options, then save and exit, and it works every time.

Actually, I don't think that changing the values under Display Options makes a difference, though.

Yeah like I said I retried it and it worked. I don't get it, I know I tried before. I'm going with the "I'm stupid" theory.

Yeah like I said I retried it and it worked. I don't get it, I know I tried before. I'm going with the "I'm stupid" theory.

Hi,

I am playing Widescreen Kotor 2 with a combination of 2 mods.

You need Uniws:

https://www.wsgf.org/article/universal-widescreen-uniws-patcher

You need a mod called 16x9 hud (or 16x10 if you prefer), and full instructions in this link:

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/428048/1/

The game works fine, albeit two small details:

1) You can't launch the game in full screen. You have to start it windowed, load your game, than go full screen. Otherwise, it crashes on load.

2) Avoid ALT+TAB or anything throwing to your Windows desktop. Best case scenario, you have to do it once more to regain kb control, worst case scenario the game crashes.

Enjoy! :)

UniWS does not work with a fully patched game.

It did work for me. I just finished a game with 1.8/1.81.

Had no problem using it.

You must be using a crack, then. I've already explained that there are no cracks for KotOR 2 that have been properly patched to 1.0b.

UniWS will locate my non-cracked 1.0b swkotor2.exe, but it won't let me patch it. I can't even enter the width and height values.

Step-by-step to perfectly working widescreen (except for the videos)

1. Download Squizzy KotOR2 Resolution Patcher

2. Download either the 16x9 or the 16x10 HUDs from Here on WSGF (Widescreen Gaming Forum)

3. Extract the Squizzy KOTOR2 Resolution Patcher.rar into the KotOR2 folder, overwriting the swkotor2.exe

4. Run Squ1zZy_ResPatcher_SWKotor_2.exe, enter your resolution, and hit Patch

5. Extract mipc28x6_p.gui from the HUD .zip you downloaded into the Override folder

6. Open swkotor2.ini and set Width and Height to your new settings under ]Display Options]

7. Copy the Width and Height settings and Paste them under [Graphic Options] too

8. Set Fullscreen to 1 under both [Display Options] and [Graphic Options

9. Run KotOR2 in glorious widescreen!

As I have said TWICE in this thread now, there is no crack for KotOR 2 that has been properly patched to 1.0b.

If you use the Squizzy resolution patcher, you're playing an unpatched game.

As I have said TWICE in this thread now, there is no crack for KotOR 2 that has been properly patched to 1.0b.

If you use the Squizzy resolution patcher, you're playing an unpatched game.

Not quite true. Don't wanna get into a discussion on cracks, but you can look at ZimmMaster's thread on Lucas Forums.

Ok, I just got the game on Steam and have installed the TSLRCM mod, but I want to play the game in Widescreen (1680x1050). How do I do this?

I've looked through several posts on this site and others, but many of them seem to be a bit out of date and I don't know if their advice will work with TSLRCM and Steam.

So, how are you guys currently playing in Widescreen? If anyone here could just post me a link to explian how to do it, that would be great.

Ok, I've searched around some more and understand a lot more about the problems associated with this. I get that the explanations given on WSGF, etc, don't work because they refer to using an outdated patch exe. But there must be some way to play in 1680x1050 without causing incompatibilities, right?

Not quite true. Don't wanna get into a discussion on cracks, but you can look at ZimmMaster's thread on Lucas Forums.

Are you talking about this thread: Widescreen in Patched TSL...? Because that one doesn't seem to offer any solution to the exe issue (as far as I can work out). If there is some other thread about this that does offer a solution then please do link to it.

Alternatively, is there any way I can play the game in 4:3 format? I mean without the game being stretched out over my 16:10 screen? I just can't stand to see the aspect ratio so distorted.

Step-by-step to perfectly working widescreen (except for the videos)

1. Download Squizzy KotOR2 Resolution Patcher

2. Download either the 16x9 or the 16x10 HUDs from Here on WSGF (Widescreen Gaming Forum)

3. Extract the Squizzy KOTOR2 Resolution Patcher.rar into the KotOR2 folder, overwriting the swkotor2.exe

4. Run Squ1zZy_ResPatcher_SWKotor_2.exe, enter your resolution, and hit Patch

5. Extract mipc28x6_p.gui from the HUD .zip you downloaded into the Override folder

6. Open swkotor2.ini and set Width and Height to your new settings under ]Display Options]

7. Copy the Width and Height settings and Paste them under [Graphic Options] too

8. Set Fullscreen to 1 under both [Display Options] and [Graphic Options

9. Run KotOR2 in glorious widescreen!

It seemed to good to be true, but what we do with resoultion of 1360x768 - it looks perfect until the moment when you have to do some talking. There is just no dialog options. If you have solution to that I would be quite grateful.

It seemed to good to be true, but what we do with resoultion of 1360x768 - it looks perfect until the moment when you have to do some talking. There is just no dialog options. If you have solution to that I would be quite grateful.

While it's not perfect, 1360x768 is almost a 16:9 ratio; have you added the 16:9 HUD to the Override folder? It should still be a bit off, possibly missing the bottom dialogue option and a bit off the top of the screen, but other than that, it ought to be fine I think.

I'm don't think that that resolution is supported

It's supported under Squizzy KotOR2 Resolution patcher

Not quite true.

Yes it is. The crack you're talking about (the one that comes with the Squizzy patcher) may be marked as version 2.1, but it isn't version 2.1. It contains none of the fixes of the real file version 2.1. For example, swoop racing is still broken. This is why I stopped recommending it.

And I know all about that thread at LF. I posted in it several times.

Ok, I've searched around some more and understand a lot more about the problems associated with this. I get that the explanations given on WSGF, etc, don't work because they refer to using an outdated patch exe. But there must be some way to play in 1680x1050 without causing incompatibilities, right?

Are you talking about this thread: Widescreen in Patched TSL...? Because that one doesn't seem to offer any solution to the exe issue (as far as I can work out). If there is some other thread about this that does offer a solution then please do link to it.

Alternatively, is there any way I can play the game in 4:3 format? I mean without the game being stretched out over my 16:10 screen? I just can't stand to see the aspect ratio so distorted.

You can get the game to run in widescreen (1280x768) just by changing the values in the swkotor2.ini file. I explained how earlier in this thread. Your monitor or GPU can scale it up from there. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

Holy crap! A new solution to this problem has, um, presented itself since the introduction of the KotOR Collection on DVD.

Use UniWS and not the Squizzy patcher. I think you all can figure it out from there. And yes, it works on a patched installation from the original CDs, so I'm playing TSL in widescreen at native resolution again. W00t! ;)

I also got it to run on an Intel GPU today. I could never get the Carbon version to run on it, but this one works just fine.