I'm not planning on adding any more heads. I had originally intended to use the Republic droid head for B4-D4. I still may, nothing is finalised yet. As to that collar thing, god no, that thing looks retarded.
I'll probably move on to something else like the war and assassin droids for a while now.
It may be a tad too shiny (although I am still using the vanilla CM_Baremetal, haven't tried it with other envmaps yet.). Also I think the normal intensity of the damage needs to be toned down a bit, at least on the head. And the colour is still a bit anaemic looking.
Now that they have finally broken cover, I can say very special thanks to bead-v for KOTORmax and MDLedit, without which getting these models into the game would not be possible, and ndix UR for TGA2TPC, which allows for the creation of functional tangent space normal maps.
Got the classic style head mostly done, just need to add the neck and tweak a few things:
Edit: OK, I think that's about it. On to unwrapping, creating the high poly, and texturing.
I have released a new video for the project, a preview of the previously unseen cantina!
Nice work. I liked the nice specular highlight you managed on the stone floor on the bottom level. The collision on the rotunda seems like it could do with being reduced a bit maybe. It might be worth considering some sort of physical barrier like velvet ropes - I've always hated invisible walls around what should be navigable terrain.
I'm curious about those assassin droids. Do they ever engage in combat, or are they just for flavour? I'm wondering whether something more unique might be in order.
Just one last question do your custom module walls work? What I mean by this is in a vanilla module when you run into a wall the character will kinda keep running but slide to either the left or right. In some mods like BOSSR in the custom modules, you can run into the walls and get stuck.
Collision shouldn't be an issue with the new model tools. It should function like the vanilla models.
Added another head variant. I figured I'd primarily use it for S4-C8 in the Pazaak Den on Nar Shaddaa in TSL. For K1 I'm not sure.
Is the golden one intended to be B4-D4?
Nah, it's just a generic one. And it was more just to see how it looked. It needs some adjustment I think, maybe desaturate it a bit or otherwise tweak the colour.
I'll do a specific texture for B4-D4 with the extra black bits and Czerka logo, like his vanilla texture. I'm working on the Republic ship droid (C2-N2) head at the moment. I might give him that one (not sure whether to keep it unique).
Edit: I figured it might be good to show some actual work-in-progress in this WIP thread, so here are some updates as I progress on the new head (missing some intermediate steps at the beginning):
And last update for today:
That's an evening's work, spread over about ~6-7 hours. It's about 3/4 done I'd say, just the back section, the neck, and a few touchups to finish it off, then on to the high poly.
Edit 2: Continuing on, the back half of the head is now complete, although progress has been significantly slowed by some weird multiple BSOD issue I suddenly experienced today.
And I think it's done:
Next is UV mapping, then making a high poly, then it's on to baking and texturing.
A cursory glance suggests there is no specific tutorial for this in the tutorial section (which is kind of odd, given the entry-level nature of it). Browsing through the archive of LucasForums, even their tutorials for this were pretty lacking.
A basic overview is as follows. Heads need custom entries in heads.2da and portraits.2da (for party member and player heads), and then need to be referenced in appearance.2da. If you want an additional player option, then new rows need to be added to appearance.2da for this. If you are reusing an existing head model then you will need to hex edit it and change the name to avoid clashes with the original.
You should be able to follow the pattern of the vanilla 2DA entries to create your custom additions. For heads.2da, you specify the model name along with the Dark Side transition face textures (TSL's heads.2da also has provision for overriding the base face texture as well, which is handy). In much the same vein, portraits.2da specifies the base and DS portraits for your head. It is also the sole determinant of your player's sex, as far as I am aware. Lastly, appearance.2da specifies what body models your entity uses (as well as linking to the head ID). It requires 3 rows, for small, medium, and large body sizes (somewhat superfluous in TSL given everyone uses medium models). Typically you'd duplicate some existing entries and then just edit the appropriate values to change them to your unique ones.
And here's a before and after picture showing the changes. I forgot to mention in the previous post that part of the face changes I made addressed the eye socket size/shape/position, so the eyelids no longer clip or otherwise look odd.
He does kind of have a horse face thing going on now though. Might need to adjust the width a bit.
To install it I simply put the mdl and mdx into the Override using the name 'PMHC04', but copied the textures using their original names and that seems to do the trick. No installer necessary.
I've updated the link with a proper installer version. No need for hacky workarounds.
Edit: I made some changes/adjustments, if someone wants to test them out. Fixed the shading/smoothing issues, corrected the reversed/flipped UVs on the ears, re-jigged size/vert positions of mesh to more closely match the other male heads (this has resulted in a face structure change), skinned to male rig.