I'm currently trying to add a new model to an area, but for some reason that doesn't really work at all and I can't figure out where I'm going wrong. So I'll just tell you what I did and maybe someone can tell me where the issue comes from.
First of all I created the model in 3ds Max obviously.
Then I used KOTOR Max to create an Odyssey Base, named it 504ONDk (the intended model name), placed it at 0,0,0 and set it's type to "other". Later I also tried "effect" as that's apparently the type of the skybox in this module but that changed nothing.
Next I added the Odyssey Trimesh modifier to my model, trying both with the model being converted to an Editable Mesh and without that step, in both cases applying a "Reset X Form" before adding the modifier.
Finally I linked my mesh as a child to the base and exported the geometry only.
Then I opened the ASCII in mdledit and saved it as a binary file.
To get it ingame, I opened the .lyt and .vis file of my module (504OND) and added my model to them. In the .lyt, I added it to the room list with coordinates 0,0,0 (and later other coordinates as well) and also increased the room count by 1. In the .vis I added it to every room, once again increasing the number of adjacent/visible rooms by 1 each time. I also added itself as another room at the very end with no visible rooms, as you won't enter that room ingame and it's only background.
Then I dropped the 504ond.lyt, 504ond.vis and my 504ondk.mdl/.mdx into the Override and saw nothing. No changes at all. I thought that maybe I need to load an older save where I had not entered the module before, so I did that and still saw no changes.
As I didn't know where the problem comes from, I tried to determine whether it's in the model itself or in the .lyt/.vis by hex-editing my binary model to be 504ondc instead. I also renamed the files accordingly and dropped them into my Override. And now the model actually appeared, but only when I'm inside the (now invisible) original room 504ondc. So I tried replacing some other models and the same thing happened.
That left me somewhat confused as I've no idea what's causing this but I figured that I probably screwed something up in the process of getting my model from Max to the game. So I compared it's ASCII to the ASCII of a similar model, the skybox of the same module, namely 504ondg. There I saw that the skybox models type is "effect" which is why I tried changing that but that made no difference. I also noticed that the skybox has a walkmesh. So I copied its walkmesh over to my model, changed the supermodel and created the binary. But my model still wouldn't show up ingame. So once again, I renamed it to another model and there it was in all its glory, visible from all rooms. But now it moves sometimes when going from one room to another...
And that leaves me with the conclusion that I really don't know what I'm doing and need some help instead. Thank you very much