I also had more elaborate ideas for the long term and this is where that model limit I keep talking about comes into play. I'm not very good at 3D modeling, but I've been trying to learn, and I've thought about adding new hilts if I ever managed to make any decent ones. Maybe some modelers would be willing to donate models as well. I came up with a system for how I would implement them, given the limitations of the game's upgrade system.
- A lightsaber would be composed of five parts: crystal, hilt, energy cell, emitter matrix, and lens. Mechanically, in the standard game the crystal performs the role of both the crystal and the hilt in my system - in that whatever crystal you put into the saber determines what model it gets. That's the crux of the problem.
- The mod would add new hilt items. The workshop would let you put crystals into the hilts, or take them out, or whatever. In other words, you can change the hilt type and then proceed to upgrade it in the usual manner.
- Hilts could be found or made. For example, if you find a rancor tooth, perhaps you could make a rancor tooth hilt.
- The emitter matrix would determine the lightsaber type. There would be the standard type, which goes into all three upgradeable varieties. Then there would also be exotic ones such as dual-phase, crossguard, and curved. Depending on the models available, of course. Sabers made with exotic emitters could not be upgraded, due to the game limitations. This would possibly include the short lightsaber, if it were to be replaced by the longsaber in the upgrade system.
- The big issue here is that with 10 colors and up to 3 variations of those colors, 30 total, there can only be about 8 hilts per saber type. 12 hilts if one style is dropped, 24 if two. There's a little wiggle room but not much. I don't know what if any hilt models will be added with this mod, so I could just use all the space I want for colors, but then it wouldn't be compatible with any hilt mods.
So the point of all this is I don't know what's the best idea, what someone using the mod would actually want. I'm looking for any general input, but more specifically:
- Do people feel strongly about the short lightsaber? Either way - retaining it or replacing it with something else?
- Is the longsaber worth adding? Even if it means getting rid of something else?
- Are the new color options worth having at the expense of hilt options, or should extra room for hilts be prioritized?
I'd love to see that part implemented. I even intended to do so myself two years back but in the end I decided that using this would just be too impractical without a proper new GUI. I do think that the special hilts are only really needed for the "standard type" sabers, i.e. normal, double and short (and long, although I have to admit that I don't see the point of that one). Others, like the crossguard sabers could do with just one hilt just like in Sithspecters mod.
In any case, the most important question is this: How do you actually use these ingame if there's no GUI for it? With a dialog system? Will that work in a way that's not too annoying to use?
- jc2 likes this