Guest Crixler

Crixler's New Lightsaber Crystal Packs

48 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want me to do?

• Add more colours and make a TSL version!
    • Add more colours, but don't bother making a TSL version!
    • Forget about new colours, just make a TSL version!
    • Meh, leave it as is.

Guest Crixler

Hello.

You may or may not be familiar with my lightsaber crystals pack for KotOR I, found here.

First, a warning about that: That file is outdated and buggy, but there's a fixed version (2.1) available in the comments, or here.

See the above poll? You should totally cast your vote, and elaborate, comment, etc.

You can also post any bugs you find here.

Hopefully - for the TSL version - it will be also compatible with HOTOR and USM as well.

I'm trying to recall, does your mod have the flickering cores too?

Guest Crixler

Hopefully - for the TSL version - it will be also compatible with HOTOR and USM as well.

I'm trying to recall, does your mod have the flickering cores too?

Yes it does!

And regarding HOTOR and USM compatibility... I don't really plan on it, since I have never liked those mods personally. Not to be rude to the makers of them, there's some cool stuff in them, I just hate how a lightsaber hilt relies on it having a specific crystal. I want each colour to be able to work with each available hilt, and in order to do that, you'd need an overwhelming number of unique crystals. If someone else wants to make them compatible after I release it, they can do so, but I won't be doing it myself.

I probably will make it compatible with VP's High-poly Tin Cans mod though.

• Like 1

I probably will make it compatible with VP's High-poly Tin Cans mod though.

Yay! Let me know if there's any way I can help. Just so we're clear, these lightsaber crystal packs are for more colors right? If so, we may want to discuss some things so we can make it as awesome as possible.

Guest Crixler

Yay! Let me know if there's any way I can help. Just so we're clear, these lightsaber crystal packs are for more colors right? If so, we may want to discuss some things so we can make it as awesome as possible.

Yes, they add more colours. The current KotOR I version adds the additional colours from TSL (including bronze, which is distinct from orange, which is additionally distinct from Heart of the Guardian. Mantle and cyan are different, as well), additionally adding black and white, improved the textures for the colours, and makes them flicker.

I've got a few other textures I've come up with, and I'll probably post some screenshots of them soon for opinions and stuff.

Actually, I had already posted about it on lucasforums once. Didn't receive very good reception there, but I'll just copy my post from there here 'cause I'm lazy.

It's been a while since I've modded KotOR, so I'll have to re-figure some things out.

But I've been sick lately, so I think I've got time to do this. Assuming I can stop playing Age of Empires: Online for long enough...

Guest Crixler

Okay, I'll be breaking this message into a few posts, since there seems to be an image limit.

My first saber pack may have just been released very recently, and an updated version just earlier today, but I'm already working on my second one!

This time, I'd like some opinions on some of the new sabers.

Let's start off with some silvery colors, inspired by viridian.

Silvery Blue (a better name would be nice. suggestions?), compared with regular blue:

top-silverbluebottom-blue.jpg

Silvery Blue compared with silver:

t-silvblueb-silv.jpg

Silvery Yellow (again, name suggestions?), compared with regular yellow:

t-silvyellowb-yellow.jpg

Silvery Purple (name again?), next to purple:

top-silverpurplebottom-purple.jpg

And Silvery Red, next to red:

top-silverredbottom-red.jpg

I'm fairly pleased with all of these, personally.

Now, on to the brighter colors!

A new color called Cerulean, which uses Shem's alternate blue texture, compared with Mantle of the Force (Mantle is actually on top this time, the new one's on the bottom):

top-mantlebottom-cerulean.jpg

This one I'm calling Indigo, I think I used Shem's alternate purple texture, or I may have made a new one, I can't recall. Anyway, it's on top, with purple on the bottom:

top-indigobottom-purple.jpg

Another purple varient, here's Magenta on top, with purple on the bottom:

top-magentabottom-purple.jpg

I also made a silvery varient of Magenta, that I'm currently calling Pink, although it's not quite as "pink" as I had expected (purple's on the bottom again):

t-pinkb-purp.jpg

Guest Crixler
Now for the one's I'm thinking I will probably omit...

First up is Amber, which ended up looking almost exactly like yellow! Amber's on top, yellow's below:

top-amberb-yellow.jpg

Up next is Lime Green, which is barely distinguishable from regular green. Lime's on top:

top-limebottom-green.jpg

And last of this group is something that was spawned when I asked my brother to make one... I call it Puke. It's being compared to yellow, which is on the bottom:

top-pukebottom-yellow.jpg

And the last crystal I have to show you isn't exactly a crystal. In Star Wars Galaxies, you are able to use a Krayt Dragon pearl as a color crystal, and it has some power crystal aspects to it as well. It has a "pearly white" color to the blade. It's been far too long since I've played that game, and I can't remember exactly how it looks, and I couldn't find any pictures on google, but here's my best guess:

t-kraytb-silv.jpg

That's silver on the bottom.

I'm not sure if I'm going to finish this one. I would think it should be possible to do, just make it so the pearl works similar to Heart of the Guardian or Mantle of the Force, so it modifies all the other crystals. Then I guess I would have to make it so you can't use it as a regular power crystal anymore. I like the idea, but it sounds complicated. If there's enough interest, however, I could give it shot.

So anyway, what's everyone's thoughts on the new colors? The pearl? Did I miss anyone's favorite color? Etc.

- Crixler

Edit:

I tweaked the Amber and Lime textures a bit. I'm now content with the Amber color, but the Lime still seems to close to green. I'm afraid to add too much more yellow because then it could end up looking too similar to Bastila's. But here are the new screenshots:

Amber2 on top, yellow on bottom:

t-amber2b-yellow.jpg

Lime2 on top, green on bottom:

t-lime2b-green.jpg

Also, I've come up with some possible names for some of the new colors:

Silvery Blue - Glaucous

Silvery Purple - Mauve

Silvery Red - Puce

Silvery Yellow - Icterine

Lime Green - Harlequin

Puke - Aureolin

Some of these sound rather exotic, but since the inspiration for the colors of the silvery ones was viridian, I decided to take inspiration from it's name as well.

Since then, I've figured a better name for lime green would be Chartreuse. I just don't want to call it lime green. Do they even have limes in that galaxy?

What are people's thoughts on these colours? Did I miss anything?

These look great, I'm definitely downloading it once it's finished!

I also think you should make it compatible with VP's hilt mod, as I think any crystal and any hilt can go together with any person who wields it.

Guest Mablus25

I love the Lightsabers yea made for Kotor 1 also can't wait till you make a mod for TSL also which will be comaptiable for Hotor 1.6, USM, Corusant and other mods.

Guest Crixler

As I said earlier, I don't intend to make it compatible with HotOR or USM. Sorry.

I don't know for sure what all's included in the Coruscant mod, but I don't see why it couldn't be compatible.

Guest Crixler

Okay, so here's an update.

I'm currently looking at having 26 to 36 different colours in this mod.

I'm hoping to have it compatible with the High Poly Tin Cans mod.

Maybe even require it.

I have all the blade textures made, but I haven't done any of the rest of the work yet.

Several of the colours have been altered since the last screenshots.

Info on the different blade colours:

Basically, I have these divided into a few different "sets".

Basic Set - A set of bright, standard colours based on the colours of the rainbow, the colours of the RGB system, and some others, plus bronze.

Red

Green

Blue

Cyan

Magenta

Yellow

Purple

Orange

Indigo

Yellow-green (Bastila's colour from the KotOR version. It needs a better name, any ideas?)

Bronze

Silvery Set - Inspired by Viridian, has less saturated versions of the Basic Set (in the same order).

Puce

Viridian

Glaucous

(Silvery Cyan - Needs a name. Ideas?)

Pink

Icterine

Mauve

(Silvery Orange - Name?)

(Silvery Indigo - Name?)

(Silvery "Bastila" - Name?)

(Silvery Bronze - Name?)

Special Set - Those that do not fit in either other set.

Black

White

Silver

Heart of the Guardian (Will not be obtainable without cheats)

Mantle of the Force (Will not be obtainable without cheats)

Krayt Dragon Pearl

Additional Possibilities - Colours that may or may not be included, due to possibly being too close to other colours.

Amber

Cerulean

Dark Blue

Another shade of purple

The silvery version of that other shade of purple

Lime green

A teal-ish colour

A colour that is a bit more yellow than the Bastila colour (based on Ahsoka's (or however it's spelled) short saber in The Clone Wars)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've also got a grand idea for a future version of this that is very ambitious.

In this potential version, each of these 30-ish colours would have their own set of hilts.

Example:

A blue crystal would have 3 possible hilts, one of each type.

These hilts would ideally bear at least a slight resemblance to eachother.

These would be the only hilts you could get with a blue crystal, and the only way to get them would be with a blue crystal.

This same concept would apply to each colour.

Additionally, various NPCs would get their own unique non-lootable hilts.

If that character has a canon hilt design, they should be given that hilt.

No movie hilts, and no hilts designed for specific party members.

Obviously, this would require many hilt models, and I'm not much of a modeler.

This crazy version of the mod will probably never see the light of day, really.

But if there are any bold hilt makers out there who would like to donate some hilts or something, it may be possible.

Or if this idea doesn't prove popular enough and never works out, or if it does and you simply would rather use the other version... There will always be the other version.

Guest Crixler

I've started to do some of the .2da work now, and the default upcrystals.2da is a mess! The colours aren't organized in any particular way. And the row numbers don't match the uti numbers. And there are gaps and other anomalies in the uti names and numbers. It's terrible.

I'm thinking I'll renumber all of these to a way that actually makes some sense. But I'm not sure what kind of effect this could maybe have on other things. Will doing that screw up NPC inventories and other such things? I suppose all of that could probably be fixed though, right? But I imagine it would also reduce compatibility with things.

Arg. I really want to clean this up.

I also still need ideas for some colour names.

Help would be much appreciated!

Some have noted that bronze isn't a crystal. Either is silver. Pearl isn't one either. Crixler, why not just use common (and rare) gemstones for your various crystals that need names?

Another shade of purple - Amethyst

The silvery version of that other shade of purple - Tanzanite

Lime green - Peridot

A colour that is a bit more yellow than the Bastila colour (based on Ahsoka's short saber) - Topaz

Dark Blue - Sapphire

A teal-ish colour - Indicolite

Silvery Orange - Fire Opal

Silvery Indigo - Iolite (or Labradorite)

Silvery "Bastila" - Citrine

Silvery Bronze - Carnelian (or Spessartine)

You might want to check Google images to see if the real life stones match what you had in mind. (Such pictures might also help you create the icons that you'll inevitably have to create for these.)

Off topic - Interesting trivia I learned today: Silver and bronze mixed together apparently is pewter. I like my alternative for a new orange color better. (Feel free to rename Bronze while you're at it! LOL)

Of course, you can spice up the names by assigning them locations combined with the gemstone name. For example: "Glass" doesn't sound as impressive as - say - Mandalorian Quartz. It'll also help you write up the descriptions when viewed in the inventory as well.

Guest Crixler

Some have noted that bronze isn't a crystal. Either is silver. Pearl isn't one either. Crixler, why not just use common (and rare) gemstones for your various crystals that need names?

Another shade of purple - Amethyst

The silvery version of that other shade of purple - Tanzanite

Lime green - Peridot

A colour that is a bit more yellow than the Bastila colour (based on Ahsoka's short saber) - Topaz

Dark Blue - Sapphire

A teal-ish colour - Indicolite

Silvery Orange - Fire Opal

Silvery Indigo - Iolite (or Labradorite)

Silvery "Bastila" - Citrine

Silvery Bronze - Carnelian (or Spessartine)

You might want to check Google images to see if the real life stones match what you had in mind. (Such pictures might also help you create the icons that you'll inevitably have to create for these.)

Off topic - Interesting trivia I learned today: Silver and bronze mixed together apparently is pewter. I like my alternative for a new orange color better. (Feel free to rename Bronze while you're at it! LOL)

Of course, you can spice up the names by assigning them locations combined with the gemstone name. For example: "Glass" doesn't sound as impressive as - say - Mandalorian Quartz. It'll also help you write up the descriptions when viewed in the inventory as well.

Awesome, thanks!

I'll have to check to see how well those match what I've got, but I'm sure at least most of those should probably work.

I'll have screenshots up in just a bit, as well.

Guest Crixler

StandardSet.png

This is the standard set!

They are:

Red, Green and Blue on top, Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow right below those. To the side, from top to bottom are Purple, Orange, Indigo, "Bastila", and Bronze.

The Background image was my attempt at humour. It's actually full-wallpaper size, too.

Although I do love Pokemon as well, and made that wallpaper myself... If you happen to like that, you can find more on my deviantart page, where I also go by Crixler. But that's off-topic!

I'll work on the Silvery Set preview tomorrow.

Edit:

You may or may not have noticed I'm still using the default low-poly hilts. I haven't gotten around to installing the better ones yet, but I will be doing so before I actually start implementing these.

I haven't implemented any of them yet, all I did to take these screenshots was rename the textures to the default ones and just kept replacing them until I got them all done.

I also really like how Indigo came out... It has a very black light look to it.

I'd maybe make Bastila's saber a bit more yellowish. Also, make yellow a bit more vibrant, seems rather pale when compared to the others.

Lastly, maybe bronze should be in the silvery set?

Guest Crixler

I'd maybe make Bastila's saber a bit more yellowish. Also, make yellow a bit more vibrant, seems rather pale when compared to the others.

Lastly, maybe bronze should be in the silvery set?

Regarding Bastila's colour, there IS the Ahsoka colour I also made, which is very similar, but more yellow. When I get around to posting screenshots of those ones, maybe that's more what you're thinking I should replace it with?

Yellow: Hmm, I suppose I can kinda see what you're saying. I'll look into it.

And bronze was originally in the silvery set, but the colour ideas you sent me included one that was like bronze, but even paler yet. I liked it, so I made bronze a standard colour instead. It was originally my silvery orange colour, even though they weren't actually the same hue or anything. Take a look at the silvery set once that's up and let me know if you still feel this way.

@Sith Holocron: Yeah, that would probably be a good idea. I'll include that in the silvery one and beyond, and update this one when I do so.

Guest Crixler

CrixlersCrystals-a-StandardSet.jpg

CrixlersCrystals-b-SilverySet.jpg

CrixlersCrystals-c-SpecialSet.jpg

I've got names for all of these now!

And here are the "Additional Possibilities", many of which I haven't bothered naming yet.

CrixlersCrystals-d-AdditionalPossibilities.jpg

In case you're for whatever interested in a label-less version of the Silvery, Special, or Additional Set wallpapers: Silvery - No Labels, Special - No Labels, & Additional - No Labels

Good names? Good colours?

What does everyone think of the Additional Possibilities?

Edit: Added Special Set.

I've decided that yellow is indeed too pale. I will brighten that up.

Edit 2: Additional Possibilities added.

Edit 3: Brightened yellow a bit. Didn't take a screenshot though. Also, something that probably wasn't the smartest thing to do that I did: halfway through taking the screenshots, I realized my ingame brightness was a bit too high, so I lowered it. That might be part of why yellow looks so pale in the screenshot. So they're not perfectly accurate screenshots, I guess. But they're fairly close.

Silvery Dark Purple looks nice. Looks kind of like Lilac, although that doesn't sound very lightsabre-y.

Guest Crixler

AdditionalComparison.png

Well, as you can see here, silvery dark purple looks very similar to mauve. This comparison picture doesn't show every colour, just the ones I felt relevant for comparison purposes.

Also, the colours aren't necessarily final. The scope of this mod has expanded past just more colours, and It's become more of a collaboration. One thing that's been going on is VP going through my colours and possibly tweaking them some more.

Guest Dark_Ansem

I like the new shades, especially Ashoka's.

Guest Crixler

None yet. We've got a lot of the resources ready for this, but a few are still in the works, and then it's all got to be put together. I'm going to be busy for a while, but once I find the time, and once my collaborators have finished with their parts, I'll get it all finished up.

Guest Muspelli

I'm really liking the choice this will give players. I've been thinking of how I could personalize each lightsaber for each Jedi character in both the first game and the second one (assuming this is going to be done for both), and this will certainly help with it. Looking forward to it!

I wonder though, are you willing to take requests for additional colours or no? If you are, would a somewhat dark brown be a problem?