Sign in to follow this  
VarsityPuppet

A few WIP heads.

In my spare time between Malachor VI, I like to work on some of my other smaller mods, just to keep things fresh. I've been dabbling in custom head-making recently, and I'd like to show you what sort of goodness I've been cooking up recently.

K2 Bastila

Ever since I discovered the 'doable' method of meshing models together, I've been meaning to find some practical use for it. Armored robes weren't my thing, and most of the tests I'd done recently weren't that great either. I decided to put some robes on Bastila to give her a much needed make-over for TSL. And here are those results.

Bastila1

Bastila2

Bastila3

What originally inspired me to do this actually was a new hairstyle for Bastila. There is already a mod that does this, but I wanted to try something different. As it turned out, giving Bastila Tae Plae's haircut was riddled with many obstacles, but I got it to work finally, something I'm quite proud of.

I'm still contemplating how to install this - should I overwrite the old Bastila appearance or should I simply add this as a new one? My plans for using this generally involved Bastila being in the Telos Carth cutscene (for full body and head) or maybe just the head for the holocron on Korriban and in T3's holorecords.

Layne Staley

Back in my beginning modding days, I wanted to make heads that resembled people I admired. I realized very soon that I couldn't do this by reskinning, so I set out to learn to model heads. I tried with numerous people, but I have to say that this is the most successful by far.

For those who don't know, Layne Staley was the frontman for 1990's rock band, Alice in Chains. He's regarded with having one of the best voices in rock. Unfortunately, like many rockstars, he was terribly addicted to drugs, and you could tell he was slowly dying over the years. On April 20th, 2002, (my 12th birthday) he was discovered dead in his home.

This is my attempt to honor his likeness, and with my birthday/his death anniversary coming up, it only seemed right.

Layne1

Layne2

Layne3

Layne4

• Like 2

That bastila head is meh, but the stanley head is greatness. :thumbup:

*Staley and thank you.

No. :wallbash:

Thus, one of the best, not THE best.

What is the "doable" method of meshing models?

By doable I mean that I understand basically how to mesh models (before my tutorial it even more rare of a feat). Looking back, it's not the greatest tutorial. It could use some better explanations and I've learned quite a bit since then.

Another Way to Mesh Bodies

At any rate, a few updates:

Layne Staley 2.0

As many of you might have noticed, I released the Layne Staley head, but I realized how much the UVMap is messed up on the head. So I went to great lengths to reconstruct his hair and I think the result was way better than the old version. I also was lazy and didn't bother to include sunglasses, so you guys might like this new version better.

gbYPj.jpg

qthrV.jpg

Visas Unmasked

I've had the head model constructed for awhile, just patiently waiting for RedRob to finish up the skins. He did give me a 'preview' skin to see how it all looked and I have to say I'm liking where he's going with it. I'm thinking that making Visas' headdress an equipable item would be a cool addition to this mod.

JqcGr.jpg

9vTp0.jpg

I also said I'd try my hand at a Kurt Cobain head, but my attempts have been... less than successful. Part of the struggle is finding a hairstyle that I can make with existing dangly hair or just have it be solid hair (partly why I chose the slicked back hair for Layne Staley versus say his dreadlocks, or his short/curly hair phase). Any ideas you guys have to offer would be nice.

• Like 1

Awesome Staley head.

I'll check back when you've finished Weiland's and Cornell's heads ;)

Actually, I'd be inclined to make head models after the holy trinity of grunge.

Layne Staley, Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder... and of course Kurt Cobain. Problem is that I'd have to give them all short haircuts or something because Kotor doesn't take too kindly to long hair models - at least not as long as Cornell or Vedder hair. I could at least do Chris Cornell when he was in Audioslave cuz he had short hair then. Vedder is almost a lost cause though and Kurt Cobain is going to be fairly hard.

Chris Cornell

A fairly quick head that turned out nicely I think. Part of me thinks it still looks too much like Carth though.

zPjUj.jpg

• Like 3

Guest Mablus25

Does not look like Carth that much but it must be is evil twin:P Anyways awsome model and keep it up VP

Perhaps you'll try your hands at Twi'leks next? Although I've seen reskins both great and shoddy for Twi'leks, it's unfortunate that there's only one body model for each gender. (I don't count Mission as she's a unique character.) Even altering the lekku (head tails) might be great for a start but some alteration in the mesh around the face would be a welcome change!

(I bet that Redrob41 and Logan23 would like to see something like that for Revenge of Revan too!)

• Like 1

Agreed. Twi'lek's could use a serious re-hauling...

Perhaps you'll try your hands at Twi'leks next? Although I've seen reskins both great and shoddy for Twi'leks, it's unfortunate that there's only one body model for each gender. (I don't count Mission as she's a unique character.) Even altering the lekku (head tails) might be great for a start but some alteration in the mesh around the face would be a welcome change!

(I bet that Redrob41 and Logan23 would like to see something like that for Revenge of Revan too!)

I've tried like mad to re-model Twi'lek heads, with nothing working. Mostly, I've tried to add mask and goggle hooks, but that's always failed.

For K1, I tried changing the female lekku, but I might have messed up because of the bones. I tried re-modelling Mission's head to look older (especially because that head model has mask and goggle hooks). That worked, but the uvw map and textures didn't work so well for Dark Side transitions, because the tip of her lekku is mapped to her body model (the bicep IIRC).

For TSL, I tried changing the Male's neck and throat, so that he didn't have that big sac, and instead looked younger (like Shado Vao). For some reason that I can't figure out, the Twi'lek male head model just does NOT want to work with Taina's replacer. I've tried dozens of times, but it always crashed.

This sounds like a job for VP

If you think that you can figure out how to convert it to binary without crashing, I can send you the modified male Twi'lek head ascii model when I get home from work.

BTW, what do you think of the Visas textues I sent last week? If the eye craters aren't ragged enough, let me know and I'll add more to it.

I just did a direct port of Mission's head from K1 into K2 - and it totally worked, so why don't you send me that male twi'lek head and we'll see what can be done with 'em.

The Visas skins - The darkside skins are really great, and they look quite good on Visas.

One request though - if you could add the 'scar tissue' to the eye sockets, I think that would look really good. If you remember from the other duplicate thread at Holowan, someone posted that Nihilus had torn the skin from her eye sockets, which would leave visible scarring when the skin healed/grew back.

So if you could add the scars to each of the skins that would be cool - for the lightside, it should be a healed scar that still looks a little ugly - and as it progresses toward the darkside, the scar should get uglier and maybe start to fester. I can send you the model with the updated UVmap if that would help. Not now though, it's really late for me and I should have been sleeping an hour ago, lol

One request though - if you could add the 'scar tissue' to the eye sockets, I think that would look really good. If you remember from the other duplicate thread at Holowan, someone posted that Nihilus had torn the skin from her eye sockets, which would leave visible scarring when the skin healed/grew back.

So if you could add the scars to each of the skins that would be cool - for the lightside, it should be a healed scar that still looks a little ugly - and as it progresses toward the darkside, the scar should get uglier and maybe start to fester. I can send you the model with the updated UVmap if that would help. Not now though, it's really late for me and I should have been sleeping an hour ago, lol

I wasn't sure if I was being too conservative with my first try :P

So, I'm trying to figure out how to do the scars. The default DS skins have 'healed over' scars that look kinda like stretch marks all over the face. I haven't been able to find any reference photos for actual scars around the eye sockets. I imagine that it is a touchy subject for people with those types of eye injuries, so pics don't get posted.

Should I do something like Sion's eye scars (but smaller area)? I wouldn't make them quite as "craggy" as those mountains and valleys that Sion has :lol: . Or maybe something like Niuhaka's Wound in the Force mod?

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Wound_in_the_Force;89578

I wouldn't want to make them look like black, cavernous holes either. If she did have holes there, you'd be able to see her skull (or even her brain :X).

Guest Revan39

I love your head models, they're amazing!

I can't wait for your next work...in progress.

You're one of the best modders I know. :hot:

WOAH that Chris Cornell head is spot on. I'm covering his James Bond theme in a cabaret show next month. :)

WOAH that Chris Cornell head is spot on. I'm covering his James Bond theme in a cabaret show next month. :)

Cover "Say Hello 2 Heaven" and I'll love you forever :)

On 10/14/2021 at 6:30 AM, orgrafrog29 said:

Where can we download the chris cornell mod?

Since this is a WIP thread for VarsityPuppet and the Chris Cornell head was posted by VarsityPuppet in this WIP thread, it can be a safe bet that Chris Cornell's head would be uploaded by VarsityPuppet.

But since Chris Cornell's head hasn't yet been uploaded, a more appropriate question would be to ask @VarsityPuppet if he has any intention of uploading the Chris Cornell head.

• Like 1