Sign in to follow this  
Sith Holocron

Who are the best skinners of environments in KotOR2?

I'm trying to gauge interest of our readers of who they think are the best environmental skinners that are currently active in the community.  When I say skinners, I'm not talking about folks that exclusively do textures for either technical readouts (monitors and the like) or NPC skinning.  In this particular case, I'm leaning more towards an expertise in walls, floors, and rock faces.

After a list is assembled, I'll likely reach out folks that are both active and not working on a project.  There's a mod that I have in mind that may benefit from some polish.  (I'll not reveal that mod in this thread as I don't want to possibly offend the maker of the mod I'm privately musing about.)

But enough of my yammering on, who do you folks think are the good active skinners out there?

Guest Sam Fisher

Controversial opinion; XarWars is great at making textures for walls, floors, industrial environments. What he's not so good at, is the organisation of the textures he makes. 

Take a look at his Peragus OTE reskin, it's the best one around; aside from a couple of strange choices. I'd even argue concerning walls and signs his Telos OTE outdoes even Jorak Uln's work- in terms of being faithful to the original look of the station. I personally have myself installed a mix of both, the best of both worlds if you will in terms of Telos. Jorak's an obvious choice but I don't know how available he is. 

Curtis1973 also does some good work, particularly when it comes to making areas of the game look like the original, like XarWars but doesn't as often make the textures too busy looking which XarWars is guilty of.

To be fair to XarWars though, particularly concerning TSL- Obsidian's texture placement- is... certainly less than ideal.

When he's active, Jorak is second to none in both texture quality and fidelity.

The only issues I've run into stem from his use of a different format which the converting to TGA takes a bit of getting used to.

• Like 1

Guest Sam Fisher

When he's active, Jorak is second to none in both texture quality and fidelity.

The only issues I've run into stem from his use of a different format which the converting to TGA takes a bit of getting used to.

I've used Jorak's mods for a while and tbh- half the time for the textures to display correctly (To get the same result as using XNView) all you had to do is flip the textures vertically and volia. 

In short his methods using XNView I find to be unnecessarily complicated. 

I was hoping for more responses to my question but I guess what I've received so far will have to do for now.  I've sent out emails to some skinners in PMs.  If anything ever comes of it, I'll point this thread to any resulting work. 

I'm still keeping this thread open though . . .  just in case other suggestions come in. 

Sorry about the vague "cloak and dagger secrecy" about this, folks.  It's a pain when you're trying to keep a surprise sometimes.

Have some in mind when it comes to KotOR1, such as multiple and Curtis1973; they fit my taste. As not yet play KotOR2 & never used any of the texture, I don't think I have any references then  :(

• Like 1

Have some in mind when it comes to KotOR1, such as multiple and Curtis1973; they fit my taste.

Who's "multiple"? Do you have a link?

Yes, I have the link & If I am not mistaken, the name is really "multiple" [it is written that way though].

Here's the link to the profile page [i don't see any of multiple's work here on DS so It leave me no choice than to provide you the external link]: https://www.nexusmods.com/kotor/users/3919365?tab=about+me

There'll always be a special place in my heart for Xedii / Xarwarz but there's a reason Jorak Uln has the most amount of downloads on this website hahahhaa.... Next level reskinning!!

• Like 2

Thanks guys for your support - I'm glad you like my textures!

Allow me to introduce another name on the list:

Cache71.

She did a wonderful job on (the still unreleased overhaul for) K1 and is surely an alternative as well.

• Like 4