Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sam Fisher

Just Talk

Guest Sam Fisher

Topic, for exactly that. Because I couldn't find anywhere else to post this;

You know what I hate? K2 is a game I love dearly and do mean love, but I can hardly play it anymore without thinking about all the improvements that need to be made to it anymore, I just wish that stuff like the notoriously lazy NPC reuse, bad texture applications etc Could all be fixed, just so I could play the game without thinking about how it's broken. 

Still, 2018 and K1 & K2 are still broken and I hate playing through the game and fixing them piece by piece all on my own/ rant over.

Yeah, there are a few mods that diversify the NPC reuse.

TSL NPC overhaul comes to mind. 

Nexusmods has a k1 NPC HQ texture mod by Curtis1989.

There's a few mods that help handle this problem, but personally, this never bothered me. I found it humorous when I first encountered it and quickly came to feel nostalgic about it. 

Topic, for exactly that. Because I couldn't find anywhere else to post this;

You know what I hate? K2 is a game I love dearly and do mean love, but I can hardly play it anymore without thinking about all the improvements that need to be made to it anymore, I just wish that stuff like the notoriously lazy NPC reuse, bad texture applications etc Could all be fixed, just so I could play the game without thinking about how it's broken. 

Still, 2018 and K1 & K2 are still broken and I hate playing through the game and fixing them piece by piece all on my own/ rant over.

I've done a lot of texturing in the past few years and i know how abysmal the texturing choices in TSL are.

Obsidian just clustered the same textures over at places where they don't even make sense - out of pure laziness.

Luckily, there is an antidote against this - hex editing.

I'm planning to do a last big tex overhaul for TSL and am using this technique to getting rid of those which is tedious sometimes but effective.

Another pain in the ass is that TSL Steam version - it doesn't support cubemaps currently.

Almost all shiny/glowing surfaces are not supported and that takes away a huge chunk of visual fidelity.

I can only encourage you to use anything but the Steam version.

To fix the texturing for you, you might want to take a look at my new TSL overhaul once its done, probably Q3-Q4 2018.

• Like 4

Guest Sam Fisher

I've done a lot of texturing in the past few years and i know how abysmal the texturing choices in TSL are.

Obsidian just clustered the same textures over at places where they don't even make sense - out of pure laziness.

Luckily, there is an antidote against this - hex editing.

I'm planning to do a last big tex overhaul for TSL and am using this technique to getting rid of those which is tedious sometimes but effective.

Another pain in the ass is that TSL Steam version - it doesn't support cubemaps currently.

Almost all shiny/glowing surfaces are not supported and that takes away a huge chunk of visual fidelity.

I can only encourage you to use anything but the Steam version.

To fix the texturing for you, you might want to take a look at my new TSL overhaul once its done, probably Q3-Q4 2018.

Sounds great, and agreed I don't use the Steam version due to the amount of stuff it broke. 

I'm hardly alien to broken PC stuff, Double Agent is my favourite Splinter Cell engagement I participated in.