FF97

How I managed to create rgb bump maps

Well, I finally found out how to create rgb bump maps (without making the game crash).

Here is the way you can do it:

1. Create your RGB normal map or bump map in Gimp

2. Go to image and mode and then select the option called 'indexed' instead of the native option called 'rgb'.

I'll post some screenshots too.

• Like 1

Great job, friend! I don't mean to be stickler, but could you post some videos? I feel it's a little hard to see the bump mapping effect through pictures.

God bless :)

Can you recommend me some good video capturing porgrams?

Can you recommend me some good video capturing porgrams?

Most people use Fraps or Bandicam. Although if you have Windows 10, I believe you can use the built-in one (Win + Alt + R). I have a built-in Nvidia one included with my laptop that I use.

Another option is OBS (https://obsproject.com/) which a lot of people use for streaming, but I think it also has recording capabilites

So, you might want to check out this thread: http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/1726-bump-mapping-research/?hl=bumpmap

Also, through some extensive research, DarthParametric and I have found that the indexed color bumpmaps are really the same as grayscale/black & white TGA bumpmaps (the way they will be parsed/handled by the game). Which is still nice, it's nice to have bumpmaps on systems that support them. You're just not getting what you might be thinking of if you have access to actual normal maps.

If you want a true full-color tangent-space normal map like the ones the game uses, you just need to convert your 24 or 32-bit TGA to a TPC file containing the appropriate 'isbumpmap 1' TXI value. The vanilla ones used by the game are uncompressed TPC files, but that is not a requirement.

• Like 1

The model itself also needs to be edited to enable it. You can do this interactively in MDLEdit, or by recompiling an ASCII in the latest version of MDLOps with the

tangentspace 1
flag for any mesh the normal map is applied to.

Additionally, the diffuse texture needs a TXI with the addition of

bumpmaptexture XYZ
where XYZ is the name of the normal map.

Alternatively, to use an envmap in conjuction with a normal map, your diffuse needs these TXI semantics (substitute your envmap of choice):

bumpyshinytexture CM_baremetal

bumpmaptexture XYZ
with the caveat that the alpha channel now controls both the envmap and normal map distribution/intensity. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to utilise both independently.

You may wish to also experiment with some of the following TXI semantics for the normal map:

isdiffusebumpmap 1

isspecularbumpmap 1

bumpmapscaling 3
The first two values are boolean (0 or 1 for false/true). The last entry appears to be an intensity scaler, and seems to accept integer values of at least up to 3, although I am not sure of what the engine's limits are.
  • Like 2