Ninko

I have questions about files in the Streamsounds folder . . .

I have been trying to listen to certain .wav files in TSL's Game Directory under StreamSounds, but all of them seem to be impossible to open in any program, I have been looking around the internet for a fix for about 3 hours now, and still nothing, so I have come here to see if anyone could help. I have tried Audacity to open the files, but when I open one of the files in Audacity it comes up with the attachment

::

Can anyone help me to open these files, I have a good idea that someone on this site should know how to get around this!

Thanks..!

Admin: If you want to know about the Streamsound dialogue/creature sound effects and how to listen/save them as a file, go to this post. However, if you're only here to figure out how to get the soundtrack, go to this post.

• Like 1

The program used to listen to those files was called Miles Sound Studio.  This tutorial - though originally made for creating your own TSL soundtrack - can also be used to decompress the voice files as well.

Edit: the link to Miles Sound Tools is no longer functional. However, you can request in this thread at LucasForums and someone may be able to send you a link.

The program used to listen to those files was called Miles Sound Studio.  This tutorial - though originally made for creating your own TSL soundtrack - can also be used to decompress the voice files as well.

Edit: the link to Miles Sound Tools is no longer functional. However, you can request in this thread at LucasForums and someone may be able to send you a link.

Thanks for the help, I will try my best to get it to work.

Edit: I found the installer, installed Miles Sound Tools, but when I choose a file, it goes back to Miles Sound Tools, then it crashes! Not too sure what to do now..

• Like 1

OK, can't get Miles to work? Let's go to plan B...

You can rename the files (you should create a backup first) from .wav to .mp3 and then you can open them with sound program like Goldwave or Audacity.

OK, can't get Miles to work? Let's go to plan B...

You can rename the files (you should create a backup first) from .wav to .mp3 and then you can open them with sound program like Goldwave or Audacity.

How exactly do I rename them with as the file type .mp3? The only way that I have figured out doesn't work..

• Like 1

How exactly do I rename them with as the file type .mp3? The only way that I have figured out doesn't work..

What exactly did you do? Provide screenshots, if necessary.

What exactly did you do? Provide screenshots, if necessary.

Edit: All I did was open the file in Notepad++. Clicked File, Save as. Then I changed the file type to "All Files." After that I changed the name from TEST TSL STREAMSOUNDS FILE.wav, to, TEST TSL STREAMSOUNDS FILE.mp3..

That changed the file type, but even if I open it in something like Audacity or Miles Sound Tools, it has no sound and runs for less than 0.08 seconds..! Not sure what to do! Plan C??

• Like 1

I suggest to do the same but with Audacity instead. Notepad++ will only change the name the computer reads it as. They will have to be converted via MP3 compression.

All I did was open the file in Notepad++. Clicked File, Save as. Then I changed the file type to "All Files." After that I changed the name from TEST TSL STREAMSOUNDS FILE.wav, to, TEST TSL STREAMSOUNDS FILE.mp3..

That changed the file type, but even if I open it in something like Audacity or Miles Sound Tools, it has no sound and runs for less than 0.08 seconds..! Not sure what to do! Plan C??

In a word: no.

To explain with a little more detail: Do not save it as a new file inside another sound program or in Notepad.

Here's what you do: Copy a sound file to an other folder, one that you haven't fooled with before. For this example, save it to your "My Documents" folder. Make sure you can see the file's FULL file name - listing it's file extension, which for this would be WAV. Change the extension in Windows Explorer to MP3. After you do that, only then should you open it in Goldwave or Audacity. Check that you can hear the file.

Let us know how that goes.

Okay, here's the skinny.

The method you mentioned does work, but it works for me without having to use Windows Explorer explicitly.

All I did was copy the file onto any of my folders and renamed it to .mp3 in that folder. The file then can ONLY BE OPENED with Audacity.

After I exported it as an mp3 filetype using Audacity, it ran on any other program including Windows Media Player and VLC.

If this doesn't work, a plan B for all sounds from the Stream Sound folder, is that they can be extracted with the KotorTool in working condition.

<I honestly had no idea it was this easy>

• Thanks 1

Okay, here's the skinny.

The method you mentioned does work, but it works for me without having to use Windows Explorer explicitly.

All I did was copy the file onto any of my folders and renamed it to .mp3 in that folder. The file then can ONLY BE OPENED with Audacity.

After I exported it as an mp3 filetype using Audacity, it ran on any other program including Windows Media Player and VLC.

If this doesn't work, a plan B for all sounds from the Stream Sound folder, is that they can be extracted with the KotorTool in working condition.

<I honestly had no idea it was this easy>

Thank you very much!!! Plan B worked for the StreamSounds folder, but I need to listen to a couple of the voice files now..

How am I supposed to rename the files to .mp3 in a different folder? When ever I try to rename to .mp3, it comes up as (NAME).mp3.wav...

.wav is still the file type

• Like 1

With Audacity. Go to File then Export as MP3; after which it asks for the location to save to and you choose a different location since it will have the same name. You can also listen to them if you export them as .WAV as well.

With Audacity. Go to File then Export as MP3; after which it asks for the location to save to and you choose a different location since it will have the same name. You can also listen to them if you export them as .WAV as well.

For me there is only no problem with that, when I open one of the files in Audacity, for example.. 702SION001.wav... It shows nothing at all, but it still comes up saying that is has uploaded, but there is nothing to do with the sound there, it just doesn't come up. If I export it as .mp3 then open it in Miles Sound Tools or Audacity it comes up as, unrecognisable file type... No luck with StreamVoice yet.. :/

EDIT: I found out how to rename the file extension, but changing it to mp3 from wav does nothing and the files still don't work in Audacity or Miles...

• Like 1

Okay.  First, did you copy them out of the Stream Sounds/Voices/Music folder before changing the filetype?

Second, you have to be able to preview it in Audacity in order for the export to MP3 to work. This is done after the file is already renamed from SOUNDSAMPLE01.wav to SOUNDSAMPLE01.mp3 

BTW, did you try using the KotorTool to at least extract the Stream Sounds? We can work out something to get the rest of the voices and the like so you can listen to them, but the sounds are pretty much all of the animal sounds and background ambient audio. If anything, it's a place to start..

Okay.  First, did you copy them out of the Stream Sounds/Voices/Music folder before changing the filetype?

Second, you have to be able to preview it in Audacity in order for the export to MP3 to work. This is done after the file is already renamed from SOUNDSAMPLE01.wav to SOUNDSAMPLE01.mp3 

BTW, did you try using the KotorTool to at least extract the Stream Sounds? We can work out something to get the rest of the voices and the like so you can listen to them, but the sounds are pretty much all of the animal sounds and background ambient audio. If anything, it's a place to start..

Yes I did copy them out of the StreamSounds/Voices/Music folder(s).

I renamed the file type to mp3, but I still couldn't preview the sound to export.

I did get KotorTool to extract StreamSounds, I got some of the ones that I wanted, but I don't know how to tell what the files are. The voices seem fairly hard to convert or even listen to...

• Like 1

Thanks for the help, I will try my best to get it to work.

Edit: I found the installer, installed Miles Sound Tools, but when I choose a file, it goes back to Miles Sound Tools, then it crashes! Not too sure what to do now..

It might be time for to ask your questions about Miles Tools in this LucasForums thread.

So, I tried to decompress with MST (Miles Sound Tools) the battle music "finale" of the first KOTOR game (after changing the extension to .mp3). However, it doesn't work. Files produced are in a format unreadable by any player.

Which is weird, because TSL "sbat" files work just fine.

What am I doing wrong?

You mean this?

All you have to do is a few steps:

Download the free trial of Audacity. I got it here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/. Seemed like a clean link. Install.

Once in the program, bring down "File," then drop down to "Import", and then again to "Raw Data."

Now simply navigate through the folder paths till you find your [soundStreams] folder in the main Kotor2 directory.

Click on a file of your choice. Have fun.

Oh and make sure you adjust the play rate accordingly once the loop on the mixing track. They default to 44000 or something like that, which is WAY too fast for an old MONO sound byte. Since the "HD" (hehe..right) sound patch from Obsidian most sound files play at a 22050Khz rate now. And to create a smooth loop just copy the sound byte and paste it right next to itself (be sure to connect the .wavs just right or you'll get either a pause or an overwrite) a couple times and you've got a loop to mix.

• Like 1

You mean this?

Nope, I also couldn't get that to work either.

I meant that I went for a different game format and took what I needed from there - no compression thank god!