Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Turnip

Animated texture flashing in stead of being solid

So I've been working on a custom animated lightsaber .tga set. I have tried both 128x2048 and 512x512 resolutions, yet the texture in game just flickers. If I reduce the 2048 to 1024 or 512 it just causes the image to flicker faster. All frames are filled. What could be causing this error?

My .txi contents are as follows

proceduretype cycle

defaultwidth 2048
defaultheight 128
numx 16
numy 1
fps 60
blending additive
decal 1

So I've been working on a custom animated lightsaber .tga set. I have tried both 128x2048 and 512x512 resolutions, yet the texture in game just flickers. If I reduce the 2048 to 1024 or 512 it just causes the image to flicker faster. All frames are filled. What could be causing this error?

My .txi contents are as follows

Try changing the fps in the TXI. It's currently set to change frames 60 times every second, which is basically a visible flicker to the naked eye.

I have also tried 16 fps, and had that just made it flicker slowly. By flicker I mean, on for .5 sec off for .5 sec. Very visible, perhaps flicker wasn't the best choice of words. It's more on off on off on off than like blink speed.

I'll try the 512×512 again later today, and will post an image. It looks almost like the blocks defined in the .txi don't line up with the frames from the texture when rendered. As if they're smaller than 128 or something, and it's just showing the empty space in between due to an offset. (They're precisely aligned in each frame in the tga.)

Here is a link to the images https://imgur.com/a/5k4eo showing how its not drawing the full texture on the frames it does render, and is completely blank on the rest. A jpeg conversion of the texture is below.

proceduretype cycle

defaultwidth 128
defaultheight 128
numx 4
numy 4
fps 16
blending additive
decal 1

That is the .txi settting I had for the rendered image. I've tired everything from shrinking the 128x128 to make up for offset, changing cycle to loop (just made one side solid other not render) and decal as 0 or 1 made no difference.

Can't tell because you supplied a JPG, but is the alpha of your original image also correctly set up for 16 frames? I'm guessing probably not

I'm not even aware of how to properly do so. Since I haven't even touched that channel, you may have just straight up guessed it. How can I send a .tga?

It worked! My alpha channel was a 128x128 white box in the middle of a 512x512 black one. So it only rendered the corners of each frame on the white. Wooooooooow, noob mistake xD

Thanks very much! Now I can go ahead with my HQ Animated LS mod :P

Too bad I cant model, cuz I'd love to make the chaotic style blade that cross guard sabers have.

Fixed! https://imgur.com/b8606bV