Sign in to follow this  
Roth9

702kor.mod is missing?

I finally learned to put edited files inside the .mod files, but when I tried changing the module of the sith academy at korriban, the installer said that there was not a 702kor.mod. What can I do?

That's interesting.... the exact same thing happened to me once. Only mods I had installed were the RCM (pretty sure it was 1.8.5) and the most recent iteration of Partyswap. Didn't play around with KSE or anything, so I have no idea what could've caused such a thing, and I haven't been able to replicate it since

Roth: what are you playing on? Steam, Steam updated, GOG, etc?

.mod files (as the name somewhat implies, although that may be by chance) are files that come from mods, i.e. you won't have a .mod file for every module even when installing a big mod like TSLRCM. In fact, if you have no mods installed, you'll have no .mod at all. But it's really easy to create and edit .mod files.

To do so, extract all files from the two .rim files of the module you want to edit (in your case 720KOR.rim and 720KOR_s.rim) both to the same folder. To do so, just click on them in KotOR Tool and click the "Extract entire rim file" button. Next, you'll need ERFEdit to create the .mod file. Open ERFEdit and select File > New. Navigate to a folder of your choosing, type in the filename WITH extension (in your case 720KOR.mod) and set the file type to .mod. Then hit save. Now you need to add the previously extracted files to your .mod file as the game will crash or at least show unwanted behavior unless the .mod contains all files from the two corresponding .rim files. To do so, click the "Add resources to ERF file" button in ERFEdit while you still have your newly created .mod file open. It's the second button from the top at the right. That will open a file selection where you select all the files you previously extracted and then hit Open. Now you can go to File > Save and your newly created .mod file is done and can be placed in the Modules folder.

You can also use ERFEdit to put your edited files into the .mod files by just opening the .mod with ERFEdit (File > Open) and then using the "Add resources to ERF file" and selecting your edited files. The tool will ask you whether you want to replace the files already inside the .mod. Confirm that and save the file and your changes are done.

Edit (29 November 2017): I had forgotten about TSLs dialog erf files. So the tutorial above is working perfectly fine for K1 but for TSL one also needs to add the files from the dialog .erf file for the module. In this case it'd be 702kor_dlg.erf found in ERFs > Modules in KotOR Tool. Those files also need to be extracted and added to the .mod for it to work properly.

We didn't use MOD file for 702 in TSLRCM, all changes are still in RIMs. Vanilla RIM is moved to "backup" folder.

.mod files (as the name somewhat implies, although that may be by chance)

It's short for module, which is KOTOR's name for areas. Also a left over from NWN, a game which was designed to be modded.

It's short for module, which is KOTOR's name for areas. Also a left over from NWN, a game which was designed to be modded.

Makes sense. Do you also know what RIM stands for?

Not a clue. I looked it up and apparently ERF stands for "encapsulated resource file", only thing I could find for RIM is "Resource Image", I don't know how accurate that is though.

It might not mean anything - but most KOTOR file format names do, so who knows.

.mod files (as the name somewhat implies, although that may be by chance) are files that come from mods, i.e. you won't have a .mod file for every module even when installing a big mod like TSLRCM. In fact, if you have no mods installed, you'll have no .mod at all. But it's really easy to create and edit .mod files.

To do so, extract all files from the two .rim files of the module you want to edit (in your case 720KOR.rim and 720KOR_s.rim) both to the same folder. To do so, just click on them in KotOR Tool and click the "Extract entire rim file" button. Next, you'll need ERFEdit to create the .mod file. Open ERFEdit and select File > New. Navigate to a folder of your choosing, type in the filename WITH extension (in your case 720KOR.mod) and set the file type to .mod. Then hit save. Now you need to add the previously extracted files to your .mod file as the game will crash or at least show unwanted behavior unless the .mod contains all files from the two corresponding .rim files. To do so, click the "Add resources to ERF file" button in ERFEdit while you still have your newly created .mod file open. It's the second button from the top at the right. That will open a file selection where you select all the files you previously extracted and then hit Open. Now you can go to File > Save and your newly created .mod file is done and can be placed in the Modules folder.

You can also use ERFEdit to put your edited files into the .mod files by just opening the .mod with ERFEdit (File > Open) and then using the "Add resources to ERF file" and selecting your edited files. The tool will ask you whether you want to replace the files already inside the .mod. Confirm that and save the file and your changes are done.

Didn't work.

You'll have to be more specific if you want me to help you with this.

I did exactly as you told, but when I entered the academy, Sion's scene didnt play and he stood in the hall doing nothing.

I did exactly as you told, but when I entered the academy, Sion's scene didnt play and he stood in the hall doing nothing.

Without knowing what you're trying to do and what files you edited, that could be anything from your edits generally not working over my instructions being wrong (I don't see any mistakes here, but that doesn't mean there are none) or you having misunderstood/incorrectly followed my instructions up to you not having loaded a savegame where you had not visited the module yet or any other number of issues.

Without knowing what you're trying to do and what files you edited, that could be anything from your edits generally not working over my instructions being wrong (I don't see any mistakes here, but that doesn't mean there are none) or you having misunderstood/incorrectly followed my instructions up to you not having loaded a savegame where you had not visited the module yet or any other number of issues.

I tried three times, without editing any files, using a save game from before entering the academy. And I believe I followed your instructions step by step without missing anything.

Can someone extract all the files using kotor tool and send to me please? I want to make sure if my kotor tool is working  as it should.

Could you also just send me your .mod? Then I can have a look at it to make sure that this file is actually the culprit of your errors.

Here you go.

702kor.7z

Here you go.

I'll have a look at it tomorrow or on Tuesday.

Edit: I had a look and noticed that I had forgotten about TSLs dialog erf files. So the tutorial above is working perfectly fine for K1 but for TSL one also needs to add the files from the dialog .erf file for the module. In this case it'd be 702kor_dlg.erf found in ERFs > Modules in KotOR Tool. Those files also need to be extracted and added to the .mod for it to work properly.