Roth9

Editing Kaevee?

What are you looking to change?

Just want to play around. Change the lightsaber, robes, etc...

Strange, I'm looking around the Enclave Sublevel module file (610DAN.s_rim) and I'm not seeing a .utc file for her at all. Just the utcs for laigreks, Jorran, and Geverick and his gang.

Though if you do edit her utc file, all you have to do is save it somewhere and then drop it in your override folder. Be sure to load a save before you enter the Enclave if you want the changes to take effect.

You should probably be looking around 610DAN.mod, not .rim.

Yep that did the trick. It's in the 610DAN mod file under N and the title is n_Kaevee.

Yep that did the trick. It's in the 610DAN mod file under N and the title is n_Kaevee.

I wiil check this latter, but for now, thank you.

You should probably be looking around 610DAN.mod, not .rim.

If you wanted to edit NPC edits of a particular module, you want to stick to the mod files, not the rim files, right?

That depends. If there is .mod present for said module, then you need to stick to it. If there's not, nothing's stopping you from messing with the files in .rim. It's just that game picks the .mod file over .rim file, so if you have both, edits in .rim never take effect.

Not to mention that it's usually a good idea to leave the original files alone so that you can simply revert to the vanilla states by deleting your .mod or files from the override folder.

That's true. But even then it's easier to just remove one file from the Override instead of having to either search for the vanilla file in the vanilla installtion or having to revert all changes including those you might want to keep by replacing the entire installation folder.

Not to mention that it's usually a good idea to leave the original files alone so that you can simply revert to the vanilla states by deleting your .mod or files from the override folder.

What's considered to be the original file then- the .mod files or the .rim files?

What's considered to be the original file then- the .mod files or the .rim files?

The two .rim files are the originals. You won't find .mod files in a completely vanilla installation as they're used by mods (not sure if their name is a coincidence or not).

The two .rim files are the originals. You won't find .mod files in a completely vanilla installation as they're used by mods (not sure if their name is a coincidence or not).

Maybe it was intentional :D Should you avoid using .rim files entirely then? I've done a few edits with .utc files taken from .rim files and they've worked fine.

Maybe it was intentional :D Should you avoid using .rim files entirely then? I've done a few edits with .utc files taken from .rim files and they've worked fine.

You should avoid editing .rim files, yes, but not in the way you think (if I understand you correctly). You can of course take files from the .rims and edit them. You even have to in many cases as most files are stored in .rim files in the original games. But the cool thing about the KotOR games is that they support .mod files and the Override folder for almost every single file you might want to edit. So you never have to replace the vanilla file but instead can place it inside a .mod file or the Override (whatever is appropriate). In that sense you shouldn't use .rim files, i.e. you shouldn't place your edited files back into the .rims as that overwrites the vanilla files whereas using .mod files and the Override folder doesn't.

You should avoid editing .rim files, yes, but not in the way you think (if I understand you correctly). You can of course take files from the .rims and edit them. You even have to in many cases as most files are stored in .rim files in the original games. But the cool thing about the KotOR games is that they support .mod files and the Override folder for almost every single file you might want to edit. So you never have to replace the vanilla file but instead can place it inside a .mod file or the Override (whatever is appropriate). In that sense you shouldn't use .rim files, i.e. you shouldn't place your edited files back into the .rims as that overwrites the vanilla files whereas using .mod files and the Override folder doesn't.

Well thank you for telling me that. Fortunately, I've only made three utc changes from the rim files, but that can easily be recreated by pulling the proper utcs from the mod files. Yay for writing down what you end up editing!

I don't think you understand. You should always pull the utc files from the rim files. Those are the files in the vanilla game. What you should never do is install files back into the rim files. The TSL Patcher will allow you to do that, but it is better to create a mod file out of the 2 rim files, and put your new files in there.

Cant find in the RIM's/Modules directory in kotor tools. Can someone tell me or recommend me a tutorial so I can ope/edit the modules?

Cant find in the RIM's/Modules directory in kotor tools. Can someone tell me or recommend me a tutorial so I can ope/edit the modules?

Open up KOTOR Tool and open the .rim files are in the rims- module. All the rim files will be there.

If you want to get to the .mod files, go to the ERF tab, open it and then open the modules tab. 

The modules that you find in the erf section are all actually from mods you have installed btw. If you don't have any mods installed that add them, they wouldn't be there

Well, that makes sense that you can find only some of the planets' modules in the erf files. So should I keep pulling  utcs from the .rim files then?

Yes. Always get your files from the .rim file, and then install them into the Override or into a .mod file that your create yourself. You can probably find a tutorial here somewhere on how to make .mod files.

The modules that you find in the erf section are all actually from mods you have installed btw. If you don't have any mods installed that add them, they wouldn't be there

Thanks, I understand now.