TLDR there's a new awesome version coming some time
There are few things I'll talk about today: 1. Why hasn't M4-78 been re-uploaded yet 2. What's taking so long to release an update when there's already one on Steam and 3. What sort of changes are we going to see in the next update
1. Why hasn't M4-78 been re-uploaded yet
There was this whole issue with the credits music, we posted about it a while ago. I re-compiled TSLRCM's installer without the credits, but couldn't do the same for M4-78 because M4 files were on a different hard drive, which I didn't have access to at a time.
When I eventually got it back, I was going to make some last-minute changes to the mod and upload it, but I ended up doing a lot of other things instead and never got around to it.
2. What's taking so long to release an update when there's already been an update on Steam
I didn't really have all that much to do with the 1.3 version TBH, maybe except for re-doing a lot of VO filters (more on that later). I wanted to release a big, cool update which would be basically an ultimate version of the mod.
I even had a date in mind for when I would release it - it was some Wednesday back in September - but as mentioned, I ended up doing a lot of other stuff instead.
I'm pretty much done with it now, though. I need to go trough the planet and see if everything still works properly, but other than that, it's good to go. I even thought of releasing a public beta with a disclaimer that it may or may not break half way through, in order not to delay it too much, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. It's been down for so long, a while longer won't hurt.
It'll be released soon. I just need to test it. And I have another person beta-testing it, too. There's a lot of new stuff in the next version that I think will make experience a lot better.
3. What sort of changes are we going to see in the next update
I'm only going to list the major ones I did myself.
Note that no one else has seen most of those changes yet, and I'm not sure I even mentioned most of them to anyone else.
* New intro cut-scene, without so many re-used companion lines; expanded Atton's role with a lot of unused lines of his, though.
* Reduced amount of walking; included auto-teleportation for some quests to make it go faster (in the droid quest, you only have to go trough areas one time instead of three; auto-teleportation to I1-02 after re-building him and few others); added option to destroy cleaning units from the Industrial Zone (it really made no sense to go all way back to Central!)
* Added text description of what's happening in the holo-recordings next to That Door in the Industrial Zone to make whole quest less confusing.
* Alternate way to open THAT DOOR which doesn't require you running around the area multiple times.
* Alternate way to enter the Environmental Zone without ever talking to IS-24. Yes, that means you can do the Environmental Zone first, and meet Kaah before ever heading to the Industrial Zone. I won't spoil how.
* Related to the above: expanded Kaah's role. You can interact with him after first meeting him, but before finding Vash. Thank Zhaboka for recording multiple additional lines for the patch.
* Rewritten ending. Which might get patched out if people like that one even less
* Significantly reduced the lag in the Industrial Zone by splitting the module into a few, smaller ones and reducing number of droids in some areas.
* Re-applied droid filters where possible; used something more HK-like instead of slapping "mechanized" filter on them, which makes the VOs much easier to listen to. Unfortunately, there were few characters that I couldn't re-do that way due to losing source files (greeter droid and CS-45, most notably).
I feel like those changes, especially the reduced amount of walking part and VOs, are going to make the planet feel better and less annoying to play trough. Improved non-linearity is also a plus.
That's it for now. I'll release it some day!