#1 Mellowtron11

Mellowtron11

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationDantooine

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:31 AM

So my Windows 10 laptop works fine and old computer games like KOTOR2 run pretty well. However, when I started playing on this computer a couple years ago, the Sith Assassins lack the see-thru shimmering effect that's usually seen, instead getting a yellow white sheen around them when they enter stealth mode. Similarly, the watery shimmering edges of the screen are absent during Kreia's telepathic communications and the droids lack their blue or red monochrome first person view filter. However, the force sight effect works fine for me.

My computer has a Nvidia Geforce 940M graphics card that gets regular driver updates (current driver version 388.00), an Intel® I7 Core 5500 CPU @2.40GHz, and 7.9 GB RAM. One would think that there's enough power to cover all the graphical effects. Anyone know what might have caused this? I still play the game regardless, but this still made me curious.

Attached Files

#2 Qui-Gon Glenn

Qui-Gon Glenn

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:26 AM

Mods? Something seems to be affecting your CM_baremetal.

#3 Mellowtron11

Mellowtron11

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationDantooine

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:56 AM

I did turn up the brightness a little bit. The original lighting for the screenshots was really dark initially. Are you talking about the regular metal textures?

I also am using NDreW-25's K1 T3-M4 mod, so that's why T3 is so shiny.

#4 Qui-Gon Glenn

Qui-Gon Glenn

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:34 AM

I am talking about the original textures. A mod may have replaced the default CM_Baremetal texture. It has happened before :)

Otherwise, it is indeed odd.

#5 Sithspecter

Sithspecter

Sleheyron Architect

• Administrators
  • 642 posts
  • LocationSleheyron

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:55 AM

I had the same thing. Open up your NVidia control panel and make sure that the default graphics processor is set to the NVidia one and NOT the integrated one. I think you can also change this by right clicking on your game exe, and selecting "Run with graphics processor" and choosing the NVidia one. Should fix it.

#6 Mellowtron11

Mellowtron11

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationDantooine

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:56 AM

I am talking about the original textures. A mod may have replaced the default CM_Baremetal texture. It has happened before :D

Otherwise, it is indeed odd.

Strange, the only mods I have running on TSL are as Follows:

TSLRCM 1.8.5

K1 T3-M4

TSL NPC Stat Fixes Mod 1.0

PMHC05 by Darth Moeller

I have no graphical overhauls of any kind.

#7 Mellowtron11

Mellowtron11

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationDantooine

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:32 AM

I had the same thing. Open up your NVidia control panel and make sure that the default graphics processor is set to the NVidia one and NOT the integrated one. I think you can also change this by right clicking on your game exe, and selecting "Run with graphics processor" and choosing the NVidia one. Should fix it.

When doing this and going into the program settings of the 'Manage 3D Settings' part of the control panel, I choose to customize the SWKotOR2.exe and then select the Nvidia processor, right? Thanks for the info so far!

#8 Sithspecter

Sithspecter

Sleheyron Architect

• Administrators
  • 642 posts
  • LocationSleheyron

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:35 AM

When doing this and going into the program settings of the 'Manage 3D Settings' part of the control panel, I choose to customize the SWKotOR2.exe and then select the Nvidia processor, right? Thanks for the info so far!

Yes, that should get it going. I'm not 100% sure on all the details because your system and graphics card is different than mine, but I hope that will restore those graphical features for you.

#9 Mellowtron11

Mellowtron11

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationDantooine

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:50 AM

Yes, that should get it going. I'm not 100% sure on all the details because your system and graphics card is different than mine, but I hope that will restore those graphical features for you.

I just adjusted everything in the control panel and am still getting the same result. Any other ideas?

#10 Mutilator57

Mutilator57

Loyal and Stalwart Defender of Australian Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationA Land of Sunburnt Plains

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:51 AM

Are you guys sure? I always thought those kind of effects were controlled by the frame buffer effects settings.

"The measure of success is not merchandise, but character" - Calvin Coolidge

"It was treachery...with a smile on its face. Perhaps that was the worst thing of all" - Margaret Thatcher

"Direct action is not always the best way. It is a far greater victory to make another see through your eyes than to close theirs forever" - Kreia

#11 Mellowtron11

Mellowtron11

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationDantooine

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:04 AM

Are you guys sure? I always thought those kind of effects were controlled by the frame buffer effects settings.

Should I disable frame buffer effects then? 

#12 Mutilator57

Mutilator57

Loyal and Stalwart Defender of Australian Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationA Land of Sunburnt Plains

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:18 AM

Should I disable frame buffer effects then? 

You shouldn't quote me on this, but I remember having the setting on to make all those graphical enhancements appear. However, I also vageuly remember the type of graphics card affecting those settings as well. 

"The measure of success is not merchandise, but character" - Calvin Coolidge

"It was treachery...with a smile on its face. Perhaps that was the worst thing of all" - Margaret Thatcher

"Direct action is not always the best way. It is a far greater victory to make another see through your eyes than to close theirs forever" - Kreia

#13 Mellowtron11

Mellowtron11

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationDantooine

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:03 PM

I know this is a silly question, but is CM_baremetal referring to the bare metal textures?

#14 Malkior

Malkior

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:56 AM

I know this is a silly question, but is CM_baremetal referring to the bare metal textures?

Yes it is. However, this looks like the "stealth field" pattern you see before the character becomes invisible.

Have you tried checking your graphical settings in the game menu to see if Frame Buffer Effects is checked?

I remember way back when, my computer didn't support them, so I had them unchecked with similar results.

I am also lead to believe this since the droid overlay, premonition effect, and stealth effect are Frame Effects, IIRC.
|____________>>_______>>__/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users