Sign in to follow this  
Haveayap

Ranger Solo: Anticipation Topic

It doesn't have a new shape. The only difference is that the empty part between the front mandibles is now filled out with a freight container or something. (And the radar dish is different.)

That was my assumption as well, but it seems like a waste to do this. Was it really necessary to add that for this movie? I get the EU lore, but based on the past two Epsiodes, are they even going to be able to explain why the change took place? And will the audience be able to understand it?

Maybe this will the the new "Mighty Merchandise Millennium Falcon!"

• Like 2

That was my assumption as well, but it seems like a waste to do this. Was it really necessary to add that for this movie? I get the EU lore, but based on the past two Epsiodes, are they even going to be able to explain why the change took place? And will the audience be able to understand it?

Maybe this will the the new "Mighty Merchandise Millennium Falcon!"

He'll probably drop the cargo at the first sign of Imperial Cruisers.

• Like 2

If you were holding out any hope for this... Rian Johnson just came out and said he loved it.

So yeah... it's gonna suck.

(Are they activelly sabotaging this thing or what?)

• Like 1

If you were holding out any hope for this... Rian Johnson just came out and said he loved it.

I don't think just because Rian Johnson likes something that it's going to suck. However, this does seem to be one of those "argument from authority" endorsements, which of course have mixed results in the past (mostly bad though).

I have about as much hope as I did before - that it might be entertaining and I'll get my Daenerys Targaryen fix for the year

Two thoughts:

1) They should have named in "Gone in 12 Parsecs"

THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN SO COOL

I'm a TLJ-lover, but I'm in the same boat as y'all about the meh-ness of this trailer.

We by no means should be judging something before the final product is released, that's asinine. Let me say this though, I certainly don't hold much hope for this movie.

How does that even matter though. Can you seriously imagine anyone involved with Star Wars coming out and saying "yeah Solo movie is kinda meh"? He's contractually obligated to say he liked it.

• Like 2

How does that even matter though. Can you seriously imagine anyone involved with Star Wars coming out and saying "yeah Solo movie is kinda meh"? He's contractually obligated to say he liked it.

That gives me a little faith in George Lucas, perhaps he's supposed to say he likes all the new Disney movies even though he probably agree's with the rest of us on them.

On one hand, you would think with the TLJ response someone would go out "you should probably shut up" rather than "yeah, let's have this guy PR our next movie, that's a GREAT idea."

Sounds like LucasFilm is a touch out of reality (as if JJ's response wasn't bad enough) which is very troubling indeed.

I don't know where he said that. I assume somebody asked him and he had to give some answer. And obviously he's gonna be asked and talk about star wars, that's his job.

There's nothing more meaningless than people involved with a movie saying it's going to be good.

More Solo news... and it isn't good.

LucasFilm / Disney have been found out plagiarising the promo posters;

EDIT:

Seems the Facebook post of the artist I linked is deleted 0_o

Plenty of articles about it left on the web though, like;

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/03/disney-accused-plagiarizing-solo-posters-french-artist-hachim-bahous-1201936483/

• Like 1

Pretty much admitting it by changing the posters... to THIS genious. Looks greeeeeeeeeeeeat, doesn't it?
Oh, they removed their guns from the posters cause reasons. Oh, Disney.

solo-a-star-wars-story-international-pos

I feel like singing "bravely running away" from Monthy Python's Holy Grail.

• Like 1

The official trailer has been released:

Honestly, I'm just not hyped for this at all. Really not a fan of the guy playing Han, minus his one quip in the trailer to Chewbacca: "Yeah, well, what do you know?" he just does not feel like Han Solo to me, look-wise sure, but not getting the vibe from him. The only redeeming factor I can say so far is that Donald Glover looks SPOT ON for Lando.

I'll hold my judgments until I've seen it, but I really do have to agree that Alden probably wasn't the best choice for young Han, and for one major reason

I'm sure he can emulate Ford's acting, and he kiiiiind of looks like him a bit, I guess? But the main thing that breaks immersion for me is he sounds absolutely nothing like him. His voice just doesn't have the right timbre. Harrison Ford is a guy with a pretty deep voice. Though not as much as now, it was somewhat gruff even when he was younger. He's the sort of guy who you can hear clearly even if he's talking to you from across a room. From what I've seen in the trailers, Alden's voice just isn't like that

But eh, we'll see. I'm not all that invested in Anthology movies, anyways

• Like 3

I have a feeling they'll kill Chewbacca in this one, After all, they already killed Han, Luke and are forced to write out Leia.

• Like 1

Not really feeling it tbh. I'm still disappointed they fired the original directors because they went too much off-script. I really liked their style.

Donald Glover looks good though (doesn't he always?)

Doesn't look too terrible this time around. But then I remember TLJ's trailer looked good too and all faith goes out the window. Can't say I like Han nor Lando too much, Chewie's stealing the show.

Also notice the droid is played by Phasma. She was so AMAZING in TFA and TLJ, would she get more than 2 minute screentime here? Even chromier?

Won't watch it in cinema. Sorry Disney, you've brought that on yourselves.

• Like 1

It just doesn't look star wars... for 80% of the trailer.

I'm boycotting this movie! In less dramatic words, it just doesn't look like a good movie. It seems like a rehash of guardians of the galaxy with a Han Solo reskin. Since, when is Solo a "driver?" are they trying to cross dress FNF into star wars? 

I am curious to know what people think of this movie after seeing it though, I wonder if the backlash or fan division on this movie will be the same as that of TLJ.

It just doesn't look star wars... for 80% of the trailer.

I'm boycotting this movie! In less dramatic words, it just doesn't look like a good movie. It seems like a rehash of guardians of the galaxy with a Han Solo reskin. Since, when is Solo a "driver?" are they trying to cross dress FNF into star wars? 

I am curious to know what people think of this movie after seeing it though, I wonder if the backlash or fan division on this movie will be the same as that of TLJ.

Honestly, this was expected.

Since Han says something like he doesnt believe in the force, it probably means there is no showing of Force in the movie, which is kinda essential for SW.

Sounds just like her, doesn't it?

It's actually Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Thanks. Could have fooled me... did infact fool me.

Also, the droid's name is L3-37?

Atleast it's not Thorm Scissorpunch? *groan*

But yeah, another really bad name. After Yo Momma we now got L33T in Star Wars. Really, Disney?

I doubt any backlash will be as big, even if the movie is worse. After all it's not a part of the Trilogy / "Series". Even if it may potentially ruin a legendary character doing so.

The more interesting thing is... do people actually show up to watch it and give it that 150M opening they aim for or does TLJ leave it's mark and leave cinema's empty. It's literally got all eyes on it for that reason alone.

no showing of Force in the movie, which is kinda essential for SW.

Eh, I don't agree. Rogue One was fine, even if it did have one Force scene. There was a reason many people were looking forward to Star Wars 1313.

There's more to the franchise than Jedi and Lightsabers.

And as soon as the filmmakers understand that we might actually get some good "different" movies. Not cloning V and VI and pushing that out as a "bold and new direction".

Thanks. Could have fooled me... did infact fool me.

Atleast it's not Thorm Scissorpunch? *groan*

But yeah, another really bad name. After Yo Momma we now got L33T in Star Wars. Really, Disney?

I doubt any backlash will be as big, even if the movie is worse. After all it's not a part of the Trilogy / "Series". Even if it may potentially ruin a legendary character doing so.

The more interesting thing is... do people actually show up to watch it and give it that 150M opening they aim for or does TLJ leave it's mark and leave cinema's empty. It's literally got all eyes on it for that reason alone.

Eh, I don't agree. Rogue One was fine, even if it did have one Force scene. There was a reason many people were looking forward to Star Wars 1313.

There's more to the franchise than Jedi and Lightsabers.

And as soon as the filmmakers understand that we might actually get some good "different" movies. Not cloning V and VI and pushing that out as a "bold and new direction".

Is it so much to hire people to come up with better names? The most interesting and I dare say it, iconic Star Wars names were created both through research and several drafts. Luke Darklighter/Starkill and General Deathwater were going to be Luke and Vader, respectfully. (Sound familiar?).

Whoever is in charge of naming in the new films seems to keep the first name that comes to mind and does nothing further.

I would love a SW movie on non-force users, that's definitely something the Solo movie has going for it. I was disappointed when Rogue One didn't have a jedi only to insert a jedi wannabe monk.

The fan love for Mandalorians would be a prime example of SW fans caring about more than just the Jedi/Sith LS/DS Force aspect of SW. '

But I will watch and see how people react, and how well the Solo movie produces. I don't want the movie to fail, but I have low expectations of its success.