N-DReW25

Modifying pre existing Dialog.tlk entries via TSLPatcher [TSL]

I am trying to modify pre-existing entries in the Dialog.tlk without creating any actual new entries using a TSLPatcher but the information in the readme of the TSLPatcher sounds like it is instructing me how to make new entries which I don't want. 

Can anyone please explain what I would actually need to do to edit the entries I want? Any help would be appreciated.

It's not possible to edit dialog.tlk entries with TSLPatcher, but I'm not quite sure why.

AFAIK it has something to do with the offsets and byte length of these strings that would cause troubles if the length of the new entry isn't exactly the same as the length of the original entry.

But I'm pretty sure someone else can explain this better than I can.

It's not possible to edit dialog.tlk entries with TSLPatcher, but I'm not quite sure why.

AFAIK it has something to do with the offsets and byte length of these strings that would cause troubles if the length of the new entry isn't exactly the same as the length of the original entry.

But I'm pretty sure someone else can explain this better than I can.

Alright, so how would I go about changing the text of a vanilla sidequest journal update (The text that tells you what you're supposed to be doing etc)? If it matters the new text is already in the dialog.tlk so changing the actual text might not be necessary instead (if it would be easier) how would I switch the sidequest journal text with it's cut content counterpart hidden in the tlk (If you can guess what this is your probably right)

About this specifically, if this is true then how did Malkior make his Blasters Reloaded Mod if this is the case.

From what I can tell his mod edits the entries for all the descriptions of the ranged attack feats like rapid shot to say "Added by Weapon" instead of "Requirement: Level 8" for example. 

Alright, so how would I go about changing the text of a vanilla sidequest journal update (The text that tells you what you're supposed to be doing etc)? If it matters the new text is already in the dialog.tlk so changing the actual text might not be necessary instead (if it would be easier) how would I switch the sidequest journal text with it's cut content counterpart hidden in the tlk (If you can guess what this is your probably right)

If necessary, you add the entry for dialog.tlk with TSLPatcher and then you simply edit the StringRef in the appropriate global.jrl entry. global.jrl is a standard gff file, so you can edit it with your gff-editor and then use TSLPatcher's compare function to create the installer.

About this specifically, if this is true then how did Malkior make his Blasters Reloaded Mod if this is the case.

From what I can tell his mod edits the entries for all the descriptions of the ranged attack feats like rapid shot to say "Added by Weapon" instead of "Requirement: Level 8" for example. 

I don't know but I would guess that he added these strings to dialog.tlk and then changed the description to those new StringRefs. But then again, I might just be wrong about all of this.

If necessary, you add the entry for dialog.tlk with TSLPatcher and then you simply edit the StringRef in the appropriate global.jrl entry. global.jrl is a standard gff file, so you can edit it with your gff-editor and then use TSLPatcher's compare function to create the installer.

I don't know but I would guess that he added these strings to dialog.tlk and then changed the description to those new StringRefs. But then again, I might just be wrong about all of this.

Well, technically Fairstrides walked me through the entire process, but that's exactly what I did for the mod. I created a bunch of Strings for the new descriptions and then injected them into the GFF files and added them to Append.tlk. I believe the TSLPatcher doesn't actually edit the Dialog.tlk, but rather uses the Append.tlk to add entries. (I'm not sure about the technicals, but there are certain to be others on DS who could tell you more)