Sign in to follow this  
GGT89

Need help to modify game mechanics in Kotor2

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to modding and i would like to know if it would be possible to create a single mod so that has:

- New Attribute effects:

1) Demolition act as a damage&hit multiplier for grenades

2) Awareness increase critical hit chance & protect from critical hits

3) Charisma can lower the price of the items you buy

- New Skills:

4) Blaster Rifles have a feat like blaster gun 

5) Wrist launcher has a 50% chance of using rockets&darts without consuming them. Or, even better, make it so that rockets&dart are 

no more consumable but like skill force related (unlimited, but after a certain use they finish and refill only after battle)

- More "data" on screen menu:

6) You can see in-game the influence point (es: 65/100)

7) You see at the workbench all the items you could craft 

8) You can access, equip&unequip all the PCs inventory in the ship

9) Your inventory shows you all the items, even those equipped by members that aren't currently in your team

- New Battle Mechanics & AI:

10) You can go invisible during fights (with the invisibility going off when you attack) consuming items or force points

11) You can use a FF12 gambit system (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Gambits)

ex: condition hp-80%: medpack / condition non droid: action stasis, / condition stunned enemy: flurry

12) You can  add different stances

13) You can see the dice rolls in the bottom of screen

- New Characters starting Stats & Armors:

14) Always meet lvl 1 new companion so that you can build them differently, and in general

modify their starting feats&skills

15) Make all the starting base armors upgradable 

Of course i'm not asking you to explain me how to make all this but just to tell me

where to start for what would be possible and why some of these would be impossible.

Thank You Very Much!

Ps: sorry if i did something wrong, i'm new and it's my first post!

I'm certainly not an expert on combat mechanics in KotOR, but I think most of what you're trying to do is hardcoded into the game and can't be changed. I might be wrong however.

14) & 15) is definetly possible by modifying the .utc files for the characters and the .uti files for the armor. Maybe there's something else involved in making the armor upgradeable. Not sure here.

6) is also somewhat possible in a special dialog. There is a mod that allows you to talk to the Remote and it'll tell you all the influence values.

For the other ideas, someone else will have to chime in as I can't say for sure whether or not they're doable.

• Like 1

1) Demolition act as a damage&hit multiplier for grenades

This is possible by editing k_sup_grenade. I remember this idea has been discussed before, but I'm not sure if anyone went and did anything with it.

2) Awareness increase critical hit chance & protect from critical hits

This is not possible. The combat system is hard coded.

3) Charisma can lower the price of the items you buy

This is theoretically possible, but not very practical. Stores and their prices are defined in UTM files. The only way have the prices change would be to make a different store and then script which one opens depending on your charisma. But it still wouldn't really work, because the game would consider it an entirely different store and one would not keep track of what was added to or removed from another. Edit from the future: It's also possible to change the markup via script, and that could be based on Charisma. Still not very practical as it requires editing every merchant and may be incompatible with other merchant mods, but possible.

4) Blaster Rifles have a feat like blaster gun

Not sure what you mean here.

5) Wrist launcher has a 50% chance of using rockets&darts without consuming them. Or, even better, make it so that rockets&dart are 

no more consumable but like skill force related (unlimited, but after a certain use they finish and refill only after battle)

This is not possible. Rockets and grenades are destroyed upon use and there's no way to change that. Theoretically, you could edit the impact script to give you back another item, but it would be a little wonky.

6) You can see in-game the influence point (es: 65/100)

The only way to do this is to edit or create a dialogue file that will display it for you when you ask. There are mods that do this. There's no way to add it to the GUI, though.

7) You see at the workbench all the items you could craft 

😎 You can access, equip&unequip all the PCs inventory in the ship

The game already does these.

9) Your inventory shows you all the items, even those equipped by members that aren't currently in your team

This is not possible. Items are stored in a character's inventory or the party inventory, not both.

10) You can go invisible during fights (with the invisibility going off when you attack) consuming items or force points

This is not possible. You can only use the stealth mechanic outside combat. There may be a way to fake it with a new spell, but I think it would require editing the AI to make them stop noticing you and that's a mess I try to avoid, so I can't say much more. I really doubt it would work.

11) You can use a FF12 gambit system (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Gambits)

ex: condition hp-80%: medpack / condition non droid: action stasis, / condition stunned enemy: flurry

This is not possible. The engine and GUI would have to be built for that sort of thing, and they're not.

12) You can  add different stances

What do you mean by stances?

13) You can see the dice rolls in the bottom of screen

This isn't possible. Again, the GUI can't be edited in that manner. If you want to see the results of die rolls you'll have to check the feedback screen.

14) Always meet lvl 1 new companion so that you can build them differently, and in general

modify their starting feats&skills

This can easily be done by editing their UTC files.

15) Make all the starting base armors upgradable

Any armor can be made upgradeable, but the systems differ slightly in each game. They both require editing of the UTI files.

• Like 2

Thank you to both of you!

For the badly explained point:

4) I was refering to the fact that (as far as i know) rifles cannot benefit from any "one weapon" or "2 weapon" bonus. So adding a special skills

like "2 hands heavy weapon" would balance the game.

7) Actually if you go the laboratory with a character that has low "cure" you can't see all the craftable implants, same with low demolition for grenade ecc...

8) By PCs i meant "playable characters", all the companion and your character. So for example if you have two lightsabers, Kreia wont

teach you if the other one is equipped on Visas, and the only way to do it (as far as i have seen) is to land somewhere, unequip visas, then

go back to ship! Also before mission it could be useful to equip all your team on the ship.

12) By stances i meant lightsaber forms (https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_II:_The_Sith_Lords/Forms)

Thanks again

You can equip the party on the ship. Just use the arrows next to the portrait in the inventory.

Really? I don't know how i missed that after 40hours of playing.. Now i'm feeling so stupid  lol

Thank you!

I was refering to the fact that (as far as i know) rifles cannot benefit from any "one weapon" or "2 weapon" bonus. So adding a special skills

like "2 hands heavy weapon" would balance the game.

I believe they already do, but in any case it's not possible to add new feats like that.

Actually if you go the laboratory with a character that has low "cure" you can't see all the craftable implants, same with low demolition for grenade ecc...

That's because it displays what whoever accesses it can do. I was under the impression that it displayed everything with some options greyed out, though. Anyway, I don't think that can be changed.

Yes, but what did you want to do with them? Animations? Or just mechanical effects?

• Like 1

Well, once again, pretty much all of the combat system is hard coded; however, it might be possible to make something with similar effects. I haven't really looked into it much, but the existing forms are outlined in spells.2da.

Well, once again, pretty much all of the combat system is hard coded; however, it might be possible to make something with similar effects. I haven't really looked into it much, but the existing forms are outlined in spells.2da.

Couldn't creating new hides with the stats of each form and put it on an NPC work? 

It could, and that's the method a couple K1 mods have used. But the thing I'm not sure about is whether new forms can be added into the same GUI spot as the existing forms. Otherwise, you would be able to use two at a time.