Sign in to follow this  
CrisG

Seeking Advice on Running KOTOR and TSL (GOG Version) using TSLRCM and the Restoration Packs

I am hopeful to be able to run both games ..sadly my original disks wont load no matter what i try for my Win 8.1 system. So  am buying the GOG ones but had thought to replace the installation location to the original but is that necessary?

I plan to add the high rez movies and music and the needed patches...and hope then to install both Restoration packs..but would appreciate any guidance on how to make that all work. thanks in advance.

I will re in stall on my XP SP3 system as well, but it is more convenient to use my 8.1 system if possible.

thanks

CrisG

It's really quite simple and it won't be necessary to go back to your XP system.

Once you bought the games from gog, you can either download the installer from your account page on gog.com or you can use their client called GOG Galaxy to install the games. In either case you can install them to any location you want and it's not necessary for this to be the same directory that the CD/DVD version would have been installed to. Also a note on GOG Galaxy. Even if you use it to install games, unlike Steam and other similar platforms you don't have to launch it every time you want to play. I like to use it for easier installations but it really is completely optional.

Also, the HQ movies patch is included in the gog installation AFAIK. The music patch is not official, so it's not included but IIRC it's just an archive of music files that you extract to the correct folder in your installation. The mod's read-me file should give you clear instructions on what exactly you have to do.

To install the restoration packs you just download them from this site, unpack them if necessary and run the included installer (.exe file). It will then either auto-detect the location of your KOTOR/TSL installation or ask you to direct it there. In the latter case, just direct it to the main game installation directory of the correct game (the folder that includes the executable, i.e. swkotor.exe or swkotor2.exe). Then follow the installers instructions and everything should be installed correctly.

And that's it. You're done and can play the game :D

Thanks Sith H, sorry i got it in the wrong place and thanks Kexikus, appreciate the details. I dont use Galazy i prefer to install my self so i know what is going on, as long as the GOG install location is fine and the Restoration pack and find it there all is good. 

yes i know about the music mod, i have installed a gazillion mods in these games over the years, that is good to know that the high rez movies got into the GOG pack. thanks again for the fast replies. 

Do we need to add the Patches for KOTOR? i have both 1.01 and 1.03 was not sure from checking the game to see if they are installed yet....

UPDATE: tried installing both and neither will intall with the GOG version, both say game not found. so i hope that the fixes like he walk key fix are included in GOG.

Are we able to use the Bastilla Romance Enhancement mod with the restored content pack?

Am i correct in assuming we dont need to do this fix any more?

Then add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" to the "swkotor.inifile" file under [Graphics Options]

The gog version is fully patched so there's no need to manually update the games.

It's kinda strange that the games are not found even though they're properly installed. (You checked that, right?) Can you manually enter the installation paths for the restorations? If not you'll have to add the registry entries for the games. There should be a tutorial on how to do that somewhere here on this site or you can google it and should be able to find it pretty quickly.

And I don't know if the Bastila Romance Enhancement will work with K1R. Check this thread, maybe you're in luck and someone confirmed that it does. If not, give it a shot and if there are no warnings when installing the Enhancement you're probably good to go.

Finally, about that fix: I don't think I use it but the gog version really is just the same as the DVD version with the latest patch applied so you'll probably want to use the fix if you had to before.

Hi Kexikus thanks for the fast reply much appreciated.

I will try out the Bastilla Romance mod, it does not change much so hopefully it will work. glad to hear about the patches. Most of the fixes in the patches were very useful so it is nice to have them. 

the fix mostly applied to Nvida cards so i will see how things go thanks again for nice fast reply and support. 

Cris

Well i got the GOG version with the latest patches installed and the game patched with the Restoration mod set On my XP Machine TSLPatcher runs just fine and all of the new files are safely installed in the Overide folder, i will now just transfer the entire game install to my 8.1 system and hopefully it will all work as designed.

Cris