olnorton

Black Line in middle of face.

I hate to necro an old thread, but I found something that may be of use to this issue. I mentioned in earlier posts about the possibility of overriding the GL_CLAMP call. I discovered that something people were recommending to fix K1's grass issues also has the ability to do this.

GLOverride - http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=Cool&ID=5

If anyone with the black line issue would line to test this, grab the file from the above link, extract to your K1/TSL folder, open opengl32.ini in a text editor and change

FixClamp = 0
to

FixClamp = 1
I'm unable to test it myself. The one instance where I noticed a similar problem was on an XP machine, but the GOG version crashes on XP using that DLL.

I haven't played Kotor for a while , so I only just saw this now.

I tried it and it completely removed the line from Mission's face. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Cool, glad to hear it worked.

I wonder how many other KOTOR graphical issues could be fixed in a similar manner.

What are these other issues? I know of the black line in the middle of the face one, but not others

Okay, I used GLoverride and it removed the line from Carth but I still have a partial one on another head and some models have a gold colored seam in both games. Is there any way to fix that?

On 1/25/2018 at 5:37 PM, olnorton said:

I haven't played Kotor for a while , so I only just saw this now.

I tried it and it completely removed the line from Mission's face. :thumbup:

CONFIRMED working as well.  Got rid of Carth's black line and a couple other LOD models walking close to you with KOTOR restore mod.  Good stuff.  SO HAPPY, this rollercoaster blackline is over with.  Now time to finally play.

Pardon my necromancy,

I've had this issue for so long, I'd come to believe it was a universal issue with the PC ports. My times playing KOTOR over the last decade (maybe longer) had the lines on both Mission and Carth. Now I've started TSL and Atton has it. I don't know if this information will ever be useful to anyone, but after hearing that some people have been able to play these games without the face lines, I may have become just a little obsessed, and thought I'd document my efforts.

I'm using an AMD 6700 graphics card and Windows 10. When I started, I was using the latest official driver, 23.7.2.

Using GLOverride causes the game to crash on launch. I tried with swkotor2.ini configured for fullscreen, and again with it set to windowed. Either way, there's no indication of the program starting, outside of swkotor2.exe briefly appearing in - and disappearing from - Task Manager. This applies regardless of the contents of GLOverride's opengl32.ini.

As suggested earlier in the thread, I added a .txi file to my override folder. I have very little experience actually making mods for these games, so I extracted P_AttnH1.txi to get a baseline of what the file is supposed to look like. I tried using the arguments provided by @ndix UR and @DarthParametric, but the line persists using any combination.

(The contents of the original P_AttnH1.txi are below.)

mipmap 0
xbox_downsample 256
blending punchthrough

I tried replacing "xbox_downsample 256" with ndix UR's "downsamplemax 0"; when that didn't work, replaced "downsamplemax 0" with "clamp 1" (then 0, then 2, then 3); when none of those worked, tried all previous iterations with "blending punchthrough" deleted. Atton's forehead remains marked. (Deleting "mipmap 0" and using "clamp" causes a crash when loading a module with Atton present, but this may be expected behavior.)

At this point, I'm back to .ini tweaking to see if anything sticks. Oddly, something does. Disabling BOTH Anisotropy AND Anti-Aliasing gets rid of Atton's line. Forcing Anti-Aliasing through AMD software (With the game's setting off) brings the line back.

After reading that some users of Steam's forums had fixed some other graphical issues in KOTOR by reverting to an earlier driver, I did a clean install (CleanUp Utility, SafeMode, the whole shebang.) of the current LTS driver, "PRO Edition 22.Q4". I tried everything again; the line persists, GLOverride still crashes, but I can now set Anisotropy as high or low as I please without the line reappearing. Unfortunately, still no joy with Anti-Aliasing.

While writing this absolute screed, I thought to try the GOG version of TSL (I'd been playing through Steam before), with the same results. I installed KOTOR (GOG) to see if my only fix for Atton applies to Carth. Nope. Carth's got the line no matter what settings I use, and GLOverride still crashes in the same way it did with TSL. I haven't tried any .txi tweaking (or retail versions of the games) because I've spent about ten hours on this issue over the course of a week, and am pretty much spent.

Edited by NoBlasters

On 8/20/2023 at 12:50 PM, NoBlasters said:

Pardon my necromancy,

I've had this issue for so long, I'd come to believe it was a universal issue with the PC ports. My times playing KOTOR over the last decade (maybe longer) had the lines on both Mission and Carth. Now I've started TSL and Atton has it. I don't know if this information will ever be useful to anyone, but after hearing that some people have been able to play these games without the face lines, I may have become just a little obsessed, and thought I'd document my efforts.

I'm using an AMD 6700 graphics card and Windows 10. When I started, I was using the latest official driver, 23.7.2.

Using GLOverride causes the game to crash on launch. I tried with swkotor2.ini configured for fullscreen, and again with it set to windowed. Either way, there's no indication of the program starting, outside of swkotor2.exe briefly appearing in - and disappearing from - Task Manager. This applies regardless of the contents of GLOverride's opengl32.ini.

As suggested earlier in the thread, I added a .txi file to my override folder. I have very little experience actually making mods for these games, so I extracted P_AttnH1.txi to get a baseline of what the file is supposed to look like. I tried using the arguments provided by @ndix UR and @DarthParametric, but the line persists using any combination.

(The contents of the original P_AttnH1.txi are below.)

mipmap 0
xbox_downsample 256
blending punchthrough

I tried replacing "xbox_downsample 256" with ndix UR's "downsamplemax 0"; when that didn't work, replaced "downsamplemax 0" with "clamp 1" (then 0, then 2, then 3); when none of those worked, tried all previous iterations with "blending punchthrough" deleted. Atton's forehead remains marked. (Deleting "mipmap 0" and using "clamp" causes a crash when loading a module with Atton present, but this may be expected behavior.)

At this point, I'm back to .ini tweaking to see if anything sticks. Oddly, something does. Disabling BOTH Anisotropy AND Anti-Aliasing gets rid of Atton's line. Forcing Anti-Aliasing through AMD software (With the game's setting off) brings the line back.

After reading that some users of Steam's forums had fixed some other graphical issues in KOTOR by reverting to an earlier driver, I did a clean install (CleanUp Utility, SafeMode, the whole shebang.) of the current LTS driver, "PRO Edition 22.Q4". I tried everything again; the line persists, GLOverride still crashes, but I can now set Anisotropy as high or low as I please without the line reappearing. Unfortunately, still no joy with Anti-Aliasing.

While writing this absolute screed, I thought to try the GOG version of TSL (I'd been playing through Steam before), with the same results. I installed KOTOR (GOG) to see if my only fix for Atton applies to Carth. Nope. Carth's got the line no matter what settings I use, and GLOverride still crashes in the same way it did with TSL. I haven't tried any .txi tweaking (or retail versions of the games) because I've spent about ten hours on this issue over the course of a week, and am pretty much spent.

I also had this problem with Atton and none of those fixes worked for me.

I ended up editing Atton's head model and tweaking the UV map which fixed the black line down the middle. I'll attach a copy if you want to try it.

Don't have KotOR 1 so I don't know if I have the same black line on Carth. If you can send me a copy of his head and texture I could apply the same fix I used on Atton.

atton_head.7z

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2023 at 9:21 PM, Asarin said:

I also had this problem with Atton and none of those fixes worked for me.

I ended up editing Atton's head model and tweaking the UV map which fixed the black line down the middle. I'll attach a copy if you want to try it.

Don't have KotOR 1 so I don't know if I have the same black line on Carth. If you can send me a copy of his head and texture I could apply the same fix I used on Atton.

atton_head.7z 46.36 kB · 1 download

Fantastic! Thanks so much!

CarthH.7z

Edited by NoBlasters

On 8/25/2023 at 7:41 PM, Asarin said:

Done.  If there's still a visible black line could you attach a screenshot of it.

If it has fixed Carth for you, send me Mission if she needs the same fix.

carth1.7z 46.66 kB · 0 downloads

You're a wizard.

Head-on, the line disappears.

line.png.c0f6e10fa795d4ac0aeabb28ecdafe4e.png

noline.png.607a36d4a71170e9b8db440181b0f127.png

Sideward angle, the line is greatly reduced, just barely visible.

sideline.png.48048b0da4264a0156a6ffabf0cb68fb.png

sidelinepostfix.png.c8a312e78ed72f2b69039a1401bf0b05.png

Huge improvement. Thank you, again.

MissionH.7z

Edited by NoBlasters

18 hours ago, Asarin said:

Slightly tweaked Carth. Let me know if the line still shows at an angle.

First edit of Mission done. Post some screenshots if she needs further tweaking.

carth_v2+mission_v1.7z 116.04 kB · 2 downloads

Mission's looking good, so far. I don't have her in my party yet, but the line disappears in the cantina sequence.

missionline.png.4897e795333319d797a9138060e642a1.pngmissionlinefix.png.0842113529856337ca4324c51f431c3a.png

Carth still has a very faint line from the side, but I'm starting to not notice it.

carthsidelinefix2.png.b586ffb2c520dd091188343f71972f1a.png

I don't know what all goes into these fixes, but they're greatly appreciated. You should make a mod page, once you're satisfied with them. :)

I just checked Atton in K2 and he also has a slight visible line when viewed at certain angles.  I don't think my tweaking to the UV map can fix it without re-mapping the whole face.

The edits are very simple so it's no trouble at all.

Minor changes to Atton and Carth models attached.

atton_v2+carth_v3.7z