• LocationOz

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

Posted Image

File Name: TSL Main Menu Model Fix for Widescreen

File Submitter: DarthParametric

File Submitted: 13 Aug 2017

File Category: Mods

TSLRCM Compatible: Yes

This mod adjusts the model files for TSL's main menu so that they properly fill the full screen width of widescreen aspect ratios (i.e. 16:9, 16:10).

By default, the vanilla menus will have gaps in the background at each side of the screen. This is an inherent issue of the model being designed for 4:3 aspect ratios, so when a widescreen mod (or Aspyr's version) is used, areas of the model are exposed that were not anticipated by Obsidian. This mod addresses the issue by scaling the width of the background plane so that it spans the full width of the screen, and adding an additional VFX emitter to the bottom right of the screen so that the fog also spans the full width. Additionally, a minor correction is made to the Easter egg menu to properly apply the appropriate texture to the eyes, eyelids, teeth, and tongue of one of the Twi'leks, which are untextured in the vanilla version. See the attached pictures for an illustration of the changes.

I have edited all 6 menu models, but in practice only 4 of those are typically used in the game (although TSLRCM does also make use of the Easter egg menu). I've included them all to cover all/most eventualities.

Note that this mod primarily adjusts the menu models. No changes are made to the background texture, so any custom version of that texture will work with this mod as well. Per a user request, I have added adjusted logo images to address the stretching on those (they are not part of the model). Both vanilla and TSLRCM versions are included (permission to modify/redistribute the TSLRCM logo provided by zbyl2).

Obviously this mod will not be compatible with any other mod that also alters/replaces the menu models like, for example, my own DS player menu mod (although that can be installed over the top of this mod). Any update for TSLRCM will presumably overwrite the Easter Egg menu and the logo.

N.B.: This is NOT a widescreen mod! This is just a fix for when you are already using a widescreen mod like UniWS or Aspyr's natively widescreen version.

Installation Instructions
Copy the MDL and MDX files from the "FOR OVERRIDE FOLDER" and paste them into your Override folder. If you have TSLRCM, additionally copy the files from the TSLRCM EXTRA, overwriting when prompted in both cases. If you use Aspyr's version of TSL on Steam with TSLRCM installed from the Workshop, you'll need to use TSLRCM's Override folder instead. It should be <Steam Dir>\steamapps\workshop\content\208580\485537937\override\ for the English version. Optionally, you can also copy across KOTOR2Logo.tga which is the logo texture. The TSLRCM version is in the TSLRCM folder with mainmenu06.

Acknowledgements
Thanks to TeamTwi'lek* for their secret tool project that made editing and compiling the menu models possible
*Not their real name, but it should be

Thanks to VarsityPuppet for testing 16:10 compatibility

Posted Image Posted Image

Seems like I hit the hard limit on embedded images.

Click here to download this file

#2 LucyTheAlien

LucyTheAlien

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:48 PM

Woo!

One will make the choice- all will make the journey.

#3 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

Awesome. Thank you very much :)

#4 superSzym

superSzym

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

While the fix is great, I'd suggest that you make one more change. The KotOR II Logo is unnaturally warped as in vanilla when you try to play on widescreen with the highest possible resolution. You might want to make it square.

#5 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

The logo isn't part of the model. It's part of the menu overlay (like the buttons). I can modify the texture used for the logo, but presumably the TSLRCM version would require permission to redistribute.

#6 superSzym

superSzym

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

Oh. That's alright. I have thought it could have been part of the model because I have been playing Morrowind recently and there even things like the main menu and the crosshair are assembled by meshes. I think the issue could also be fixed by editing .gui files, which would be a good idea because that would work for both vanilla and TSLRCM without need to edit the textures. Other mods which edit that .gui file make both the logo and the button ridiculously small compared to the character model next to them.

#7 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:29 PM

I got permission from zbyl2. I'll upload them shortly. Just working on getting my other menu mod updated at present.

Edit: Updated version with fixed logos is now uploaded.

Edit 2: I have now updated my other menu mod - http://deadlystream....cement-for-tsl/

#8 LucyTheAlien

LucyTheAlien

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:10 PM

Do you think you could do something similar for the swoop bike menu overlay?

One will make the choice- all will make the journey.

#9 superSzym

superSzym

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

Now that I think of editing the logo texture to correct its appearance in the main menu, most widescreen mods correct the problem with logo stretching in the loading screens, thus narrowing the texture will turn the logo too narrow everywhere except for the main menu. Editing .gui file for the main menu to fix the logo is probably the only possibility to prevent issues in the other parts of interface.

#10 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

Not that I can see. The logo in the loading screen is stretched in the GOG version using UniWS and the Aspyr version without my altered version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users