Photo

How to make a character see-through? (K1)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DarthRevan101

DarthRevan101

World's most unoriginal forum name....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:57 AM

I've got a custom appearance that's a reskin of the Dark Jedi model. I want to make him translucent like a ghost, similar to the Ajunta Pall Unique Appearance mod, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

#2 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

From what I can tell, this is simply done with a half-transparent texture for both the head and the body. The holograms seen in K1 are also unique appearances that most likely use a transparent texture (unlike in TSL, where the hologram is an overlay).

So yeah, you'll need a unique appearance.2da (and heads.2da if necessary) row to assign him a unique texture and then give that texture an alpha channel of something like 50%.

#3 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:09 AM

It looks like in some instances, holo Vandar for example, they animate the alpha value of the meshes instead.

#4 DarthRevan101

DarthRevan101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

From what I can tell, this is simply done with a half-transparent texture for both the head and the body. The holograms seen in K1 are also unique appearances that most likely use a transparent texture (unlike in TSL, where the hologram is an overlay).

So yeah, you'll need a unique appearance.2da (and heads.2da if necessary) row to assign him a unique texture and then give that texture an alpha channel of something like 50%.

I've made the image semi-transparent in GIMP but it doesn't show up in game like that.

#5 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

You don't need a semi-transparent image, but an alpha channel. That's somehow the same thing but it's saved differently.

When saving your half-transparent image as .tga, it'll loose this transparency as .tga doesn't support transparency (I think). Instead it'll either look like it did before you made it half-transparent or it'll have washed out colors if transparency is replaced with grey colour. Either way, it's not what you want.

Instead you need an alpha channel. I don't know how GIMP handles these, but there should be tutorials for it. You need to add an alpha channel with "50% opacity". This information will then be stored in the .tga and can be read by the game. There it can be used for transparency, but also for other effects like cubemaps. In your case it should be read as transparency of course.

#6 DarthRevan101

DarthRevan101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

I've got an Alpha Channel but I can't figure out how to change the opacity. It won't let me edit the channel attributes.

260I3fB.png

#7 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

An alpha dictates transparency by greyscale values. White is 100% opaque, black is 100% transparent. You won't actually see transparency in Gimp. It's a mask that the game uses to control transparency.

If you are creating transparent images in Gimp, try saving them as PNG and then converting them to 32bit TGA. PNG actually uses an alpha for transparency, unlike GIF, and I believe that Gimp will preserve it during conversion (unlike PS).

#8 DarthRevan101

DarthRevan101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:13 AM

Okay, so I've got it working (kind of) but it's only transparent in certain places. For example it looks exactly how I intended when I'm on Taris but if I go to Kashyyyk then it's no longer see-through. Is there something I'm doing wrong/a way around this or should I just live with it?

#9 DarthParametric

DarthParametric

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationOz

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:40 AM

What's it look like on Kashyyyk?

Btw for Ajunta Pall it doesn't look like they went the hologram route. They just used the standard Dark Jedi model and applied the blue shield VFX via the on-spawn script. The relevant bit being:

effect efVisual = EffectVisualEffect(2041, 0);
	ApplyEffectToObject(2, efVisual, OBJECT_SELF, 0.0);
Edit: I tried out a mesh edit. Here's Ajunta Pall in his vanilla guise vs mesh alpha values of 0.5 and 0.75:

K1_Sith_Ghost_Mesh_Alpha_01_TH.jpg

Uses the standard vanilla textures.

#10 DarthRevan101

DarthRevan101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

What's it look like on Kashyyyk?

Just solid, opaque. Except for the eyes though I think. I'll post a screenshot when I get back to my computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users