Photo

Modding Help Needed

Jedi Blasters Regeneration Skills Level-Up Points Modding Powers Forces Features

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ALPHA000102

ALPHA000102

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

Two individuals created 2 mods that I enjoy using. However they contain features that I do not really care for. Both users have granted permission to edit their mods as long as they receive credit which I give here for creating their mods.

I am too new to modding to be able to do this myself. I am asking that someone please merge these mods together so I can use them both or at the very least provide specific instructions so I can be shown how to do it. If the mods cannot be merged I ask that they be made compatible so I can use them both.

As I said there are features in one of the mods that I do not care for. I ask to be shown the way how to remove. The attached "Desired Readme" file shows the features I want and it can be compared with the normal readme file to be shown which I want taken out. Again I am too new to modding to do this myself and I need help to get the job done.

Finally I want them to be compatible with my .2da files that I have created and attached as well. I want the benefits they provide to be available in the mods. I have attached both mods and my own .2da files in the zip folder below. Please help me out. Thank you in advance.

#2 ALPHA000102

ALPHA000102

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:18 AM

I have been able to get both mods to work together by editing the .2da files. I replaced the .2da files in the mods with those that I made with the settings I want. This way both the 2 mods themselves and my .2da files were installed at once so they were all compatible with each other. Now I can get access to the all the Force Powers: both those available be default in the game and those from both the mods at once.

There is still one problem though. None of the new Force Powers in either of the mods were included in their spells.2da file. Therefore I cannot edit the ability to determine what level they become available for my character. I was wondering anyone could help me figure out a way to do it. I believe maybe editing the .ncs or .nss files would do so. Can anyone confirm this? Do you know of a editor I can use to edit those files? I have including the mods with this post so you can have something to work with. Thank you in advance.

I also thank the creators of those mods for permission to edit the mods as long as it is for personal use only which is all I am doing and as they requested I grant them full credit for creating the mods.

Attached Files

#3 ALPHA000102

ALPHA000102

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:06 AM

As I said the script files might help and I have been able to view them. However I cannot see the entries to change the level where the Force Power becomes available. Can anyone please help me out? I have chosen to use the Rage Force Power from the DI_K1FPP mod and a Force Power from the k1_force_pack_v2 mod for practice. I want to get the hang of everything and move onto the others later.

Could you please check these KOTOR scripts and show me where I need to change to alter what level I can make the Force Powers available? Please be advised I do not have the ability to decompile script. Thank you in advance.

Attached Files

#4 Fair Strides

Fair Strides

Aurora Engine Operator

• Administrators
  • 2,203 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:00 AM

You need the 10th, 11th, and 12th columns in spells.2da for K1. These are named after the classes themselves and the number in that column determines when a Force power is available for that class.

(By the way, if you ever want to ask about one of the quotes, feel free to send me a PM)

My personal, made-up quote: "To know is good, but to act is better."

"Words are just words, thoughts thoughts, but actions...actions are progress." - Fair Strides

"Intelligence and respect are all it takes to get along fine. Not a bad trade off, huh?" - EwigD from GameFaqs

"And regarding butchering the language, I have been to the internet. The language is well butchered regularly." - Malkior

"You can either live with the lies or die with the truth. Who would rather lie to live than die for telling the truth?" - Fair Strides

#5 ALPHA000102

ALPHA000102

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:56 AM

If you are referring to the columns entitled guardian, consoler, sentinel, and inate I have already done that and I understand how that works. The problem for me is that the new, unique Force Powers are not included in the spells.2da file for either of the mods and are not available in KOTOR Tool so I cannot do anything about them. I am trying to use the script files for each of the new Force Powers to make them available at Level 1. Is there anyway you could take a look at the script files shown above and try to help me? Thank you in advance.

#6 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

The reason why they're not in spells.2da is because the spells.2da file in those downloads is the vanilla one. These mods are installed with TSL Patcher so they copy the vanilla spells.2da to the Override folder and then modify it. For your combination mod, you need to have these changes in your 2da file as well. And since TSL Patcher should make them compatible anyway, I suggest you just install both of them on top of whatever mods you already had installed and then go to your Override folder and modify the files there.

#7 ALPHA000102

ALPHA000102

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

I am sorry but your post makes no sense to me. I will need more information. What do you mean by vanilla one? And if rows are not included for the new Force Powers are not included in the spells.2da file I do not know how to make the changes. Can you help me? Thank you in advance.

#8 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:34 AM

Okay, in modding the term "vanilla" refers to the unaltered, original game files, i.e. what you usually start with when making a mod.

Now to TSLPatcher: You must have noticed that many mods, including those two you posted above, come with a .exe file that's usually called TSLPatcher.exe. What is that and why does it exist? Let's start with the latter.

For that let's assume that two mods alter appearance.2da as an example. Let's say one of them changes Mission's look and the other one changes Bastila's look. If both of those simply provided their modified appearance.2da file, you cannot use them together unless you're a modder and know how to merge them. That was the case in the very early days of KotOR modding. But lucky for us, stoffe developed a tool called TSLPatcher that fixes these incompabilities.

How is that done? It's really simple actually: Instead of providing the modified appearance.2da file, you provide a .txt file (called changes.txt) in a folder calles "tslpatchdata" together with the TSLPatcher.exe. When the user runs TSLPatcher.exe, it will look for changes.txt and apply these changes to the corresponding files in the game's Override folder. So now if two mods modify the same .2da file, they won't conflict anylonger as they simply apply their changes to the same file, thus merging the mods.

There's a little more to it: What if the file to be modified doesn't exist in the user's Override folder? Then it couldn't be modified. This is why a vanilla copy of that file is also placed in the tslpatchdata folder and TSLPatcher is told to copy this to the Override, unless a file of the same name is already present. Then the changes will be applied. So either TSLPatcher applies those changes to the already existing and most likely modded file in the Override or to a fresh vanilla file copied there.

This is why you NEVER copy the files from tslpatchdata to the Override. Mods simply won't work then, as they require the changes done by TSLPatcher. The same is true in your case: spells.2da is a commonly modified file, so instead of providing the modified files, the two authors of the mods you posted, use TSLPatcher. That's why the spells.2da files in the mod archives do not list the new force powers. Those are vanilla files. Only when properly installing the mod by running TSLPatcher.exe, these new rows will be added to the spells.2da in the Override folder. This is why you have to install the mods first, before you can make changes to them (or you make these changes in changes.txt but I wouldn't recommend that).

This is also why there's no work required to make them compatible. You install both of them and thanks to TSLPatcher they will work together. Then you can of course apply your desired changes afterwards, but manually making them compatible is not necessary.

#9 ALPHA000102

ALPHA000102

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:19 AM

I am sorry to say that I lost my baseitems.2da file in a recent computer error. I have extracted the default one that came with the game. I would like to know which columns I need to edit for all the armor in order to allow all Force Powers to be used by all types of armor. I know there are mods for this but I have had trouble with them and want to solve the directly. Thank you in advance.

#10 Effix

Effix

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

I believe that is the forbiditemmask column in spells.2da, set to value 0x0000 to not restrict that force power to a certain armor type.

zBtNZ4u.png

#11 ALPHA000102

ALPHA000102

Jedi Padawan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:53 PM

Thank you for providing the help. I was able to get that issue resolved. Now could you please help me with my thread topic at: http://deadlystream....ing-a-new-npc/? The last post from me at the bottom will provide the most details. It is the final issue I need help with for the near future. Once it is taken care of I will be able to dive in and enjoy playing Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic. Thank you in advance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jedi, Blasters, Regeneration, Skills, Level-Up, Points, Modding, Powers, Forces, Features

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users