Vallen128

How can I find the default texture files for KotOR?

I'm planning on reducing the Graphic Modification v5.0 textures to vanilla size, as I love the style of the mod, but I have yet to upgrade from 128MB of VRAM. Thing is, in order to reduce them to vanilla, I first need to know the size of each vanilla file. So I've been tinkering around in the game files, trying to figure out where and how to extract them, but to no avail. If I can't figure it out, I guess I'll just reduce them all by 50 or 75%.

Also, because these textures were originally from a Russian site, asking permissions to upload a reduced version here might be difficult. If I can't find a way to reach the original author (Dark Hope?), would I be allowed to post my changes on this site if my little project works out?

Also, because these textures were originally from a Russian site, asking permissions to upload a reduced version here might be difficult. If I can't find a way to reach the original author (Dark Hope?), would I be allowed to post my changes on this site if my little project works out?

Dark Hopa (previously known as Cache71) is a member here. Go to her profile page and send her a PM about your question.

Dark Hopa (previously known as Cache71) is a member here. Go to her profile page and send her a PM about your question.

Ohh... On the other site the author was "Dark Hope," so I figured they were different people. Didn't connect that... Anyway, I'll check with her if my project works out. Thanks for the reply!

I would suggest contacting her now.  Having the permissions set would be necessary before uploading.

To find the vanilla texture size, you need KotOR Tool. Once you installed that and opened that, you'll find a tree view with one tree for KotOR 1 and one for KotOR 2. You'll obviously need the one for K1, so expand it. Then go to ERFs -> TexturePacks in the tree view. In there you'll see four texture packs: swpc_tex_gui.erf has all the GUI textures, sorted by name. Each of the other packs contains all non-gui textures but in different quality. The one ending on "a" has the textures for high quality graphic settings, "b" for medium and "c" for low.

Choose whichever you want your mod to be based on. You can click on the .erf file and on the right you'll get a button called "Extract entire ERF file". That's probably what you want to do, instead of extracting them one by one. The result will be tons of .tga files that you can use to find the vanilla texture sizes (not all are the same of course).

• Like 1

I would suggest contacting her now.  Having the permissions set would be necessary before uploading.

Yes, I understand that, but what I was saying was I'm going to test my project myself and make sure it even works to see if I even need to bug her about permissions. I would not upload without her permission. 

To find the vanilla texture size, you need KotOR Tool. Once you installed that and opened that, you'll find a tree view with one tree for KotOR 1 and one for KotOR 2. You'll obviously need the one for K1, so expand it. Then go to ERFs -> TexturePacks in the tree view. In there you'll see four texture packs: swpc_tex_gui.erf has all the GUI textures, sorted by name. Each of the other packs contains all non-gui textures but in different quality. The one ending on "a" has the textures for high quality graphic settings, "b" for medium and "c" for low.

Choose whichever you want your mod to be based on. You can click on the .erf file and on the right you'll get a button called "Extract entire ERF file". That's probably what you want to do, instead of extracting them one by one. The result will be tons of .tga files that you can use to find the vanilla texture sizes (not all are the same of course).

This was very informative, thank you!