6 replies to this topic

#1 ALPHA000102

ALPHA000102

Jedi Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:25 AM

I am having trouble editing the dialog for KOTOR. I know you can edit the script to increase rewards for things like bounties, duels, and swoop racing. However now I want to know how to edit the dialog that characters use in order to make them match For example on Tatoonie I have changed the 20 racing bond payout I receive from Motta to 80. Now I want to the dialog so that his line: "How does... 20 racing bonds sound?" actually says "How does... 80 racing bonds sound?". I am able to bring up the dialog in the editor but when I try to type in the text box it does not respond. Can anyone provide any advice? Do you know of a dialog editor that will work? Thank you in advance?

#2 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

In vanilla, Dialog lines are stored in a file called Dialog.tlk where wach line of Dialog is assigned a numeric value, the so called string reference. So instead of saving the text itself in a .dlg file, only the string ref is saved.
In your Dialog Editor, there is a field called strref or Stringref or something like that. You Can either replace This value with a value for your new line and then add that line to Dialog.tlk or You Can Change it to -1 and then enter your Text in the text field.

Signatur_zpsdlwsov7b.jpg

#3 ALPHA000102

ALPHA000102

Jedi Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:46 PM

I see you are to cover both in one post. Could you please break it down into step-by-step instructions and tell me when you use each program please? Specifically how do I make the script I am trying to increase swoop bond payouts and change their dialog to match. It would be real helpful too if you could attach some images to your post as well. I am a visual learner. It is extremely hard for me to understand something purely through text which is why I made this post.

Also the new private message I sent to you. Could you please compile the script and then send them back to me? I cannot save them in compiled form either through KOTOR Tool. Thank you in advance.

#4 DarthTyren

DarthTyren

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationKotor Tool, 3DS Max, JRLEdit, After Effects, Pro Tools...

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:19 PM

I cannot save them in compiled form either through KOTOR Tool.

Really? Do you have the nwscript.nss in your game's override directory? If not, there's your reason.

As for a dialog editor, how about DLG Editor?

And here's a picture of the interface.

DLG Editor

At the top right of the bottom half of the screen, that's where you see the text box, but it's grayed out because it's actually using a String Reference to the Dialog.tlk file in your game directory. That StrRef box can be changed to -1, which will get rid of the reference and turn the box white, which means you can type your text in there.

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. -Philippians 1:6

PartySwap on ModDB

#5 ALPHA000102

ALPHA000102

Jedi Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

I have tried to delete the StrRef box to -1 like you spoke of. However when I do that it deletes the entire. How do I get access to the box where I can the line but edit the text? On many lines I want to leave the original lines, settings, and references in place, I just to be able to change a few words here and there? Thank you in advance.

#6 DarthTyren

DarthTyren

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationKotor Tool, 3DS Max, JRLEdit, After Effects, Pro Tools...

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:04 PM

When you set the StrRef to -1, you can make the text say whatever you want it to.

For example, before you edited the line, it had a StrRef that pointed it to this:

"You passed the second tier and have earned 30 racing bonds. I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to sign you up."

Afterward, when you set the StrRef to -1, you can then type the new text in.

"You passed the second tier and have earned 80 racing bonds. I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to sign you up."

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. -Philippians 1:6

PartySwap on ModDB

#7 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:13 PM

Just changing a few words is not possible as that specific line is stored in dialog.tlk. Changing even one word requires you to set the StrRef to -1 and type in a completely new line even if you only want to change one word.

Signatur_zpsdlwsov7b.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ScriptDialog, Editing, Modding, Words, Jedi, Credits, Bonds, Dueling, Swoop

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users