Akisai

K1 Male Head Hair Glitch

Hello everyone. I've spent the better half of a day installing K1 on my macbook pro (10.7.5) through wineskin while trying to bring it as up to date as I can with HD retexture mods and bug fixes So far it's been smooth sailing in almost every department along with the TSL patchers and plethora of file downloads and extracts in the override section of the installation folder but I have come across a rather annoying graphical glitch that seems to get the better of me.

On one of the male heads, PMHA05 to be exact, has this rather peculiar shiny glow on the fringes of his hair. I'm not quite sure which mod could be the culprit or what this type of glitch is even called so I can google it more thoroughly, so here I am asking for your assistance. Ideally i'd rather not have to reinstall every single mod from the beginning trying to trace it as it was quite a time consuming process to begin with. I moved the whole override folder with every mod from the main K1 partition and booted the game up and the hair is fine otherwise with no mods so it must be something that's not playing nice and not a wineskin or driver issue.

As for the mods I've downloaded, I followed snigaroo's full build guide to a tee in hopes of not running into any compatibility issues.
 https://www.reddit.com/r/kotor/comments/3c2kvw/kotor_1_and_2_mod_builds_guaranteed_compatibility/

Aside from all of the ones he suggested, I also installed the NPC overhaul, Weapon Model Retexture Overhaul, and Vanilla Mask overhaul from here afterwards since they weren't on his list.

Any ideas what could be the culprit that's not playing nice, or what this type of glitch is even called? I've attached a few screenshots.

post-26038-0-06483800-1491115676_thumb.png

post-26038-0-42172500-1491115677_thumb.png

post-26038-0-69600400-1491115678_thumb.png

That looks like a case of your transparency being set to CM_Baremetal. The default head texture uses a minor amount of transparency to get rid to the flat seams on the fringe of the hair.(found as the Alpha Layer if you were to open it in Photoshop)

If you look inside your Override folder and find a file called PMHA05.txi, and read the file, there may be "Envmaptexture CM_Baremetal" If so, deleting the line from the .TXI or deleting the .TXI itself should remove the effect.

Interesting. I have neither of those files in the override folder. One of the mods in snigaroo's guide was the Realistic Visual effects which had a bolded addendum to specifically look for those two files (CM_Baremetal.tga and CM_Baremetal.txi) and delete them, which I remember doing after installing it. The only other player head mod I have is a PMHC04 mullet clean up mod, which installed fine and isn't showing any issues, at least on that particular head model.

Don't know if this is still relevant to some one, but the same hapenned to me,  i installed this list of mods 

plus JC's Fashion Line I - Cloaked Jedi Robes for K1 v1.1,  [K1]_Dark_Jedi_Wear_Robes_for_JC's_Cloaked_Robes_v1.0, Movie Robes 2.1 and Seikan's Armors of the Old Republic 2.2. The appearance.2da file  in Seikan's Armors was the one that activated the glitch on head PMHA05.

So, if anyone know how to fix that, besides uninstalling the mod, PLEASE tell me.

If you are on Windows, you can try the follow. Download GLOverride:

http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=Cool&ID=5

and extract it into the game's base directory (i.e. alongside swkotor.exe).  Open opengl32.ini in a text editor and change

FixClamp = 0

to

FixClamp = 1

then save it. Run the game and see if that makes any difference.

I would be curious to hear if you also have the grass problem, where characters legs are invisible behind grass.

• Like 2

No, it doesn't work and the reshade software stopped working, also i haven't  the grass problem at least in taris undercity. i have to check it when i get to dantooine.

Yes, it uses the same OpenGL DLL hijacking trick that Reshade and similar things use, so you can only have one at a time.

Do you have PMHA05.tga in your Override folder? If not, then presumably your GPU doesn't like the Blending Punchthrough semantic. What video card do you have?

• Light Side Points 1

a radeon rx560, but the glitch is caused by the appearance.2da in the mod i mentioned earlier, if i restore that file to the backup one the glitch is gono, also the armors of the mod

14 hours ago, Sin31 said:

...the glitch is caused by the appearance.2da in the mod i mentioned earlier, if i restore that file to the backup one the glitch is gono...

You could take a look at row 148, 149 and 150 there - on their envmap column what they're set to? They should be as DEFAULT to have the alpha/blending punchthrough for the head part and/or appropriate armor shader to work properly.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot ebmar, that was it. The envmap was set to cm_baremetal, actually a lot of rows in that file are set to cm_baremetal, don't know if that's going to cause more glitches in the future, maybe.

Also thanks to DarthParametric for trying to help. 👍

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sin31 said:

...that was it.

Cool! Glad to hear the good news. :cheers:

The envmap was set to cm_baremetal, actually a lot of rows in that file are set to cm_baremetal...

Few were intended to have CM_Baremetal or such, just make sure that with model type [separated head - body model such as playable characters] they're all set as DEFAULT. You'll figure it out eventually. Presumably you're using Seikan's armor mod I believe you'll need TXI files for each texture to accommodate the removed shader. You can make one by generating a TXT [notepad/text] file, change the extension to TXI, open it with Notepad++ or anything similar and insert this:

envmaptexture CM_Baremetal

- save it and rename to match the texture's name, so now they go as pair whenever you install them [e.g. PMBJ02.tga - PMBJ02.txi].

Edited by ebmar
  • Thanks 1

Hello, 

I'm having a very similar issue to the ones described above. I am using Seikan's Armor and a custom player head mod (Kira Carsen). When the player character is equipped with these armors, they appear transparent when the .2a file is set to "DEFAULT". When I change the file to "CM_Baremetal" the armor is no longer transparent and has a gloss effect which is good. However, my player's hair suddenly becomes full of metallic glowing edges. 

If there is anyway to keep the solid armor, and not have glowing hair, please let me know. Thank you.