I_Jedi

TSLRCM's take on Bao-Dur's endgame fate?

There's a fair difference between what Chris Avellone/Obsidian intended and what can be pulled off successfully in the context of the game. In terms of his character arc, his main concern in the game is Telos and finding redemption through the planet's healing. It would thus make sense that his dying sacrifice would be to make sure that Telos doesn't fall to the sith. This would have to be a created content kinda deal, since there isn't really a great place for him to have a game-changing sacrifice.

HK factory wouldn't cut it I don't think since mostly that has to do with HK-47's personal goals.

That's what I have to say about it anyways.

That's already explained ingame during the "mind reading" lesson...

Yeah, you are right, Hassat. Sorry, completely forgot about it.

Still, rather than explanation it was merely a statement. It is NEVER properly explained WHY it is possible that Kreia couldn't read his thoughts. She just said that "his thoughts are more difficult, requiring many translations in meaning" and that "he is deaf to you, his impulses cold like a deadweight and his thoughts black". And then she gets angry when you tell her that you can actually hear him. Really strange if you ask me. Maybe this is meant to stay a mystery... After all, the Force is meant to be mysterious.

So, even if "make Bao-Dur repairing the ship and then leave him unconscious" solution would not explain Traya's inability to predict his fate, I still love the idea.

That's already explained ingame during the "mind reading" lesson...

The reasons why Bao-Dur *should die* get thinner and thinner here... :/

I agree. No need to kill him off at all. With what little there is to work with, I think that keeping him alive would actually work out better. At this point, anything's better than just having him fall off the face of the galaxy like he does in the vanilla game.

There's a fair difference between what Chris Avellone/Obsidian intended and what can be pulled off successfully in the context of the game. In terms of his character arc, his main concern in the game is Telos and finding redemption through the planet's healing. It would thus make sense that his dying sacrifice would be to make sure that Telos doesn't fall to the sith. This would have to be a created content kinda deal, since there isn't really a great place for him to have a game-changing sacrifice.

HK factory wouldn't cut it I don't think since mostly that has to do with HK-47's personal goals.

That's what I have to say about it anyways.

I think that this had something to do with each party NPC having their own personal quest; i.e., Handmaiden becoming better than her sisters, and with Kreia possibly being her mother; Disciple and the holocrons; Mandalore gathering the clans; HK-47 and the mystery of the HK factory; T3M4 and the Droid warehouse (and possibly more); Mira and Hanharr (possibly more here, too); Visas and Nihilus/ coming to grips with the destruction of her homeworld; etc... There was obviously supposed to be quite a bit more meat to this game; Obsidian just didn't have the time.

I'm pretty sure that saving Telos was supposed to be Bao-Dur's personal quest.

Wow, this thread is... old. Anyway, for those of you who heard (read) me say that I would attempt to add a scene showing Bao-Dur and T3 fixing up the ship, well, your desire have been party-way fulfilled! I still have some work to do on it but a lot of the work for it is done. I actually did most of it back in July but I had a big move since then and haven't had the time for this... until now. We'll see how future progress goes.

This has given me a great idea for a mod! Once the Extended Enclave is finished, I'm gonna have a go at killing him at Telos. He already has unused lines saying "I have to do this, or I will do inside." That really does make sense with him dying on Telos. Thanks guys! I'll let you know what happens!

I know, but it doesn't really mean anything in normal TSLRCM. What has he got to do?

The next location is Telos, so it seems like "If we could save something in the galaxy" is foreshadowing that Bao-Dur was going to do something upon your return there.

Guest Gatherum

I would theorise that the confusion regarding Bao-Dur's death or survival, as well as Kreia's inability to read him or make any greater prediction regarding his future than that of the droids (read: none), is indicative of multiple failed stages of development. It looks to be like they originally intended for Bao-Dur to sacrifice himself, or to be sacrificed, in order to protect something or to ensure that the Exile completes her mission. However, very late in development, this idea may have been scrapped in favour of making his future more open, perhaps in anticipation of a sequel or publication that would feature him prominently, but considering the time constraints, they were unable to work out any sensible resolution for him, nor to remove those scenes that intimated his death. Ultimately, no direct sequel or publication has been produced of yet and there is no way to tell if it will ever occur.

Is it possible for Bao-Dur to be playable without his remote? I'm writing a story for his death/disappearance. How it proceeds depends on whether or not the program allows this.

I played through the game finally, and have to say the team has done a great job. The only thing is that I'm confused as to where Bao-dur went - Atton mentions he's gone missing along with HK-47 in the Telos attack. After that... nothing. Am I missing something here?

On a slightly related note, I was formerly a tester with Team Gizka's TSLRP and I recall that their version of the Trayus Academy was slightly different. So Kreia mentions that freeing the Exile's companions will cost him/her something, yet it doesn't. In TSLRP it cost Constitution points for every ally freed - was that something that Team Gizka made up, or is it something the TSLCM team chose not to include etc?

Yes, there's missing something from Bao-Durs ending, we just don't know what as it isn't included in the game files. The most common assumption based on one available line "Make my sacrifice matter" is that he went with HK to the HK factory and sacrificed himself in some way.

And yes, the lost constitution points were probably made up by Team Gizka and not something restored.

There is a line that may indicate he left when the ship returns to Citadel Station. It's an Atton line. Can post the exact quote when I get home.

Wasn't it stated by somebody that Bao-Dur died at Telos? Maybe a stray bomb hit the Restoration Zones when he was taking HK there. :P

I believe Chris Avellone himself said the original plan was for Bao-Dur to die during the Battle of Telos. However, given that the line about his sacrifice was never voiced, perhaps that idea was changed and they never had time to implement the new idea they had for him

Given the context of Kreia's line about saving the Exile's friends weakening her/him, what exactly does it mean now? It seems sort of out of place considering it changes literally nothing whether you do or not

I believe Chris Avellone himself said the original plan was for Bao-Dur to die during the Battle of Telos. However, given that the line about his sacrifice was never voiced, perhaps that idea was changed and they never had time to implement the new idea they had for him

Given the context of Kreia's line about saving the Exile's friends weakening her/him, what exactly does it mean now? It seems sort of out of place considering it changes literally nothing whether you do or not

Hmm... Sacrifice? Maybe he had to do something which involved him dying to keep the Telos shields working during the attack?

1) So I had to go diving back into the interviews. Citations from actual Obsidian sources or it's just fan-fiction wanking.  ::sigh::

This was part of an interview that TPIOM did with Chris Avellone.

Question 10. What happened with Bao-Dur - we know that he was supposed to die near the end because of the: "make my sacrifice matter line".

Answer: Bao-Dur . . . we just didn't have time to finish his thread, but if I recall (it's been a while), he was supposed to die on the attack on Telos to help HK-47 get to the HK-50 factory and shut it down to save the planet.

(Read the whole thing here. Or if you prefer, read the same interview on Avellone's own old blog at Obsidian's site.)

2) The exact quote that every one likes to reference but few actually have heard from Bao-Dur was the line "Make my sacrifice matter." It wasn't and isn't in the game. (Look all you want for it on the discs.)

It was - however - on a sound file that was on the original official KOTOR2 site. The file had sound clips from a wide range of the voice actors including Roger G. Smith (the voice actor for Bao-Dur).  Music from the game was behind each and every line - rendering the Bao-Dur sample unusable in TSLRCM or any other mod.

Obviously, that official KOTOR2 site is long gone. But here's the sound file if you'll only stop talking about it. ;)

Bao-Dur - Make My Sacrifice Matter (with music).mp3

It was - however - on a sound file that was on the original official KOTOR2 site. The file had sound clips from a wide range of the voice actors including Roger G. Smith (the voice actor for Bao-Dur).  Music from the game was behind each and every line - rendering the Bao-Dur sample unusable in TSLRCM or any other mod.

Hmmm... a script to stop the area music and using this line in the same module that has that music... Should work just fine... >_> <_ o_o>

Hmmm... a script to stop the area music and using this line in the same module that has that music... Should work just fine...

Feel free to test it as the file's out there to play with now.

This has probably been asked before, but what does TSLRCM do - or intend to do - about Bao-Dur's absence from the endgame just before and during Malachor V? His voice-over is heard on the Ebon Hawk, but we don't see him bodily, and he never appears during the events of Malachor. During the attack on Telos, Grenn notes his absence, but nothing ever comes of it.

I'm aware that Bao-Dur was at one point in development slated to die, and the final release on the Xbox reflected that with him being gone with no explanation. But with TSLRCM neatly resolving the fate of your companions (Mandalore leads them to safety, but Bao-Dur's not with them), I'm curious what the mod's intentions are regarding Bao-Dur's fate.

While I'm at it, one Malachor cutscene shows the Ebon Hawk falling into oblivion, and then a much later cutscene shows it flying out of that same green void. Is the implication that Bao-Dur was aboard and he fixed it? Or was it T3? Even with TSLRCM installed, there's still a few things I'm confused about.

This has probably been asked before, but what does TSLRCM do - or intend to do - about Bao-Dur's absence from the endgame just before and during Malachor V?

Nothing.