Sign in to follow this  
DarthRevan101

How to have one character shoot another during a conversation?

In a conversation with the PC and two NPCs, how can I make it so that NPC1 shoots and kills NPC2 without the conversation ending? Thanks. :)

Killing an npc in a conversation automatically aborts the conversation. Instead, you need to shoot an invisible placeable (at the same position of the npc) and then set the death animation for said npc to last as long as the rest of the conversation.

EDIT: Hassat Hunter already beat me to it. Whoops. :P

Killing an npc in a conversation automatically aborts the conversation. Instead, you need to shoot an invisible placeable (at the same position of the npc) and then set the death animation for said npc to last as long as the rest of the conversation.

EDIT: Hassat Hunter already beat me to it. Whoops. :P

That was used at Admiral Karath's death wasn't it, the death animation not the shoot ;)

You don't, really.

You instead shoot an invisible placeable near the target.

Okay that's good to know. How would I do that, then?

Not sure about K2, but this does happen in K1, doesn't it? With the Mandalorian that shoots the "wife and kids" settler in Matale Grounds. dan14ab_mand01.dlg is the dialogue file in question - it triggers script "k_pdan_mand56" when the Mandalorian shoots the NPC. Obviously the NPC doesn't talk after that. That script can be decompiled in DeNCS - it's pretty simple. It changes the Mandalorian to faction 2, the settler to faction 4, pauses the conversation and has the Mandalorian attack with an assured hit.

If you had a node where the dead NPC tried to talk, yeah - it would break the conversation. (Though I have seen a character speak a line WHILE dying, it was a good laugh). A dead NPC can't be the speaker in a node. I believe the conversation will break if the player or party is damaged, but I'd have to check. I think this also happens on the Endar Spire with the lightsaber battle - the Dark Jedi dies and then the Jedi dies. All in convo. Though in that one an invisible placeable (end01_sceneobj03) is the speaker so that both NPCs can be killed off.

Yeah, it's been a while since I scripted any action scenes but that is my recollection. There's some weirdness with the factions but NPCs can die left and right no problem. And while I think a dead speaker would break the conversation, I know a dying speaker does not: