56 replies to this topic

#41 zbyl2

zbyl2

Evil Overlord

• Administrators
  • 854 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:45 PM

Hassat said it was his idea.

Everyone seemed fine with it up to this point, so I don't really see a reason to change it, or to ban other mods if what they do is the same thing we do. I don't know what the situation with the other mod is or who disapproved it.

#42 VarsityPuppet

VarsityPuppet

Jedi Master

• Premium Member
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:46 PM

(copying the PM I sent FS)

Not sure whose idea it was originally, but we had a discussion about whether it'd be OK to use music from K1 in the credits video and consensus was that it's fine. I guess the reasoning was that we're not exactly re-releasing the music as there's no MP3 file, it's part of a BIK, so it's more like releasing a recording of K1's music.

I'm pretty sure that discussion is somewhere on the forums, not a clue whether it's in public or staff section.

I just saw the new credits video today and it seems we still use the Republic Theme.

I think there's a case to be made then that content in bink videos should be exempt from the rules of porting for those exact reasons. Another point of differentiation is that Bink video rendering and playback is not a feature unique to either KOTOR games, so it should be considered differently than the kotor .mdl or tga format.

My intention in pointing this out is to allow HK-47's mod to continue to exist.

#43 Fair Strides

Fair Strides

Aurora Engine Operator

• Administrators
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

Zbyl: Look at my post immediately before your first one.

(By the way, if you ever want to ask about one of the quotes, feel free to send me a PM)

My personal, made-up quote: "To know is good, but to act is better."

"Words are just words, thoughts thoughts, but actions...actions are progress." - Fair Strides

"Intelligence and respect are all it takes to get along fine. Not a bad trade off, huh?" - EwigD from GameFaqs

"And regarding butchering the language, I have been to the internet. The language is well butchered regularly." - Malkior

"You can either live with the lies or die with the truth. Who would rather lie to live than die for telling the truth?" - Fair Strides

#44 Sith Holocron

Sith Holocron

M4-78

• Administrators
  • 3,692 posts
  • LocationKodiak, AK (Hoth)

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:49 PM

Other mod re-approved until this is hammered out.

"Release dates are for those that don't care about quality in mods." - Me
My mods can be found here.

I tend not to accept friend requests from people that I don't know or if they lack a profile picture.

#45 N-DReW25

N-DReW25

Little Fixer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationMalachor II

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:31 AM

Also can we get people's real names in the credits please? Instead of Forum Alias. 

That to me would be a bad idea because if everyone did put their real name down people who play the mod and read the credits will have no clue as to which forum member actually worked on TSLRCM or any other big project mod that contains a rather large list of people!

#46 Domino5555

Domino5555

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:24 AM

That to me would be a bad idea because if everyone did put their real name down people who play the mod and read the credits will have no clue as to which forum member actually worked on TSLRCM or any other big project mod that contains a rather large list of people!

Well, we could put both the real names and the stage names.

#47 Sith Holocron

Sith Holocron

M4-78

• Administrators
  • 3,692 posts
  • LocationKodiak, AK (Hoth)

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:56 AM

If you want to talk about the TSLRCM trailer, use the TSLRCM forum. Want to talk about the M4-78 EP trailer, use the M4-78 EP sub-forum.  Further discussion of the trailers in this thread will be deleted.

"Release dates are for those that don't care about quality in mods." - Me
My mods can be found here.

I tend not to accept friend requests from people that I don't know or if they lack a profile picture.

#48 Kexikus

Kexikus

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

To get back on topic: The mod is done and uploaded, now it's just waiting to be approved :)

Signatur_zpsdlwsov7b.jpg

#49 milestails

milestails

Fulfiller of Mod Requests

• Moderators
  • 1,039 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:35 PM

Approved. Thanks Kexikus for taking the initiative in giving these modules their own unique themes.

I wonder why they were the same track in the first place. Laziness on the part of Soule and Bioware? Unable to come up with just one more piece of music? Mind-boggling....

Looking for a mod but can't find it? Ask over at the Mod Requests thread.

#50 LucyTheAlien

LucyTheAlien

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

Approved. Thanks Kexikus for taking the initiative in giving these modules their own unique themes.

I wonder why they were the same track in the first place. Laziness on the part of Soule and Bioware? Unable to come up with just one more piece of music? Mind-boggling....

Everything about The Sith Lords is better, everything. 

One will make the choice- all will make the journey.

#51 VarsityPuppet

VarsityPuppet

Jedi Master

• Premium Member
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

Hard to say. Could have just been an oversight too. You'd be surprised how often that happens.

#52 Eauxps I. Fourgott

Eauxps I. Fourgott

M4-78 1.3 Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

Everything about The Sith Lords is better, everything. 

Um, no.

The music, in particular, is on the whole rather worse.

I don't remember why I came here.

#53 LucyTheAlien

LucyTheAlien

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

Um, no.

The music, in particular, is on the whole rather worse.

HAHAHA!

No, sorry TSL has more depth in every conceivable way and the music is more atmospheric, closer to the score of something like Bram Stoker's Dracula or Batman Returns. Jeremy Soule's KOTOR has a few good themes but on the whole most is just a pale imitation of John Williams. 

One will make the choice- all will make the journey.

#54 Eauxps I. Fourgott

Eauxps I. Fourgott

M4-78 1.3 Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:47 PM

HAHAHA!

No, sorry TSL has more depth in every conceivable way and the music is more atmospheric, closer to the score of something like Bram Stoker's Dracula or Batman Returns. Jeremy Soule's KOTOR has a few good themes but on the whole most is just a pale imitation of John Williams. 

Not even going to bother arguing with you. For me, most of the TSL music is just boring, and annoying after a while, and there's way too much repetition of the same themes.

Obviously we have quite different gaming styles.

#55 Malkior

Malkior

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:56 PM

HAHAHA!

No, sorry TSL has more depth in every conceivable way and the music is more atmospheric, closer to the score of something like Bram Stoker's Dracula or Batman Returns. Jeremy Soule's KOTOR has a few good themes but on the whole most is just a pale imitation of John Williams.

They are two entirely different styles. Kotor 1 is a story of drama of a grand scale, while Kotor 2 carries a sense of quiet dread and nonstop intrigue.

Personally I find Kotor 1 far more memorable and akin to what you hear the original three Star Wars films. However, the Kotor 2 music, if used appropriately, (Which I feel Obsidian kind of didn't do) carries a lot of the weight of the story and pulls you into how complex and far-reaching the consequences of being a Force wielder can really be.
|____________>>_______>>__/

#56 Haveayap

Haveayap

Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationIn a galaxy far, far away

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:39 PM

I'm not a big fan of either games score tbh. I do much prefer K1s score though. I tend to use movie scores for both games or Shem's mod that replaces all the in game music with scores from the movies (which is great).

"No one is immune from failure. All have tasted the bitterness of defeat and disappointment. A warrior must not dwell on that failure, but must learn from it and continue on. But not all learn from their errors. That is something those who seek to dominate others know very well, and know how to exploit. If an opponent has failed once at a logic problem, his enemy will first try the same type of problem, hoping the failure will be repeated. What the manipulator sometimes forgets, and what a warrior must always remember, is that no two sets of circumstances are alike. One challenge is not like another. The would-be victim may have learned from the earlier mistake. crossing of life paths". - Thrawn

"All strive for victory. But not all understand what it truly is. To a soldier or pilot on the line, victory is surviving the current battle. To a politician, victory is an advantage one can bring to a bargaining table. To a warrior, victory is driving an enemy from the field of battle, or bringing him to surrender. Sometimes the victory is greater than the warrior could ever hope for. Sometimes it is more than he is able to bear". - Thrawn

#57 Eauxps I. Fourgott

Eauxps I. Fourgott

M4-78 1.3 Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:43 AM

Part of my opinion on the two games' soundtracks also comes from the fact that I'm a soundtrack collector, and on their own, the difference is quite noticeable to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users